bracesport DLG

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - the slope soaring was with my 1.2m 'V' tail DLG which was a complete disaster rolling over on discus launch - the V2 was to be the new discus launch model with a 'T' tail - the tail was way too heavy which prompted the 'V' 2.1 - lighter tail, lighter wing (newsprint version), longer nose to shift less weight further forward! :D

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - the slope soaring was with my 1.2m 'V' tail DLG which was a complete disaster rolling over on discus launch - the V2 was to be the new discus launch model with a 'T' tail - the tail was way too heavy which prompted the 'V' 2.1 - lighter tail, lighter wing (newsprint version), longer nose to shift less weight further forward! :D

Well my first one just did a nose plant :D

bracesport

Legendary member
I added some fluorescent orange to the tips and did a quick dry fit with the parts minus the T-tail - time to add my cable tie hinges to the elevator! 😀

A2055A80-AD71-4B78-B64A-C6F793B4F986.jpeg
FDE6033E-FE67-457F-A474-0CEDFD974198.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
Here are the feathers glueing to the CF boom - the clear ABS sheath is in place for the pull spring system - I used PLA 3D printed parts to mount the feathers to the boom - I used epoxy to give me more time to set the feathers at 90deg to each other - this setup be a bank and yank so the vertical stabiliser is fixed - I still need to make the wire spring.

images reduced to 1000px

IMG_7624.JPG
IMG_7625.JPG
IMG_7626.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
chipping away - today I started adding the wing mounts for 4x 3mm 3D printed screw mounts - I have drilled all four holes but only glued one of the mounts in with high strength epoxy - I want to ensure they are all aligned and the nose is straight so I will the second one tomorrow and follow with the final two!

I also weighed the battery/servos/Rx/BEC @50g - then weighed all the sub-assemblies @260g - so without any CG balancing weight, the minimum we can expect is 260g! :D

IMG_7639.JPG
IMG_7640.JPG
IMG_7637.JPG
IMG_7638.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
chipping away - today I started adding the wing mounts for 4x 3mm 3D printed screw mounts - I have drilled all four holes but only glued one of the mounts in with high strength epoxy - I want to ensure they are all aligned and the nose is straight so I will the second one tomorrow and follow with the final two!

I also weighed the battery/servos/Rx/BEC @50g - then weighed all the sub-assemblies @260g - so without any CG balancing weight, the minimum we can expect is 260g! :D

View attachment 145650 View attachment 145651 View attachment 145652 View attachment 145653
That's a really nice finish on the wing.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - thankyou, yes, I am really liking the newsprint covering as a thrifty way to finish the wings - like all topcoats, it is only as good as the undercoat - so imperfections in the laminated wing do show up - thinking ahead, I need to improve my hot wire work on the feather edges of the TE's the DTFB is pretty low quality - also I did not sand the newsprint or use a primer so room for improvement there - nevertheless, I am wrapped with the progress so far - I would say that the paper adhesion is just good enough, and next time I will thin the glue to 80% rather than 50%! :D

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Tonight I glued in the servos - 2x5g for the ailerons and 1x9g for the horizontal stabiliser - I beefed up the tail servo as will be setup as a pull string and I have never done one before and wanted to add a safety factor.

The Rx and battery have plenty of space this time as I extended the nose 50mm - more space, but more importantly I can add less nose weight further from the wing moment (well that’s the plan)! 😀

Images reduced to 1000px

E11C92D3-303A-4AD1-8333-06A7110D09E5.jpeg
703A2638-0E4C-49AC-A16E-BC03F564DDC3.jpeg
5860F706-E050-4A62-88E2-A9DE78056BCF.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
Ever so close now - the wing fits onto the fuse well (screws are a tad long) - 230g for the wing and fuse fully kitted out with servos, Rx, and battery!

Dry fitted the boom and tail which looks good - I need to look at the CG and it’s effect on the tail length.

@Wildthing - I cracked my fuse right at the front of the LE of the wing so I snapped it off and will print a reinforcement there - where did you crack yours?

Images reduced to 1000px

66F1E44F-5E0D-4FC7-A922-D1CC5F584481.jpeg
1F8A7DAB-6384-46D8-AD4D-50DE3F41E5F9.jpeg
03C376F9-951F-4B03-AED8-37075D1752F1.jpeg
F3C6E4B8-DFD7-497B-AB63-2D5DCF055D8F.jpeg

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Ever so close now - the wing fits onto the fuse well (screws are a tad long) - 230g for the wing and fuse fully kitted out with servos, Rx, and battery!

Dry fitted the boom and tail which looks good - I need to look at the CG and it’s affect on the tail length.

@Wildthing - I cracked my fuse tight at the front of the LE of the wing so I snapped it off and will print a reinforcement there - where did you crack yours?

Images reduced to 1000px

When you calculate the cg don't you use an online cg calculator?
Mine cracked just behind where your antennas are.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - looks like that area is to weak as mine cracked in the same general area - problem with the thin wall and layers - if this think flies I will add some reinforcement in the design!

bracesport

Legendary member
I am setting up this v2 to run on the Jumper T16 and although I am a nube to flying I’m a geek on the programming and I am loving OTX!

The DLGs are really interesting with all the settings they use - So far I have ailerons with differential on three rates (high, medium, low) with a flap option using a bit of elevator compensation driven by the throttle stick to slow down - DLGs often have a snap flap function which ties a bit of aileron camber or reflex into the elevator movement to smooth out pitching (down elevator will have some reflex, and up elevator some camber) - I have also built in some set camber options for lift or speed modes.

my DLG is probably not sophisticated to fully leverage these options, but what the heck (I don't have to turn them on)!

I almost forgot - The Rx has Vario built in so I will also turn on the telemetry for alt and climb/sink

Overkill - YES

Fun - we will see!