Building the Storch!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You guys have to stop these group builds, I can't keep up. I still am not even close on my spitfire build. LOL
One plane I would really like to do a group build on is the FT P-47 Thunderbolt. That plane has caught my attention more then the Mustang as a Master Series

Bayboos

That is awesome man, your plane looks great on floats. I really like the rescue tug as well. In exhibit 3 is the plane just bare DTFB?

I so wanna fly off water. And I will be building a rescue boat as well.

Love it. Thx for sharing bro

Thanks. It's not DTFB at all, there's no way to get this thing here. It's plain Depron (the "original" stuff); you can find the build article here: FT Storch Depron Conversion. And the floats are just roughly chopped of styrofoam blocks; as described here: Summer Swappables - DIY Floarts. And I even described the boat (somewhat shortly) in another article: FT Storch and Mr Tug.

As you can see, I have no problem sharing everything I can :) If you have any other question, please feel free to ask; I'll be more than glad to answer.

Good luck, and have fun!

Apple Pie

Elite member
Is it built with DTFB or FTFB?
Water resistant FT foam board. I’ve been bit by the seaplane bug this summer so I’ve also built the Sea Otter, the Dornier Libelle, and my own design for a Canadair CL-415. I’ve learned quite a bit about building for water operations, partly from reading other posts and a lot from my own adventures and screw ups. I’ll start a thread on my adventures in a week or two when I get myself a little more organized.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Water resistant FT foam board. I’ve been bit by the seaplane bug this summer so I’ve also built the Sea Otter, the Dornier Libelle, and my own design for a Canadair CL-415. I’ve learned quite a bit about building for water operations, partly from reading other posts and a lot from my own adventures and screw ups. I’ll start a thread on my adventures in a week or two when I get myself a little more organized.
Yea cool man, I would be really interested in how your water proofing planes and more vids for sure. Thanks man

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It's a big wing. Trying to freehand the score cuts off the table, I cut through in more places than I'd care to count. My double-bevel is also the worst I've done since I don't know when. It's a big darn wing and difficult to work with in my build space. I knew that going into this build. Tape is my friend.

Then there's building when you're frackin' bone tired. I did A-folds on the struts, rather than B-folds. Doh! :oops: No probs. I glued them in the center, and we're going forward with the build! :cool:

20190825_004226.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
What? Are ya' all scaredy because it's tough? :devilish: It's going to be one big bird that's supposedly beautiful to fly. I'll get through it and fly that bird. Don't give up before you've started! :)
Haha - I ain’t scared. I’ve built the big guinea, which actually has a bigger wingspan than the Storch, as well as the explorer and simple soarer which are “huge” planes as well. I’ve also done some of the more complex planes like the sea angel and edge 540. (I have yet to do a master series, but I’ll do the mustang when it comes out.) It’s just that I already have the scout and cub and think it would be cool to do a jet... The closest I’ve gotten to a jet is the f-22 which is retired by now. Reminds me I want to build another one... So many planes and not enough time and supplies. Gotta pick up another box of foam and then some more servos and electronics... I might just start a Storch sometime this week if I can find the time - it seems like an awesome bird and I really want to do a group build!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Haha - I ain’t scared. I’ve built the big guinea, which actually has a bigger wingspan than the Storch, as well as the explorer and simple soarer which are “huge” planes as well. I’ve also done some of the more complex planes like the sea angel and edge 540. (I have yet to do a master series, but I’ll do the mustang when it comes out.) It’s just that I already have the scout and cub and think it would be cool to do a jet... The closest I’ve gotten to a jet is the f-22 which is retired by now. Reminds me I want to build another one... So many planes and not enough time and supplies. Gotta pick up another box of foam and then some more servos and electronics... I might just start a Storch sometime this week if I can find the time - it seems like an awesome bird and I really want to do a group build!
No probs. Just ribbing you. :love: Build what you want naturally, and have fun doing it! The Viggen was the plane I first wanted when I contacted the FT store and inquired about what plane to start with. The guy I spoke with said it definitely was NOT the Viggen! :LOL: He actually recommended the Explorer, but it was out of stock and I went with the Tiny Trainer.

If you decide to do it, I wish you luck with your Viggen build. Personally, I'm really looking forward to your maiden flight video of that one! :D

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I’m leaning my thinking over to a viggen instead of a Storch... anyone up for a viggen group build?
The Viggen would be one of the first EDF planes I would like to try... then I was talking to Headbang and Photo001 yesterday and they actually suggested Ben Harber's F4 Phantom instead... It's a flying wing on steroids so it has a wider speed envelope for slow flight to get used to its handling then put the coals to it when you are ready for some speed. I'll have to watch his video on it again. I think that's the one he crashed into the bushes on v1, not sure lol

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The Viggen would be one of the first EDF planes I would like to try... then I was talking to Headbang and Photo001 yesterday and they actually suggested Ben Harber's F4 Phantom instead... It's a flying wing on steroids so it has a wider speed envelope for slow flight to get used to its handling then put the coals to it when you are ready for some speed. I'll have to watch his video on it again. I think that's the one he crashed into the bushes on v1, not sure lol
I’d probably start off with a prop set up, and then when I feel comfortable with that do the x-29 as a 70 mm edf on 4s😁. After watching the ft video on the viggen, it seems like a really good edf starter. Josh tried to stall it but it wouldn’t stall! It can fly super slow, or it can fly super fast!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I’d probably start off with a prop set up, and then when I feel comfortable with that do the x-29 as a 70 mm edf on 4s😁. After watching the ft video on the viggen, it seems like a really good edf starter. Josh tried to stall it but it wouldn’t stall! It can fly super slow, or it can fly super fast!
That's why I wanted to go with it in the beginning now I am not sure. Gonna check out Bens You Tube channel on his F4 now

Matagami Designs

Master member
@The Hangar I Definitely want to do the edf viggen. I am a little preoccupied with my FTFC20 build and finishing the spitfire group build so it may take me a few weeks to get to it but I think you should start a thread for this. My biggest concern is the actual electronics as far as what edf to use as well as battery and esc I need to do a bit of research on this. I really enjoy the group spitfire build because of all the crazy ideas/planes coming from it so let's do this!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well hey - if you end up doin the viggen, let me know and we can do a group build!
@The Hangar I Definitely want to do the edf viggen. I am a little preoccupied with my FTFC20 build and finishing the spitfire group build so it may take me a few weeks to get to it but I think you should start a thread for this. My biggest concern is the actual electronics as far as what edf to use as well as battery and esc I need to do a bit of research on this. I really enjoy the group spitfire build because of all the crazy ideas/planes coming from it so let's do this!
Totally agree with the both of you on the group build idea. I checked out Bens vids on the F4 but it seems like a strong build for a first EDF, where the Viggen might be more simple and easier to fly. mind you if there was more footage on it I could make a better decision

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’ll get that thread started soon then! As far as electronics, I’m going to do mine as the power pack b or c version as I already have those electronics. As far as edf’s, just get a 64 mm or 60 mm edf and see what the amp draw is for the batteries you plan to do and get a patching esc. I saw a 4500 kv 64 mm edf on amazon that runs on 3s and only pulls 35 amps! However flitetest recommends a 60 amp esc, so you’ll just need to check the amp draw of the edf you want to buy and then find an esc to use with it. I’m excited to start!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Totally agree with the both of you on the group build idea. I checked out Bens vids on the F4 but it seems like a strong build for a first EDF, where the Viggen might be more simple and easier to fly. mind you if there was more footage on it I could make a better decision
The viggen is a pretty simple plane to build even though it looks deceivingly complex... nice having the easily replaceable nose too.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I’ll get that thread started soon then! As far as electronics, I’m going to do mine as the power pack b or c version as I already have those electronics. As far as edf’s, just get a 64 mm or 60 mm edf and see what the amp draw is for the batteries you plan to do and get a patching esc. I saw a 4500 kv 64 mm edf on amazon that runs on 3s and only pulls 35 amps! However flitetest recommends a 60 amp esc, so you’ll just need to check the amp draw of the edf you want to buy and then find an esc to use with it. I’m excited to start!
I will hafta ask the finance department if there is any surplus coffers up for grabs lol. How much do EDF's run for?