How drones are used in FT STEM

FlyingEngineer

Recently I did a research paper to understand how drones and other UAV’s (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) are used in STEM education. We have now been tasked to share what we’ve learned briefly through an online platform. Therefore I felt that the Flite Test community would be an excellent place to share what I have learned.

Speaking of FLite Test, I was surprised to find that not only is flight the leader when it comes to model aircraft and STEM education, but they also seem to be the only Organization with a structured Public curriculum. Flite test curriculum, which ranges from kindergarten through 12th grade, is structured in levels called “strands”. Each strand covers a different area of flight that gets more and more complex as you move through the strands as well as with each age group. With each age group, however, the students would be able to learn the same fundamental skills throughout all 4 Flite Test Curriculums. The students start by learning the safety guidelines as well as basic tools and building techniques. They will then learn how to build their first airplane and start to learn ho to fly on simulators. After their first airplane, they learn to fly it. In the final strand, students learn how to design their own RC airplanes and learn the basics of engineering.

If you want to know more about how FT STEM works, look up ftstem.com. Other places to look at how drones are being used in STEM look at articles at modelaircraft.org