Back to the basics and on to the next level-The next phase of my RC Experience(learning diary)

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm going to fly the '39 special today and start drawing up the plans. I want to do some build work or even a quick build. It will either be another of my FTFC20s or something new and random.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Strong winds so can't fly anything. After some debating, I decided to rebuild the Floating Kidney as 4ch with elevons and rudder. I got the wing almost exactly the aspect ratio as the original balsa plans, and I'm going to try for a nice B fold fuselage. The VS/rudder will be positioned just like the original now.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Making some progress with crazy multi wing experiments, 4ch, and polishing up FTFC20 stuff. Thanks a bunch FT for biting me with the bug, I've now got 7 planes that are currently operational, and I'm far from wanting to stop:LOL:. Need a good hangar/fleet pic soon.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Next goals: Bringing back/possibly further optimizing my slender delta. I love the gorgeous straight passes, knifey banks, and insane roll rate, even if I can't get the smaller/extra skinny variants to high alpha particularly well on an 1806 motor. Other than that, not sure when I'll be working too much or very seriously at a new custom design until next year. I need to continue finishing up my FTFC20 entries and polishing up the four wing plane, as well as challenge myself to practice some new things and work on my weaknesses as far as flying all of my planes. The Arrowhead is about as good as it will get in its current 3ch form. If I bring back my slender delta I'll have 8 planes by the end of the year, then I'm really going to want to slow down a bit and be more selective.

I'm not sure quite what my next custom design will be, or when I'll next buy another FT kit to build. The only things really left in FT's current line up that interest me enough to give them space in my limited-storage-space fleet are one of their basic warbirds, either the Spitfire or Mig 3, and the X-29. The Viggen's nice, but I build a lot of my own delta designs already. As far as flying I'm going to practice more inverted on the Arrowhead, continue getting used to the 4ch Floating Kidney and flying with rudder on the left stick, and spend more time trimming in and optimizing my planes so they fly as good as they can with as little inputs possible. Going to be taking a crack at hand drawn plans here no matter what, but may check out some basic programs and at least give them a try.

I may spend some time in the near future sprucing up my YouTube videos a bit with some music here and there, more text and informational elements, better commentary, and better looks at the build and design elements of my planes as well as the flying. I'll be writing more articles and possibly reviewing products here and there, not RTF planes or quads, but stuff we all use like props and batteries and tools, and products like Dollar Store Velcro, RC hobby servo tape, etc. Some other things to do with the hobby is finally set up the FPV and everything on my FPV quad and get some more multi-rotor skills under my belt, and possibly giving my local club a shot next year. Their site says they have a section of the field where foamies are flown, so they are foam friendly, or else I wouldn't even bother. I'm also a flexible enough pilot to where they could hand me the sticks to something, foam or otherwise, and I'd probably be alright with it if not pretty good.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Raining on and off, so may or may not have time to fly. I'm doing some minor repairs and maintenance on my fleet to get the planes nice for pictures and preparing to draw up the '39 plans. I fixed the motor mount and reinforced a weak spot on the Floating Kidney, but its back for more 4ch experimentation. I want to test a couple more types of props on the four wing plane when I get the chance, and also I may get a chance today to restock on foam and blades and tape.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I need to learn how to print out plans with proper sized tiling XD, there's a modded FT design I thought of that would be beast. For now, let's call it...the "T.T.T.". And no, it's not a tri-plane(though that would be nice too).

Vimana89

Legendary member
Kind of hunkered down in testing my four wing plane and finishing up my FTFC20 projects, but where I can go next is a number of different directions. There's still a lot I can improve on getting into 4ch, and with general stuff like maximizing the utility my equipment further, trimming in my planes better, trying more inverted and maneuvers I have yet to try, as well as new builds. I feel though that the slender delta needs another iteration soon, perhaps all the way to 4ch. I've had it on my mind for a while to do the next stage of this and get it back in my fleet, and a newby's interest in a post got me stoked again. I hope he posts back on his thread to get an idea where he's at.He'll be better off with a trainer for now, but I'll be damned if I let somebody throw away their custom design ambitions and their creativity, so I want to brush up on my slender delta Kung Fu to guide the new Padawan in his pursuits of slender delta Jedi skills(which I have yet to completely master myself).

Piotrsko

Master member
AHHH, But the trick question: where does the CG go? My initial guess is around the trailing edge of the forward wing. How are you going to control it? Bracesport has this pivot wing idea going on, but alas, I think it will not work. Definitely will eat servo gears.

Vimana89

Legendary member
So, with the new year about to start, I have a 50mm EDF setup with 4s 1000 mAh battery and 40A esc on the way(except the ESC, had it laying around). I have another power pack with 2205 Radial as well and small parts.

Vimana89

Legendary member
The winglets and X tail made a big difference in my four wing plane. It lost a tiny bit of roll maneuverability but gained a ton better stability and tracking. If trimmed right and set at the right throttle, it could do long straight shots completely hands off in level flight. That is a huge difference from having to be entirely hands on. High alpha is still the same, which is to say totally beastin'. When I rebuild, I will need to alter the nose and tail a bit still, though perhaps a bit less than originally thought. This will even out the pitch stability a bit as well.

The slender delta is flying great considering it has those wood spars on an 1806 motor. I've even gotten some high alpha out of it without wing rock here and there, which is quite outstanding. I could make this one on the same scale and motor next time but cut the weight a bit in construction. With building slowing down for a little, I really need to stop procrastination on my '39 plans for FTFC20. If I can't do all three of the planes I made, it will at least be that one, because it has a broad appeal while still being somewhat unique, and because it is probably the easiest of the three to do plans for by hand, let alone a program.

So...what everyone who's looked at this recently is probably wondering...what do I intend to build with my first EDF? I've given it some thought, and obviously it will be a delta. My multi wings won't benefit from a ducted fan. Other jet types are unfamiliar territory, and I want a familiar first EDF. I first thought I'd want a 4ch, but I figure it's just be easier to train easy prop planes on 4ch for a while and prototype my first EDF jet in simple 3ch. Rudders can always be added later. Lots of delta options including very basic stuff, semi scale like the Vulcan, ETC., but I thought I'd modify one of my own designs.

The two I considered are the Arrowhead and slender delta. The arrowhead in its current size would be pretty overpowered and maybe a tiny bit hefty with a 50mm EDF on 4s putting out 850g of thrust, but would probably be fun. The slender delta would have to be scaled up, and that either means making it less slender than 2 to 1 chord/length:rolleyes:, or using multiple sheets and making a compound wing. I didn't like how my last two big slender deltas came out with that type of wing, it would take some work and development to make a better one(which will happen at some point, but I want a simpler first EDF). That got me thinking of a compromise, something a bit bigger but one sheet.

I'm mentally working up sort of a hybrid tailed delta that is just and extended Arrowhead. With a single sheet of foam, I can make a low aspect/slender( but not ultra slender) wing that is 20 by 30" rather that the current 20 by 20 that the Arrowhead has or the 15 by 30 on my little slender delta. I can make an extra long bottom fuselage that sort of telescopes a skinnier box at the back into a wider box at the front. That extra wing area will be nice, and the tail plane should curb some of the more sluggish turning and pitch tendencies of elongated deltas. I'll draw up a quick sketch when I get a chance.

Vimana89

Legendary member
So, progress update after originally making this thread: I moved out of the "RET rut" and mastered all the other basic forms of 3ch; ailerons, elevons, V tail elevons, and even toyed with a bit of 4ch. I've broadened the variety of planes I fly from just low aspect saucers and deltas into multiple different delta styles(tailed, wider, slender), plus discovered my love for multi wing with the DR1 and four wing plane. I've also tried the Charlie with its FSW/compound wing, the sporty and classic '39 Special, and went full circle back into my early design ambitions and made a really basic tandem wing plane that flies great.

I have done a bit of work with B folds and gotten better at the techniques I was already using like A folds. I still don't have much of any practical experience with air foils on custom designs. I'm definitely more resourceful and better at managing and maintaining my equipment and planes, although there's still more to learn, including some pretty standard stuff in this area. I still need to work a bit on maximizing the potential of the planes I can already build, such as trimming better and building more precise.
As far as flying, I'm way better, and can do all the standard fare of aerobatics and lots of high alpha.

Things to work on from here is better landings, more precise patterns, and the next level of aerobatics like inverted. Things like knife edges and 3d maneuvers will open up more with some 4ch builds and experience. My first EDF attempt was a flop due to weight concerns. I'll be revising this and looking at different options all together than a lower aspect tailed delta. I will also be seriously considering some twin engine planes for the relatively near future(nothing like the Dash 8 Q400 and its tiny wing chord).

The biggest milestone so far has to be the Arrowhead. I have never built a plane that was so unique, versatile, capable, and had so much interest from others to build and fly it. Other than that, the four wing plane is very notable and turned out surprisingly awesome. The whole DR1 experience and getting into multi wing planes helped broaden my game a lot. I've also seen things explode as far as member submitted custom designs and creativity from the community here since I've joined. That is the natural way the hobby was picking up momentum in from the whole FT foam era boom anyway, but It's nice to think my own success with my crazy yet simple designs played some part in encouraging people to get creative.

There will probably be a bit of a lull for the rest of the month in my designing and building ambitions and more attention on finishing up FTFC20 designs and maintaining/improving my existing design concepts and fleet. I want to take another crack at an EDF build after that though, as well as some more 4ch builds and another FT kit such as the Vector and/or a war bird. Thanks for the support and friendship so far, I will update with some more progress and random things I learn.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm pretty bummed out for reasons I don't want to fully go into at the moment. A bit is hobby related, others is life stuff. I'll be finishing up and trying to submit the '39 plans over the next couple days, and I may build a somewhat basic scratch build with an F pack setup. This is going to be a dedicated build for me to learn 4ch. I may do some type of delta, but I think what might be a stronger possibility is a really nice tandem plane.

The plans are the main priority, and any scratch building will be when I'm actually inspired to do so, I'm definitely not going to force it just to build something. Other than that, not much going on at the moment. I will take some time to slow down and fully get up to speed on everyone else's projects and latest RC ventures, and maybe finally spend some time on writing an article or two(the problem there isn't too few ideas, but too many).

In the near future, I'll be tackling another FT kit, and upgraded version of my four wing plane as well as at least one other multi-wing related project, and more 4ch stuff such as some type of 4ch delta. As the year progresses, I'll take another try at an EDF project and perhaps a twin engine project on A pack motors.