slope soaring

bracesport

Legendary member
So what is really amazing is I posted my slope video over at RCgroups in the slope section that @thenated0g suggested and wow what great feedback I have received on setting up and flying these ships - but what I really wanted to tell you guys is that 'Bob' in the great US of A gave me a contact for a guy 'Alex Hewson' in Christchurch (the other island in NZ), who put me in touch with 'Jono Ashton' who is in my city of Wellington, and we are going to fly together (soon)!

as it turns out Alex Hewson is a speed demon with Dynamic Soaring

Small world - Amazing!

mayan

Legendary member
So what is really amazing is I posted my slope video over at RCgroups in the slope section that @thenated0g suggested and wow what great feedback I have received on setting up and flying these ships - but what I really wanted to tell you guys is that 'Bob' in the great US of A gave me a contact for a guy 'Alex Hewson' in Christchurch (the other island in NZ), who put me in touch with 'Jono Ashton' who is in my city of Wellington, and we are going to fly together (soon)!

Small world - Amazing!
Hell yeah, now I am positive that we will see more videos and flying from you :).

Wildthing

Legendary member

Small world - Amazing!

Quite the circle and you end up right at home with a neighbor. :)

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Yeah once i started meeting up with some older guys it really started making sense. 90% of slope soaring is know where to go and how to know when the wind is correct which is really a lot of word of mouth. With a good spot and correct wind you can slope anything, but with a bad spot and bad wind even the best ship is going to be a pain. Glad you got somebody to fly with. Really fun chasing eachother back and forth.

bracesport

Legendary member
it is done!

to cut a long story short - I met up with Jono Ashton at his slope site - what a cliff - it was blowing 40-60kph and I thought it was a no go - Jono put one of his ships in the air, a 2kg 1.2m V tail and flew it like there was a light breeze - after that he said lets give it a go - out came the Spitfire and he said it was too light - we added 400g of lead on the wing - after Jono trimmed it he handed me the sticks and here is the video (I actually flew it twice and he landed it both times for me) - KAPOW I can do this!

what a rush!

Spit.JPG
Spit weights.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
but wait - there's more!

Jono told me the wind would be strong so bring something heavy - why not maiden the Vista (finally) - here is a snippet of proof of flying (my hat cam was set too low so I had 4gigs of nothing) - I will sift through it carefully for some more footage!

no prop (taped closed), just a small 2cell and a BEC - I also added 400g to the wing for ballast!

the Vista was easier to fly than the Spitfire in the high wind!

Vista.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
for a couple of short posts (above), they do not fully sum up the experience today - regardless of the hat cam not getting much footage I will sift through it and post something - especially the wind so you can see just how strong it was!

I could hardly hold onto the planes at launch and it was impossible without one hand on the fuse and the other on the LE of the wing - I should mention we tried the Versa (way too light) and it just went vertical and back behind us (luckily no damage) - after trimming, the Spit still wandered a bit to the right but was such a thrill to fly - I had her set on about 10deg of aileron throw and that was easily heaps to fly smoothly - the Vista was trimmed better and flew hands-off - Jono could roll it and loop it but I was not game to tempt fate - both ships came home in one piece to fly another day! :D

Piotrsko

Master member
Well firstly, it isnt 40 once you've gotten away from the face, more like 20 & 10 up. Bernoulli says it speeds up to go around things. The trick is being able to get past the face. THAT is a great site, hope it's close.

@bracesport : no fear of landing on beach? Remember all that stuff I preached about heavy? Not sure about taping those weights on the top, gonna ugly up stuff when you take them off. Pretty spit, going to ruin you for parking lot power planes. Don't hang around with those speedy guys, it will take over your life, speed is addicting like heroin.

Go to a tire shop and get a strip or two of tire weights as they cut to neat pieces and have decent stick already on the back side. Use them as landing skids

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - here is the official hat video of the Maiden of the Spitfire - pilot Jono Ashton - my i6s does not have trims on the front face, so Jono flew it and landed so we could do any trim adjustments (needed some up elevator) - time to move to the T16!

there is a lot of wind noise and idle chit chat!

bracesport

Legendary member
@Piotrsko - great tip on the tyre weights, I got the bulbous ones from the fishing shop - on the day I didn't worry too much about the beach, as I was hoping I could hand the Tx back to Jono - I am still fizzing today! :D

my little DLG did not stand a chance for a launch - @260g it would have been blown away!

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - here is the official hat video of the Maiden of the Spitfire - pilot Jono Ashton - my i6s does not have trims on the front face, so Jono flew it and landed so we could do any trim adjustments (needed some up elevator) - time to move to the T16!

there is a lot of wind noise and idle chit chat!

Very nice, spit looks great when in the picture frame . ;) Glad I am not the only . :D
Is this close to home?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Seeing the Spitfire fly makes me want to put my projects on hold to build it to build it.

Thanks for the Vids, Links, and sharing your trials, fails and successes. I still REALLY like your Hex fuse on your glider there. (even though you aren't as big a fan.

bracesport

Legendary member
@FoamyDM - if you are referring to the yellow fuse red wing glider I smashed, I have a new 3D printed fuse for the wing build (far right in the image) that just needs a tail - I will go for the V tail as I love that look! :D

IMG_7656.JPG