The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - what does the 2D Howard plan show for the wing incidence (if any)?

a question for anyone - is it possible that the wing is too slow under-speed - I remember the LE was quite thick and maybe that is having some effect?

mayan

Legendary member
Adding a positive wing incidence would make it lift even more. Adding the PWI probably negated the change in your motor angle you added.
I am clueless :/.

a question for anyone - is it possible that the wing is too slow under-speed - I remember the LE was quite thick and maybe that is having some effect?
I’ll have to check later today can’t remember but I think it had none.

mayan

Legendary member
He's saying that if you raised the front of the wing, it increased the lift. If you did that, then it counteracted any downthrust you added. They would cancel each other out.
I got that, and thought about that too but still am clueless because it seemed to fly better with both changes. CLUELESS!

basslord1124

Master member
All right, I'm done lurking...time to post.

Caught up some on this thread yesterday and some today. I must say, I'd probably have a hard time chasing down all the threads you post in mayan, so having this thread is good for keeping up with your current progress.

I see your taking on some more challenges so definitely want to see how things turn out. Especially with the venture into EDF territory. Also glad to see you and others sort of going into "profile plane" territory with the Easy Edge model. I kinda almost wished I had with an Edge profile plane originally...BUT I did a mashup of the FT3D and another plane I had plans for. I love the profile plane concept b/c the builds are simpler and you can put them through the abuse before you tackle the real thing. So it's like a quick build teaching tool.

Also hope you get the issues worked out with the DGA-6. I would probably just start adding more downthrust and see how that does.

mayan

Legendary member
All right, I'm done lurking...time to post.

Caught up some on this thread yesterday and some today. I must say, I'd probably have a hard time chasing down all the threads you post in mayan, so having this thread is good for keeping up with your current progress.

I see your taking on some more challenges so definitely want to see how things turn out. Especially with the venture into EDF territory. Also glad to see you and others sort of going into "profile plane" territory with the Easy Edge model. I kinda almost wished I had with an Edge profile plane originally...BUT I did a mashup of the FT3D and another plane I had plans for. I love the profile plane concept b/c the builds are simpler and you can put them through the abuse before you tackle the real thing. So it's like a quick build teaching tool.

Also hope you get the issues worked out with the DGA-6. I would probably just start adding more downthrust and see how that does.
Thanks for the feedback buddy kinda thought of stopping this thread until you just wrote that :). I too fell in love with the profile plane concept although I prefer the real thing, for the exact same reasons you mentioned; easy to build and easily abused. I am super nervous about the X-29 and the EDF venture, I feel like I am not ready for it yet but hey if @CarolineTyler didn't I can't just quit I have to at least give it a try. BTW forgot to mention that I plan on using a 6S battery built from 2x3S 2200mah batteries, so this baby should be fast as well; NERVOUS :/!

The DGA-6 is something I have to wrap up otherwise it will get put aside. I need to rebuild nail down the issues and fix it all up. I just feel like I need some flying time atm instead of always testing time. Flying a plane that doesn't fly well is not hard it's just tring, which is why I let it sit some.

Piotrsko

Master member

Nah, thick LE just means more drag, fly slower and more gentle stalls.

Last I saw, there was about 5 degrees up elevator in the plans which is monster overkill. The popsicle sticks comfirmed that.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Thanks for the feedback buddy kinda thought of stopping this thread until you just wrote that :). I too fell in love with the profile plane concept although I prefer the real thing, for the exact same reasons you mentioned; easy to build and easily abused. I am super nervous about the X-29 and the EDF venture, I feel like I am not ready for it yet but hey if @CarolineTyler didn't I can't just quit I have to at least give it a try. BTW forgot to mention that I plan on using a 6S battery built from 2x3S 2200mah batteries, so this baby should be fast as well; NERVOUS :/!

The DGA-6 is something I have to wrap up otherwise it will get put aside. I need to rebuild nail down the issues and fix it all up. I just feel like I need some flying time atm instead of always testing time. Flying a plane that doesn't fly well is not hard it's just tring, which is why I let it sit some.
@mayan , it's not a competition, I'm lucky that I have some super experienced pilots at the club to help me with my flying. If you want to practice your flying more first then do that. I think you will be fine flying the x-29 model ....just tone down the throws for roll, the model is super responsive in that axis.

mayan

Legendary member
Last I saw, there was about 5 degrees up elevator in the plans which is monster overkill. The popsicle sticks comfirmed that.
Can you explain?

@mayan , it's not a competition, I'm lucky that I have some super experienced pilots at the club to help me with my flying. If you want to practice your flying more first then do that. I think you will be fine flying the x-29 model ....just tone down the throws for roll, the model is super responsive in that axis.
It's not a competition dear it's a challenge you mastered it and I want to too ;).

Wildthing

Legendary member
Can you explain?

It's not a competition dear it's a challenge you mastered it and I want to too ;).

You take on way to many challenges, you will burn yourself out and you won't enjoy building or flying. Some days I can have 2 or 3 planes ready for maiden but I will just take out some of my proven nice flyers and have a relaxing day flying with no testing involved.

Piotrsko

Master member
Can you explain?

On the plans page, 0 degrees up elevator would be parallel to the top of the wing mount. The rear of the elevator is pointed up noticeably, OR the front is pointed down depending on your view point. Net effect is lots of up elevator in flight, or a REALLY positive incidence. Now this may be an anomaly of my 8" display on this tablet. I will attempt to print that portion and reply.

Ok went and looked at it. The bottom of the elevator should be a line going to somewhere touching the skewers for the wing. It's actually is below the skewers significantly. Way too much. Now the question is: did you build it that way?

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
On the plans page, 0 degrees up elevator would be parallel to the top of the wing mount. The rear of the elevator is pointed up noticeably, OR the front is pointed down depending on your view point. Net effect is lots of up elevator in flight, or a REALLY positive incidence. Now this may be an anomaly of my 8" display on this tablet. I will attempt to print that portion and reply.

Ok went and looked at it. The bottom of the elevator should be a line going to somewhere touching the skewers for the wing. It's actually is below the skewers significantly. Way too much. Now the question is: did you build it that way?

I missed that picture

Piotrsko

Master member
For those who missed it:
20191113_083509.jpg
dotted line more or less 0 degrees, solid line up elevator.

basslord1124

Master member

Well definitely best of luck with X-29. Do you have any sort of RC simulator you can practice on? Granted it's not the real thing, but perhaps some sim time with a plane similar to its design would help you before do the real thing. My words to you would be:

1) Go get em!
2) ...but...take your time with it. :)

Only done 6S one time and it was on a trainer balsa model. It was pretty fast...but probably not as fast as what yours will be.

And yeah, let the DGA-6 sit for a little bit while you "fly out" your frustrations. :)

mayan

Legendary member
You take on way to many challenges, you will burn yourself out and you won't enjoy building or flying. Some days I can have 2 or 3 planes ready for maiden but I will just take out some of my proven nice flyers and have a relaxing day flying with no testing involved.
That's exactly what I am doing now, taking a flying break, with proven models :).

For those who missed it: View attachment 147959 dotted line more or less 0 degrees, solid line up elevator.
That's how it appears on the original plans, so I copied them :/.

That is quite the angle, now is the motor pod thrust line square with either of these?

I think there lies your problem @mayan .
The motor pod is exactly in the middle of the fuselage. How can I know if it's also in line with any of them?

Well definitely best of luck with X-29. Do you have any sort of RC simulator you can practice on? Granted it's not the real thing, but perhaps some sim time with a plane similar to its design would help you before do the real thing. My words to you would be:

1) Go get em!
2) ...but...take your time with it. :)

Only done 6S one time and it was on a trainer balsa model. It was pretty fast...but probably not as fast as what yours will be.

And yeah, let the DGA-6 sit for a little bit while you "fly out" your frustrations. :)
Don't have any sim to practice on, I jump right into the fire :).

I am doing exactly that flying out my fustrations :).

Wildthing

Legendary member
I guess because the wing is removable that would be the easiest way to correct the angle. No sense cutting out the elevator if you don't have to. Make the main wing level to the elevator and worry about the motor last, it can be shimmed.

Piotrsko

Master member
On a Howard, the motor will never line up with anything, it is a big honking shaky Jacobs radial swinging a 8 foot Hamilton standard constant speed.

You probably have enough downthrust right now.

You need a layer of foam board under the back bottom edge of the wing instead of popsicle sticks for at least 2 degrees of what you call negative incidence to cancel out most of that up elevator. ideally when the bottom of the wing is plumb, the elevator should be almost plumb, too.
Unfortunately, that fix will also make this fly pretty fast, but it WAS a racer back in the day.

You go do what you need to do, but we got your back when you return.