Rocket Glider out of foam board

Fozza

This was a great Episode from 2015.

Could you do this bigger and better with today's foam board?
Launch the plane with some type of rocket and then have the wings deploy and have a controlled glide back down onto the runway?

Free Flight and Rocket Gliders

quorneng

Master member
Not a firework rocket but an EDF. it is a scale 'rocket' (A4b version of the V-2), takes off vertically and flies like a conventional RC plane.
06May18.JPG

Its made almost entirely of 2 & 3 mm Depron.

Fozza

Not a firework rocket but an EDF. it is a scale 'rocket' (A4b version of the V-2), takes off vertically and flies like a conventional RC plane. View attachment 143055
Its made almost entirely of 2 & 3 mm Depron.

Ok well that's just awesome ! :)
Its funny looking at the quality of video how far we have come since 2009. What were you using to record the footage back then?

Do you still have it Quorneng ? Looks like it might take up some shed space :)
Thanks for sharing

L Edge

Master member
Wanted to fire this off where a transport carries this into the air, releases it and it flies down, at the low point it would be pointed nose high, fire the rocket and after it reaches the peak, fly it back down to the landing strip.

Result was I needed a bigger wing for the Bell X-1 of have a better L/D ratio. Fired it off about 6 times before its structure failed. Use 1 cell of the lipo to trigger the D rocket.

Fozza

Wanted to fire this off where a transport carries this into the air, releases it and it flies down, at the low point it would be pointed nose high, fire the rocket and after it reaches the peak, fly it back down to the landing strip.

Result was I needed a bigger wing for the Bell X-1 of have a better L/D ratio. Fired it off about 6 times before its structure failed. Use 1 cell of the lipo to trigger the D rocket.

Cool that you could trigger the ignition from the controller. When you said the structure went what happened? The body take off and leave the wings behind? 😂

quorneng

Master member
As I fly alone the video was recorded on a head mounted 808 camera.
I still have the A4b but after quite a few flights the EDF fan disintegrated just after a launch. In a very realistic manner it rose to about 30 feet, hung in the air for a second, nosed over and dived into the ground. Apart from a badly crushed nose the 8 departing fan blades also did quite a bit of damage to the rear end.
A very impractical plane as it required a virtual flat calm otherwise it simply blew over on its stand!

L Edge

Master member
Cool that you could trigger the ignition from the controller. When you said the structure went what happened? The body take off and leave the wings behind? 😂

No, the motor mount melted and seperated in flight from the body after launch.