ABC STEM Trifecta Group Build

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
And here is how that turned out:
20191014_212919.jpg

You can see the skewer spar in the center of the 2 halves...
20191014_213044.jpg

With the top layer of the KFm wing in place, covers up the spar and strengthens the wing. I am trying out the Gorilla spray adhesive this time. I found when I sprayed directly to the FB it wetted the paper enough to bubble it up some, once glued on it wasn't an issue, thinking of it now though next time I will be removing the paper from the contact areas to see if there is a better bond.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So I looked through all the mighty mini jets and the f-22 ticks the most boxes... like the rest of you I don’t really don’t like the idea of all the extra weight in the removeable wing, so I’d like to do a fixed wing. I love inverted flying with these jets and the airfoil on the alpha/bravo would make it a bit harder to fly inverted than with the mini f-22 with a flat wing. The ft website says the bravo is the fastest and most challenging to fly, which makes it appeal to me. @SquirrelTail said the alpha if he craziest though. Is there a difference between crazy and fast? What do you all think I should do? Until my rc gets back, I’m stuck with 3 channel so unfortunately I can’t fly my ft-22 for a while, and a mini f-pack triblade prop jet is pretty appealing! 😋

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
So I looked through all the mighty mini jets and the f-22 ticks the most boxes... like the rest of you I don’t really don’t like the idea of all the extra weight in the removeable wing, so I’d like to do a fixed wing. I love inverted flying with these jets and the airfoil on the alpha/bravo would make it a bit harder to fly inverted than with the mini f-22 with a flat wing. The ft website says the bravo is the fastest and most challenging to fly, which makes it appeal to me. @SquirrelTail said the alpha if he craziest though. Is there a difference between crazy and fast? What do you all think I should do? Until my rc gets back, I’m stuck with 3 channel so unfortunately I can’t fly my ft-22 for a while, and a mini f-pack triblade prop jet is pretty appealing! 😋
I think the Alpha is the most maneuverable, the Bravo is the fastest in a straight line, and the Charlie is the most stable.

OliverW

Legendary member
From my experience with all of them, the alpha is most maneuverable and does everything you throw at it!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Do the Bravo, you already have maneuverability with a slower 22, push your speed boundaries and see how fast you can get the Bravo to rip past ya. It will scare your the pants off, and then you will want more. Like a drug

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Belly pan done:
20191015_122519.jpg

I noticed om the 22 that the front edge of the belly pan is susceptible to abuse from landings so I reinforced the hell out of the leading edges as you can see the skewers frenched into the inlets. If you look at the plans just in behind you can see how I did this, there are also skewers along the bottom of the side walls to stiffen the whole thing up.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Do the Bravo, you already have maneuverability with a slower 22, push your speed boundaries and see how fast you can get the Bravo to rip past ya. It will scare your the pants off, and then you will want more. Like a drug
Ok, well bravo it is then! Should I get a 4s? Lol - would need another esc, which I don’t want to buy right now. 3s should be a screamer though!

mayan

Legendary member
thinking of it now though next time I will be removing the paper from the contact areas to see if there is a better bond.
That would give you a better bond, expreince talking.

@BATTLEAXE great thread you got going here. I haven't had luck with the Charlie yet, broke two already. I am dying to be able to fly any one of these birds. Matter of fact I still have the wings from the Charlie intact just need to build a new fuselage for it, so I am temped to join in :). Might try to change the fuselage to fit a B pack motor. Think it will work with this type of plane or I need something with more Kv to it?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
This as far as I got so far:
20191015_141623.jpg

The pieces are actually fitting together, this is the first time I have done oversized plans and it's working out really well...
20191015_154828.jpg

This nose piece wasn't easy, had to glue the top and bottom sections an inch or two at a time each side till I got to the back of the top piece. And to keep it centred, I hope I don't mess this thing up on the first flight lol. It all fits and is pretty much ready to all be glued together, just got to make a pod to fit the firewall and it should be good to go.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

@BATTLEAXE great thread you got going here. I haven't had luck with the Charlie yet, broke two already. I am dying to be able to fly any one of these birds. Matter of fact I still have the wings from the Charlie intact just need to build a new fuselage for it, so I am temped to join in :). Might try to change the fuselage to fit a B pack motor. Think it will work with this type of plane or I need something with more Kv to it?
If you build it light, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. You would need to enlarge the whole plane or at least the prop slot to fit a 9 inch prop though. @BATTLEAXE said 135% fits a 9 inch...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

I am running the C pack on mine so it will at least run an 8x6. That's the nice thing about stepping up the motor size, even with a lower Kv you can run more pitch. More distance per revolution. The FT-22 I built was the C pack as well and it flew nice and fast. This is a little bigger airframe then the 22 so I am not sure if I will get the same speed out of it but it will fly awesome.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

Come on join the club, we don't bite.