What did you crash today

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That is epic! Rats... loved that paint job too. Just like my old slow stick.
Got to the field Saturday and a buddy told me I just missed a 100mph flight with his wing since he went up to bigger batter. About a minutes into his next flight he just didn't have the control surface to come out of a looping turn towards the ground and took a dirt nap! Broke my heart cause I felt like he was showing off for me. And he wanted to borrow my cheapo FPV camera I just got lol.
100mph on a wing, what wing was it?Not FT I imagine

CheckMySix

100mph on a wing, what wing was it?Not FT I imagine
Well, I believe he was exaggerating a tad lol. Think it was just a scratch build wing he did. Its foamboard but not the FT wing. Wss pretty fast before he switch to bigger battery. What he needed was bigger control surfaces lol. Shame too, good guy. Had lime 80+ flights on it. Good lesson though. When you make a change, don't push it too hard at first huh. 😋😁

Attachments

• 20191207_111411.jpg
    20191207_111411.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well, I believe he was exaggerating a tad lol. Think it was just a scratch build wing he did. Its foamboard but not the FT wing. Wss pretty fast before he switch to bigger battery. What he needed was bigger control surfaces lol. Shame too, good guy. Had lime 80+ flights on it. Good lesson though. When you make a change, don't push it too hard at first huh. 😋😁
That's a loaded version of the FT Arrow. Funny the first Arrow I had looked like that right after the maiden. Would have been a decent plane if I knew how to fly it at the time

moret

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Horizon claims their F-22 Evolution will do 105 mph on 4S.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...s/bind-n-fly/f-27-evolution-bnf-basic-efl5650
I keep looking to see if it will show up on their 12 days of Christmas sale. I would get it instead of repairing my versa wing firewall. Wife says if my versa wing keeps needing repair maybe I don't need a 105 mph plane!
My woman had a 3 month period where she kept saying I should switch to boats :ROFLMAO: It's a good thing that I am blindly stubborn lol

CheckMySix

That's a loaded version of the FT Arrow. Funny the first Arrow I had looked like that right after the maiden. Would have been a decent plane if I knew how to fly it at the time
Cool, yea wings can be unforgiving as I understand. Not my thing as I love gear and takeoffs and landings. 😁

CheckMySix

I hate it when the breeze dies on full flap final when you're playing the game with your buddies....let see who can get closest to the parking block landing game...and you lose and knock your firewall off.
I do however like that I didn't break a prop and I love how resilient FT motors are. But, I also hate when I forget to bring the hot glue gun to the field.
It was an afternoon of mixed emotions to say the least. I still contend that I got closest because no one said...without hitting it! No one else was man enough to get less than a foot away from it except for one dude that did a touch and go about 6 feet short....lol.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye..,then...its just fun😉 (I think that's a pun emoji!)
FCRR!

Attachments

• 20191213_154344.jpg
    20191213_154344.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I hate it when the breeze dies on full flap final when you're playing the game with your buddies....let see who can get closest to the parking block landing game...and you lose and knock your firewall off.
I do however like that I didn't break a prop and I love how resilient FT motors are. But, I also hate when I forget to bring the hot glue gun to the field.
It was an afternoon of mixed emotions to say the least. I still contend that I got closest because no one said...without hitting it! No one else was man enough to get less than a foot away from it except for one dude that did a touch and go about 6 feet short....lol.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye..,then...its just fun😉 (I think that's a pun emoji!)
FCRR!
Invest in a 3-4 $ roll of super packing tape, the stuff with fibers running both ways. Put a 4-5 inch piece over the wood mount going back you will have a lot fewer separations like this and it will cost you something like a gram or two.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea the glue on the firewall doesn't do much more then hold it on to tape it really, in the field just tape it and you are good to go again, maybe build a couple extra pods to easily swap the motor from to get up and running a little quicker, I have recently come to the decision to do the same. I might build 3 or 4 to rotate just for that firewall reason.

CheckMySix

Well... I did the maiden flight and and summarily tail spun my buddies Storch! He's still learning to fly and stubborn as hell. Won't let us buddy box be "I don't learn that way"... as he says. Meanwhile, he's just been crashing and repairing his forth plane now. Unfortunately, one was my old slow strick.
He spent hours building this Storch and I told him, at least let me maiden it so we can make sure its setup right. After setting DR/Expos and adding lots of travel to the elevator (first test flight just didn't wanna get off the ground) I got her in the air. Man was she sluggish. Was in a left turn which was hard enough. Felt like there just wasn't enough control surface for ailerons. Or, not enough prop wash going the since they are miles away from the fuselage. Was really struggling to get her to come back. Was trying to get altitude and the elevator got really erratic. All of a sudden, the about 6-7knt wind caught the high right wing and I was in an uncontrolled tail spin. Killed the throttle and tried to neutralize the spin but just ran outta space. Bloody covered parking with solar panels. Might have had to recover in that extra 12'. Eh....who am I kidding😛
Not excusing pilot error here but...that elevator man! Its so huge and he didn't spar it at all. I could push down on the servo side with no movement but on the opposite side it would deflect big time. I suspect that may have been a factor since I was on the elevator pretty hard trying to compensate for it being/feeling so wonky.
Had I built it, I would have made the ailerons inches wider. For the size of that huge wing it seems really small. Felt small too.
I did find out after that he didn't set the low and high rates for the ailerons. Guess I figured he did since he had DRs set. A little too high for a maiden but set. My bad, should have asked.

So, anyone out there have a Storch? Any tips or lessons learned? I'm all ears. I feel bad but like he said, probably better than he would have done. Damage wasn't to bad. Nothing that some hot glue can't fix. I did much worse with my simple cub learning to fly again. Two nose ins and she flew again...lol. motor and electronics are good so....he'll benefit with more build experience. 😋😁
Now, I'm trying to convince him to get a Timber with AS3X. It's such a solid trainer platform. He's been spending so much money being stubborn and I don't want him to give up. Even offered to buy Timber...if he doesn't destroy it, after a couple months for half price. Even told him he could keep the reciever since I really want a Timber just not with AS3X.
other than that... this was technically a crash landing. Tested my new Pinocchio Inflight adjustable CG system in the cub. Aka... forgot to put the bloody skewers in the power pod. Excited to test a new cheap 200mw FPV camera and forgot...lol. Hard landing but no damage.😁

mach1 rc

Master member
Well... I did the maiden flight and and summarily tail spun my buddies Storch! He's still learning to fly and stubborn as hell. Won't let us buddy box be "I don't learn that way"... as he says. Meanwhile, he's just been crashing and repairing his forth plane now. Unfortunately, one was my old slow strick.
He spent hours building this Storch and I told him, at least let me maiden it so we can make sure its setup right. After setting DR/Expos and adding lots of travel to the elevator (first test flight just didn't wanna get off the ground) I got her in the air. Man was she sluggish. Was in a left turn which was hard enough. Felt like there just wasn't enough control surface for ailerons. Or, not enough prop wash going the since they are miles away from the fuselage. Was really struggling to get her to come back. Was trying to get altitude and the elevator got really erratic. All of a sudden, the about 6-7knt wind caught the high right wing and I was in an uncontrolled tail spin. Killed the throttle and tried to neutralize the spin but just ran outta space. Bloody covered parking with solar panels. Might have had to recover in that extra 12'. Eh....who am I kidding😛
Not excusing pilot error here but...that elevator man! Its so huge and he didn't spar it at all. I could push down on the servo side with no movement but on the opposite side it would deflect big time. I suspect that may have been a factor since I was on the elevator pretty hard trying to compensate for it being/feeling so wonky.
Had I built it, I would have made the ailerons inches wider. For the size of that huge wing it seems really small. Felt small too.
I did find out after that he didn't set the low and high rates for the ailerons. Guess I figured he did since he had DRs set. A little too high for a maiden but set. My bad, should have asked.

So, anyone out there have a Storch? Any tips or lessons learned? I'm all ears. I feel bad but like he said, probably better than he would have done. Damage wasn't to bad. Nothing that some hot glue can't fix. I did much worse with my simple cub learning to fly again. Two nose ins and she flew again...lol. motor and electronics are good so....he'll benefit with more build experience. 😋😁
Now, I'm trying to convince him to get a Timber with AS3X. It's such a solid trainer platform. He's been spending so much money being stubborn and I don't want him to give up. Even offered to buy Timber...if he doesn't destroy it, after a couple months for half price. Even told him he could keep the reciever since I really want a Timber just not with AS3X.
other than that... this was technically a crash landing. Tested my new Pinocchio Inflight adjustable CG system in the cub. Aka... forgot to put the bloody skewers in the power pod. Excited to test a new cheap 200mw FPV camera and forgot...lol. Hard landing but no damage.😁

Instead of the timber he should get the valiant. It is a awesome plane with long thin wings making it glide foreverhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3BBPh07OJI

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

The Storch is a huge wing plane that creates a ton of lift but has a compromise on the other side being pretty susceptible to wind on the roll axis. Those under cambered wing tips catch the wind like a baseball glove and toss the plane around if you aren't careful to keep the wing tip low on the upwind side. I had the same issue with the Bushwhacker so i trimmed 3" off each wing tip and it did much better with the wind and was more responsive on the roll axis. as far as the ailerons on the wing goes being they are full length there should be plenty of authority there for a trainer plane, but if the trainee didn't set dual rates right it can be a bear. Slower flight needs more throws i would say, still a fun plane though, a little big, but fun nonetheless.

CheckMySix

The Storch is a huge wing plane that creates a ton of lift but has a compromise on the other side being pretty susceptible to wind on the roll axis. Those under cambered wing tips catch the wind like a baseball glove and toss the plane around if you aren't careful to keep the wing tip low on the upwind side. I had the same issue with the Bushwhacker so i trimmed 3" off each wing tip and it did much better with the wind and was more responsive on the roll axis. as far as the ailerons on the wing goes being they are full length there should be plenty of authority there for a trainer plane, but if the trainee didn't set dual rates right it can be a bear. Slower flight needs more throws i would say, still a fun plane though, a little big, but fun nonetheless.
Yea so, he didn't cut the entire length of the ailerons as I suspect they should be. It's like a 3rd of the wing length. Its just the extended part you see here in the photo. Is that correct? I was wing high with full crosswind but...still, can square the tailspin.

Attachments

• IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Its just the extended part you see here in the photo. Is that correct?
Just the extended part would be right if you were doing split flaps. Still works you are just going to need more throw, this can be done either mechanically or in the Tx programming.

Setting up dual rates is a good idea as well, using low rates for take off and landings and high rates for flying around. The plane will have a lot of trouble getting off the ground if the throws are to aggressive and the pilot will have trouble leveling out and lining up if throws are aggressive as well. But in the air the aggressive throws will be useful to correct wind gusts or pilot error like stalls or nose dives lol.

Expo could help out a new pilot such as your friend, could range anywhere from 30-45% to soften over-correction that a new pilots panics into. I would forget my name once I finally got my first plane to fly, over correction was the issue, just stick banging like it owed me money. I can show you some video and you will laugh :LOL:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Yea so, he didn't cut the entire length of the ailerons as I suspect they should be. It's like a 3rd of the wing length. Its just the extended part you see here in the photo. Is that correct? I was wing high with full crosswind but...still, can square the tailspin.
That's correct for the ailerons. They've got plenty of authority in my experience. She'll still drop like a brick in a hard turn, though. You've got to add some rudder in there. Here's my build with some flight video:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/building-the-storch.60015/

The biggest issue I had was too much elevator authority. It took a couple flights to tone that back, so I could fly level.

CheckMySix

That's correct for the ailerons. They've got plenty of authority in my experience. She'll still drop like a brick in a hard turn, though. You've got to add some rudder in there. Here's my build with some flight video:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/building-the-storch.60015/

The biggest issue I had was too much elevator authority. It took a couple flights to tone that back, so I could fly level.
Cool man. Good to know. Yea, totally agree on the elevator. That's what pretty much started to get things wonky. Especially having hours now with the simple cub and having her dialed in.

CheckMySix

Just the extended part would be right if you were doing split flaps. Still works you are just going to need more throw, this can be done either mechanically or in the Tx programming.

Setting up dual rates is a good idea as well, using low rates for take off and landings and high rates for flying around. The plane will have a lot of trouble getting off the ground if the throws are to aggressive and the pilot will have trouble leveling out and lining up if throws are aggressive as well. But in the air the aggressive throws will be useful to correct wind gusts or pilot error like stalls or nose dives lol.

Expo could help out a new pilot such as your friend, could range anywhere from 30-45% to soften over-correction that a new pilots panics into. I would forget my name once I finally got my first plane to fly, over correction was the issue, just stick banging like it owed me money. I can show you some video and you will laugh :LOL:
Yea, I had DRs on the ailerons cranked down to like 30/40 I think. Didn't want it to be too squirrely at first and then when I got in trouble I just didn't have the time to think to switch them to the 60 I think I had in there. Tail spin caught me off guard since the cubbie just never wants to tail spin. That bloody elevator in the storch was just rough man. Would have been nice if the wind was outta the east. Had to take off in this huge parking lot and couldn't go right and overhead of all the guys lined up on the strip. East takeoff would just give me time and options.

Guys out at the field yesterday. Only had one flight today before the 15-20kts gusts starting kicking up and wind kept changing direction. Did have a nice near verticle half flap landing but apparently I'm a grown up now with wisdom and decided to pack it up to live to fly another day. Off work until after the Holidays and will be out there just about every day.

Attachments

• 20191214_133001.jpg
    20191214_133001.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea, I had DRs on the ailerons cranked down to like 30/40 I think. Didn't want it to be too squirrely at first and then when I got in trouble I just didn't have the time to think to switch them to the 60 I think I had in there. Tail spin caught me off guard since the cubbie just never wants to tail spin. That bloody elevator in the storch was just rough man. Would have been nice if the wind was outta the east. Had to take off in this huge parking lot and couldn't go right and overhead of all the guys lined up on the strip. East takeoff would just give me time and options.

Guys out at the field yesterday. Only had one flight today before the 15-20kts gusts starting kicking up and wind kept changing direction. Did have a nice near verticle half flap landing but apparently I'm a grown up now with wisdom and decided to pack it up to live to fly another day. Off work until after the Holidays and will be out there just about every day.
Looks like there is a few other people that play with FT at the club huh?!

CheckMySix

Looks like there is a few other people that play with FT at the club huh?!
Just my buddy with the Storch who is learning and the cub is mine. another guy not there with a wing and he's building the cub. Gonna be hard converting the old timers. Set in their ways. Few heli guys out there too. Man, then they fly I stop and watch cause those things and take your head off!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just my buddy with the Storch who is learning and the cub is mine. another guy not there with a wing and he's building the cub. Gonna be hard converting the old timers. Set in their ways. Few heli guys out there too. Man, then they fly I stop and watch cause those things and take your head off!
I find it funny when you hear the stories of the old timers first see an FT plane fly and walk up and ask where you bought it :LOL: