I like the Boobys

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Added a strip of black vinyl to the leading edge and remeasured everything before marking where cg needs to be.
IMG_20190904_062822.jpg IMG_20190904_062829.jpg IMG_20190904_062919.jpg IMG_20190904_063008.jpg

headlessagain

I just used some flexible electrical insulation tape to cover the leading edge join on my Skua.
Been checking out the very sluggish servos on my NCFM Wabbit. The built in 1/3 AAA 200 mAh flat pack measure a healthy 5.3v but must be sagging under load as even a single 18650 pack powers everything fine. I've bypassed the switch/charging jack and still no better.
Can't find a suitable pack in stock anywhere so it looks like I'll have to buy a 5 cell packs and remove the surplus one

Attachments

• IMG_20190904_172011_4[1].jpg
    IMG_20190904_172011_4[1].jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

thenated0g

Mentor
Not sure what happened but of course after i got the lid glued back on and the battery charged up i had no power to the RX at all. Ripped it apart and seems like the power switch failed at some point. From battery to it it was good but out the other side it wasnt. I have continuity from the switch to the rx as well so something internal must have broken. So waiting for another switch.
IMG_20190904_154217.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Taped a little container to the center of each area that i would be placing lead weight and ended up adding about 396g of lead to get the cg marks. Which is kind of a lot considering the entire plane weighed 600g. But its fine, slope soarers like being heavy. Was kind of "fun" digging out all the foam to fit 200g in each tip, but i eventually got it in there. I heated up the bb's with my heat gun right before putting in and than put some 5 minute epoxy on top. The heat allows the epoxy to flow down thru all the bb's.
IMG_20190912_061026.jpg IMG_20190912_063134.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Started cutting out the carbon fiber parts and this morning got a simple hot box going for the initial and post cure of the epoxy.
IMG_20200116_164240.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Center section bagged and curing. Only wanted to do one section as i haven't done this thick of cloth (12oz) or carbon before. Fiberglass is a lot easier to wet out as it turns clear when you get epoxy on it.

12hrs at 80f
remove from vacuum bag
48hrs at 125f

IMG_20200121_081805.jpg IMG_20200121_082044.jpg IMG_20200121_082351.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
I actually waiting so long to try and maiden it that the nimh battery i buried inside it died. I was going to take it flying a few months back and found that out when i tried to charge it up. Since than i have removed that battery and moved to a removable LIFE pack setup so it is ready, again, to maiden. I dont know why i get hung up on some projects. Theirs just some part of the process i get afraid of and it sits. Than i come back to it later and im like why did i worry about this? it was simple.
Ill try and get an updated picture this week

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I dont know why i get hung up on some projects. Theirs just some part of the process i get afraid of and it sits. Than i come back to it later and im like why did i worry about this? it was simple.
Ill try and get an updated picture this week
I do the same thing. All worried... I stall out. then (forever and a day) later, I get back and do it, realizing the same thing. (usually). sometimes i stalled for lack of knowledge or experience. but the time I come back, I'm good to go. No rush, just wanted to see if you had maidened it. I appreciate the detail on the Fiberglassing.

I just bought the materials to hot wire, and FG, I am planning to make a larger scale Q2 - Quickee. (using rutans methods and notes.. (to see.)
I imagine It will make a great RC model. Where did you order your CF?

-FoamyDM