The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

mayan

Legendary member
On a Howard, the motor will never line up with anything, it is a big honking shaky Jacobs radial swinging a 8 foot Hamilton standard constant speed.

You probably have enough downthrust right now.

You need a layer of foam board under the back bottom edge of the wing instead of popsicle sticks for at least 2 degrees of what you call negative incidence to cancel out most of that up elevator. ideally when the bottom of the wing is plumb, the elevator should be almost plumb, too.
Unfortunately, that fix will also make this fly pretty fast, but it WAS a racer back in the day.

You go do what you need to do, but we got your back when you return.
I appreciate that very much and promise that soon after the weekend I’ll get back to making this fly like it used to back in the day :).

mayan

Legendary member
So tomorrow I am going to hit the field. Going to fly a few repaired models like the Easy Edge and KFM Wing hoping they’ll fly well. And also going to maiden my new TT with the streamer drop mechanism that I built that will be used as a trainer for my son again. More tomorrow...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So tomorrow I am going to hit the field. Going to fly a few repaired models like the Easy Edge and KFM Wing hoping they’ll fly well. And also going to maiden my new TT with the streamer drop mechanism that I built that will be used as a trainer for my son again. More tomorrow...
Alright! Back in the air for some fun! Enjoy the heck out of it, mayan! If you want to let off a little steam, join in on Hangar's Fly Hard Challenge. Just make sure it's a plane that's easily repaired or replaced. ;)

mayan

Legendary member
Alright! Back in the air for some fun! Enjoy the heck out of it, mayan! If you want to let off a little steam, join in on Hangar's Fly Hard Challenge. Just make sure it's a plane that's easily repaired or replaced. ;)
I already said I'd join him in the fun just need someone to film me so I can get the best video possible, just in case something epic happens :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:.

mayan

Legendary member
Alright so I didn't take the TT to the field my son asked me not too, he wanted to maiden it himself. I explained to him that I want to trim it and make sure it fly's straight before I handed him the remote and why it was important that I do so, I hope he will undertand that when we take it out for the first maiden. I did fly two batteries on the Easy Edge though and had a blast doing so. Despite my not so nice crash/landings the airframe held up pretty good and no damage was done apart from the side froce generators falling off one side at some point; no worries though it flies great even without them. To sum up the Edge came home in one piece minus the side force generators, the KFM Wing though is a totally different story.

The KFM Wing didn't fly at all, like last time that I took it to the field it kept flipping inverted and crashing. I either forgot how to launch it or all my repairs took the part. After my first crash the motor started playing games with me, kind like its starter is stuck. I tried figuring it out at the field with no success. So I wrapped it up and called it a day, figuring its best I check the motor at home after work or tomorrow; maybe post a video of it for you all to see and give me ideas.

Any how I am at work, bored as hell, and was looking for something to do. So what will it be?! Let it be a Arrowhead build! It should be quick and easy :). @Vimana89 here we go, this is my shot at flying a delta.

Piotrsko

Master member
I noticed on my 1.6x tablesaw KFM that the large bottom skin( layer?) Tends to warp downwards. Upside is my plane flies upside down on its own, downside is dives turn into huge outside loops which from 4 mistakes high is a HMMM its inverted again, lower just does a nose plant.

mayan

Legendary member
I noticed on my 1.6x tablesaw KFM that the large bottom skin( layer?) Tends to warp downwards. Upside is my plane flies upside down on its own, downside is dives turn into huge outside loops which from 4 mistakes high is a HMMM its inverted again, lower just does a nose plant.
I think I better build a new one. I’ve been waiting on props for ever to fly it and now that they arrived it flys like a pile of #*%^! Need a new one!

mayan

Legendary member
Happy to present to you @Vimana89 ‘s Arrowhead.

79679F0C-3AB7-4685-9FE8-6E83EF6097BB.jpeg

Still missing electronics but she will fly on Saturday :).

Piotrsko

Master member
Except for that ugly servo hole, really nice looking plane, WHOMEVER designed it.

Needless to say: mayan does the designer proud. Shame they don't make cool colored DTFB. Nothing that tape and spray paint wont fix. 'Course you'll never see it from Bakersfield.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Except for that ugly servo hole, really nice looking plane, WHOMEVER designed it.

Needless to say: mayan does the designer proud. Shame they don't make cool colored DTFB. Nothing that tape and spray paint wont fix. 'Course you'll never see it from Bakersfield.
This one dollar store in Palmdale has a brand called basics that's $1.30 a sheet and has heavier duty paper than regular Adams. It's always white on one side and comes in many colors on the other. It's good for one sheet thick wings on a bird with light wingnloading to get a little extra strength, but I normally use it for small pieces like winglets and sometimes fuselages and use the lighter stuff for main wings a lot.

mayan

Legendary member
That’s it the Arrowhead is ready. I still need to do a few checks at home with the Tx but other than that this will get maidened tomorrow morning with my son.

0984CEB6-14A5-4854-AB69-CDF01F7C0C53.jpeg

I also got back to continue working on the X-29 and finished the wings. I am thinking of making removable wings so I can have access the ESC and motor. I am also thinking of extending the motor wires so that they too can be accessible just in case I need to touch them. What’s your thoughts?

2B8733D9-2F52-4A2E-A0AC-1E088CE6DC82.jpeg

Wildthing

Legendary member
Looks good mayan, for the esc could you not just cut in a small hatch for access ? As far as the motor goes if you have to work on it you are more then likely pulling out the whole edf.

mayan

Legendary member
Looks good mayan, for the esc could you not just cut in a small hatch for access ? As far as the motor goes if you have to work on it you are more then likely pulling out the whole edf.
Thanks. I didn’t think of a hatch for an option but I need to check it out. It would mean cutting through a whole lot of foam layers not sure it’s a good idea.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thanks. I didn’t think of a hatch for an option but I need to check it out. It would mean cutting through a whole lot of foam layers not sure it’s a good idea.
I wouldn't bother then, if it craps out or something then you could make a hatch. Just make sure you have the motor spinning in the right direction before you seal it up.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What’s your thoughts?
It's really cold outside. My legs seriously hurt. I'm so thankful for so much. Oh. You mean on your plane? :p I think your X29 is the most exciting project you've undertaken to date.

All your designing and building thus far, have been variations of a theme. Just like the rest of us. Using what we've learned with the FT build process and simple experience, and taking things just a step or two beyond. That's always cool. Stepping outside of our sandbox.

The X29 for you is a whole new animal. It's not just a step outside of the sandbox. It's a whole new playground. I'm really excited for your for that.

You know I've never flown an EDF. Being who I am, I still have an opinion on your questions, though. ;) From what I've seen, the EDF is almost always buried, braced and inaccessible under normal conditions. I think you should plan for that. I will always opt for a removable wing, if it is an option. There are just too many benefits to it, and very few drawbacks. In fact I've never come across a drawback with a removable wing.

Extending the motor wires seems like you're overthinking things a bit. The only benefit would be the ability to reverse the motor. Assuming you get that right at the outset, then extending the wires is only adding more connections and complication for no really good reason. That's seldom a good idea.

Just my thoughts. My heart is with you. Take your time and get it right for you. Remember how you were right there with me when I maidened my Spitfire, and got through the jitters, and actually flew it for the first time? We're right there with you. You can do this. Besides and don't forget - It IS only foamboard! :)