ABC STEM Trifecta Group Build

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I've started planning where everything will go. I haven't cut out the front recess because I don't know If I'll need that much foam removed, I also just marked all the alignment holes because I don't know what they go to so I don't want to cut them out:)

It looks I'm going to have to cut out a slot in the top plate for the EDF and thrust tube, because if I don't I'll have to make the belly pan cartoonishly tall. I think going to make the little bump at the end of the hatch blend into the top of the thrust tube.
P1280316.JPG

Off to work on the spit!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Got the canopy/battery hatch figured out, it's amazing what kind of ideas you come up with mid build sometimes, unless this is just a happy accident of sorts. Check it out:
20191015_193440.jpg

Looks pretty stock right. I was thinking of making this all one piece just like the plans called for and Bix did in the build vid. But when I glued the front canopy together I made it a little narrow to fit properly on the nose, so it really squeezed onto the upper nose plate and would be hard to keep down in flight, took a bit of pressure to hold it by hand. So I glued it to the fuse...
20191015_193510.jpg

Then I cut the back part off to make the hatch. I did want to hinge it up from the canopy but this added some pressure on the top of the wing to the hatch and made things a little awkward, that idea was out. This is the cool part, literally...
20191015_193552.jpg

These little vents on each side direct air straight over the battery, ESC, and motor which is exhausted out the back. Fricken brilliant if you ask me!

I will index the front of the battery hatch with pop sticks or skewers, and the back of it will be most likely Velcro.

I still have formulate a plan for the motor pod... to be continued

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Got the canopy/battery hatch figured out, it's amazing what kind of ideas you come up with mid build sometimes, unless this is just a happy accident of sorts. Check it out: View attachment 145551
Looks pretty stock right. I was thinking of making this all one piece just like the plans called for and Bix did in the build vid. But when I glued the front canopy together I made it a little narrow to fit properly on the nose, so it really squeezed onto the upper nose plate and would be hard to keep down in flight, took a bit of pressure to hold it by hand. So I glued it to the fuse... View attachment 145552
Then I cut the back part off to make the hatch. I did want to hinge it up from the canopy but this added some pressure on the top of the wing to the hatch and made things a little awkward, that idea was out. This is the cool part, literally...
View attachment 145553
These little vents on each side direct air straight over the battery, ESC, and motor which is exhaust center out the back. Fricken brilliant if you ask me!

I will index the front of the battery hatch with pop sticks or skewers, and the back of it will be most likely Velcro.

I still have formulate a plan for the motor pod... to be continued
I'm going to be doing something similar to that...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I watched the bravo maiden josh did after the build video, and I’m getting really excited! I couldn’t help but think of doing a 135% bravo and use my c pack and make it a swappable. The other option is using an f pack. What are your thoughts?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
OK OK you all convinced me, I am in too but it will take me a little longer to build then usual :).
Welcome! Glad to have you buddy. I am anticipating what you come up with.
I watched the bravo maiden josh did after the build video, and I’m getting really excited! I couldn’t help but think of doing a 135% bravo and use my c pack and make it a swappable. The other option is using an f pack. What are your thoughts?
C Pack all the way bro, Go Big Or Go Home!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Got some figuring to do still on the motor mount. I tried to do a housing out of FB but it ended u being to chunky to fit under the hatch. I should probably explain this first lol. On the 22 the motor mount just above the wing and I tried to get it as close to vertical center to the wing as possible. On this airframe I seen an opportunity to center it completely so I went for it. I ended up making a housing out of 1/8 ply for the most part and it looked good until I installed the motor and prop.

It did slightly touch the one side of the prop pocket meaning it was out of center horizontally by 1/16". Not a big deal, shimmer it over with a couple layers of poster board and it moved away a bit. But it does look like it has a little thrust angle now though, like it will turn to the right. Might not even notice it in flight and it does well in the bench run up so I am not to worried... yet. The maiden will tell the story.

So far the to do checklist is as so:
1. cut and install Vstabs
2. install servos and control horns (be sure you glue them in)
3. install and set up electronics
4. balance and program
5. MAIDEN
6. paint, step 5 goes well

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I just checked out that box maiden of the Bravo, I wouldn't even call them maidens compared to how I maiden lol. I spend half the battery just leveling it out, he just tosses it up and rocks the hell out of it.

That being said, the Bravo is a quick little plane, did you see that snap roll, and the dive he pulled out of like 2' from the ground. Good choice on the Bravo and I can't wait to see you fly it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I just checked out that box maiden of the Bravo, I wouldn't even call them maidens compared to how I maiden lol. I spend half the battery just leveling it out, he just tosses it up and rocks the hell out of it.

That being said, the Bravo is a quick little plane, did you see that snap roll, and the dive he pulled out of like 2' from the ground. Good choice on the Bravo and I can't wait to see you fly it.
Yeah, better than mine too! I saw that - it was awesome! Super skilled...