The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

basslord1124

Master member
Did some more catching up here. Glad to hear things are better with your wife @mayan . I agree with others in that family should come first before planes...BUT I agree with ya too on hospitals and ERs. My mother (who was a nurse up until the time she retired) was one of those type who wouldn't take you to the hospital unless you were dying or something serious....I have sort of adopted that mentality as well. My wife, on the other hand, would go to the hospital for just about anything it seems. It's just how we are raised I guess. I know many times I've uttered the words "You're fine" or "It's probably nothing"...sometimes I was right, and there were times I was wrong as well. Well...that's a whole story unto itself. And then my daughter was born 3 months early...so we were at the hospital almost every day for her (she was in there for 95 days).

Had no idea you also had a Goblin...that's cool! How do you like it? Is it a good camera platform plane?

mayan

Legendary member
Did some more catching up here. Glad to hear things are better with your wife @mayan . I agree with others in that family should come first before planes...BUT I agree with ya too on hospitals and ERs. My mother (who was a nurse up until the time she retired) was one of those type who wouldn't take you to the hospital unless you were dying or something serious....I have sort of adopted that mentality as well. My wife, on the other hand, would go to the hospital for just about anything it seems. It's just how we are raised I guess. I know many times I've uttered the words "You're fine" or "It's probably nothing"...sometimes I was right, and there were times I was wrong as well. Well...that's a whole story unto itself. And then my daughter was born 3 months early...so we were at the hospital almost every day for her (she was in there for 95 days).

Had no idea you also had a Goblin...that's cool! How do you like it? Is it a good camera platform plane?
I hear you about your daugther having one that visited the hospital a whole lot right after she was born. She lost her breath and turned blue a week after birthday, spent two weeks in the hospital and weren't allowed to leave untill we were trained to do CPR in infants :(.

I do it's a good stable airframe. I think it would be prefect for FPV, although as a first plane similar to it I would recommend the Sparrow. It feels to me at least similar in flight charcteristics as well as ability to take FPV, but it's more stable and has more lift because of the wings that it has being top mounted and not down mounted + their airfoil makes for more lift.

mayan

Legendary member
Alright so periodic update here across all threads, just sort of a sum up of important stuff :).
Recently successfully flew my Simple Soarer after a few repairs that it had and it flew great, even got some amazing on board air footage from it. My issue with it was balance issues across all axis after I figured and solved out those issues she flew great :).
Ok so it took some time, but the 2nd time repaired Simple Soarer flew again and this time it did good. It gave me back some love back, and some great onboard air footage :), enjoy!

P.S. - I want to see other people flying their simple soarers too. @Arcfyre where are you at?

I also put the on board camera on my son's TT trying to get footage of a parachute drop from the air but that didn't work out because most wasn't in frame so I just made an awesome video of some high speed low passes :), enjoy.

I also finished building a Mini Mustang as part of this group build: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-big-bang-of-mustangs.61204 and trashed it out of frustration because things didn't work like I wanted, so right after this post I am going to start working on that again :).
I had Mini Mustang but it just didn’t work out like I wanted. From the start it seemed smaller than I though it should be. I had it happen once when the plans just printed smaller and it did it again. Things just didn’t line up good and I felt crap about the whole build with things that broke and got repaired during the build. I hate doing this but had to, had to let out some frustration. So I just trashed the damn thing and will have to build a new one, after all its just foam board.

View attachment 150794

Last but not least I need your help! I want to fly as part of this event: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...20-world-wide-january-1st-invitational.60928/ but will be in Rome, Italy on vacation with the family. Now before you all start trashing me about family is more important (it is I know) but for me this would be a prefect birthday gift considering my birthday is on the 10/01. Any how I opened a thread about it case anyone lives in or around Rome, Italy here is the thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/anyone-live-in-rome-italy.61251/.

mayan

Legendary member
So just thought I'd quickly share with you some 3D flying practice with the RT Eraser Five on Picasim. It's the closest model I found to @Headbang 's AF Easy Edge.

@SquirrelTail what do you think?

And this I just thought was cool it's the exact same model (RT Eraser Five) expect this model is VPP which makes the throttle stick work as a reverse throttle, changing the motor spin turning it into a pusher; making it taxi in reverse but in flight that's a different story. Might explore this route on the Easy Edge because its pretty cool by itself, throttle on full reverse and no other inputs gives up a tail hanging plane that does cobra moves :).

OliverW

Legendary member
So just thought I'd quickly share with you some 3D flying practice with the RT Eraser Five on Picasim. It's the closest model I found to @Headbang 's AF Easy Edge.

And this I just thought was cool it's the exact same model (RT Eraser Five) expect this model is VPP which makes the throttle stick work as a reverse throttle, changing the motor spin turning it into a pusher; making it taxi in reverse but in flight that's a different story. Might explore this route on the Easy Edge because its pretty cool by itself, throttle on full reverse and no other inputs gives up a tail hanging plane that does cobra moves :).
Looking good! My recommendation is when you are hovering use less input and only when the plane starts falling or drifting

Headbang

Master member

I have been thinking of making a version similar for indoor. Super light, lower kv motor, bigger prop, single layer fuse and wing with the wing extending ribs down the fuse. Key is for it to be ultra light to make it ultra slow. And of couse reversing the throttle sounds like a good thing, make it work like a heli, which I do, so should not be too hard get the hang of it. Maybe after christmas I will toss something together.

mayan

Legendary member
Taking advantage of the last day before a storm hits again.
51B746C8-38FC-4269-A0A5-5CE2AAA652AE.jpeg

B989D925-A7A0-42A7-8ACF-966978B1DA4B.jpeg

mayan

Legendary member
Always a good thing man! (y) Do it when you can!
I did! I went to the field by myself without caring about footage and it’s quality and just flew and had fun. I flew only two planes but ran through 4 batteries two on each. I flew the Arrowhead and Spitfire and like always they didn’t disappoint me. I broke 2 6x4 props on the Arrowhead practicing the Cobra maneuver, but learned yet another thing about aviation. I learned that using throttle and up elevator I could enter the Cobra maneuver easily but adding throttle won’t exist it. To exist it I would point the nose down using the up elevator, basically changing the thrust line (I think). Any how it was pretty cool :).

9ED6B45C-FE25-489B-9064-7FC5C2FC1F43.jpeg

Piotrsko

Master member
Did I miss mentioning, LOW means something touches something else immovable? Probably should call it inverted touch & go. Used to have wheels on top of one sloper. Also once had a towhook on top of my monster combat glider for those odd launches.

mayan

Legendary member
Time for a weekly update, yeah that sum up post that brings all of my activity across the different threads that I take part in into one place :).
This last week has been pretty packed with flying, trying to go out to the field and fly as much as possible before the rainy weather and strong winds come back :). And that is exactly what I did! I went out to the field 3-4 times during this last week with friends, family and alone; spent a good couple of hours yeah time. Sometimes I had less damage to repair than others, but all in all I had a blast no matter what. My last outting for the week was today in which I had a blast flying 4 batteries cross 2 planes maxing my practice on them, Cobra manevuers and inverted low passes.

Here is a little sum up of the activity that I had across other threads.

True.

Alright so after a few mishaps I got this darn Mini Mustang to fly! It was a short ~1.5 min flight that ended in a plane that needs serious repairing :), which I am debating if to do or not. The Mini Mustang was a little fustrating to build because of the small pieces and small real estate for electronics. The build didn't go clean on the first and second time that I built it but all in all I am sure it can be a really nice indoor warbird flyer if you dial down to a 2S battery. I flew mine with an A pack motor, 6x4 prop, 3S 800mah battery, 20A ESC and 4x 9g servos, and it was still very fast and slipery. My crashed happened when I tried to fly inverted but had not enough down elevator to keep the nose up, kept trying hard instead of rolling out, don't know why :rolleyes:... Any how enjoy the maiden video :p.

CLIPED MEDIA
Here is the damage that was done to the Mini Mustang that I still have not repaired but due to recent activity on that thread and the trailer for the movie Top Gun Maverick I have decided to repair the model and fly the hell out of it :).
IMG-5068.JPG IMG-5069.JPG IMG-5070.JPG IMG-5071.JPG IMG-5072.JPG

Alright so I have flown hard with a few planes so far but it was time for me to take the Arrowhead to the next level of flying, and thus you have this. What is it? It's me trying to fly Cobara with the Arrow head and just fooling around :), Enjoy!

CLIPED MEDIA
The damage to this plane was crazy and involved cutting out a piece of the fuselage and replacing it with a new piece, but don't worry the damage was repaired and the plane flew again great today.
IMG-5077.JPG IMG-5078.JPG IMG-5079.JPG IMG-5080.JPG IMG-5179.JPG

It wasn't today so I hope you all let it slide into this thread although it was yesterday. I was flying the Spitfire which has easily become one of my favorite planes. I was flying it like I stole it, having fun pushing my skills and confidence level to it's limits. Then I did it I fliped inverted 1.5m from the ground and crashed. Enjoy the video and crash, which was filmed from an on board camera.

CLIPED MEDIA
This too had some damage done to it but considerably every minor, replacing the power pod and re-enforcing the hinges was all that was required. Here are two more videos that of me flying the Spitfire on two different occasions.

Alright so this morning I had no energy to post any of the videos that I editted last night, that's why they are all finding their way to one post or the other right now, 2/6 have already being posted now here comes number 3. This video should and could be posted on so many threads but I am actually posting it here. I am posting it here because I want everybody to see that with the right balance points this airframe can still fly good even after a dozen or so repairs including a few high speed nose dives into mother earth. I got this plane to fly again, even though not a rocket any more it can still take just a bit of more abuse :). Any how what the heck am I blabing about watch the video and see for yourself :p.

CLIPED MEDIA
Friends I have to tell you something about this airframe its undestructable! No matter how hard I crash it, no matter how many repairs it gets, it just keeps flying without any issues what so ever. This plane wasn't really repaired because I am sure it can still fly as is. Here are some pictures of it's battle scars :).
IMG-5073.JPG IMG-5074.JPG IMG-5075.JPG IMG-5076.JPG

@BATTLEAXE, @Wildthing here is that slomo video I promised you.

I also got back to a very improtant project to me which is teaching my children to fly. I've been flying with my hands over my son's on the sticks for a while and that was great but he kept losing interest pretty fast. I recently got a new Tx which allows me to buddy box with the old one so I just droped a Tx in his hands and gave it ago. Now I am pretty sure that he is hooked :p. Here is the post I wrote about it.
It’s been a while but we’re are back, back to teaching my children to fly! After a while of waiting, I finally received the new Tx that my wife bought me, the exact same Tx like @kilroy07 and @buzzbomb got a me some time ago. Why did I need a new one!? Well for a few reasons, one the 3 channel switch on the Tx broke, two I wanted to be able to hand my son a Tx knowing he will surely enjoy this more than flying with my hands over his on the Tx sticks.

Guess what? I was right! Today we took out the TT (4 channel, A pack motor, 20A ESC, 6x4 prop) with two friends and I hooked him up on buddy boxing. The day started with some hot chocolate with marshmallow and other snacks and proceeded to some fun flying time. I launched the plane, trimmed it out in flight (@BATTLEAXE) and prepared him for the hand off. I got the plane up high and told him that it was on all him now, and hit the switch that would give his Tx the control. I was scared and for a good reason too, the plane took a dive directly to the ground, he wasn't to blame though his Tx had the elevator reversed (my fault for not double checking). I figured that out and brought it down, fixed the problem, and took the plane back up, giving him control again after gaining altitude. This time he tried to turn without adding up elevator, and again the plane took a dive, I took back control, saved the plane, gained altitude, and gave him control again. We did this a few times until the battery was out, and I brought it in for a landing.

At this point we took a break and I went to fly some other birds (AF Easy Edge, Spitfire). After flying a bit myself and my friends leaving I hooked him up again and we went to fly two more batteries. This time he did much better, calming down on the sticks a bit. He had more time on the sticks without me taking control, expect for when the plane was low and close to the corn field, when I tried to save it. Two times I didn't succeed and the plane crashed. One the first crash no damage was done expect for the wings moving out of position, straighten them up and back to the air we go :). Of course my son was busy blaming me for the crash all during the way to find the plane and back but who cares. I kinda tricked him into agreeing with me that the crash was both of our faults.

The second crash was a hard one and broke the wing in half :(.My son cried and blamed me for it, saying that I ruined his plane. I hugged him and told him that it's ok that we'll try to fix it and if we fail we'll just build a new set of wings and decorate them, giving them the exact look that these had. Still to check the electronics to make sure nothing is broken.

Here are a few pictures from the day and two videos.
151685 151686 151687 151688 151689 151690 151691 151692 151693 151694

CLIPED MEDIA

I am going to try push as many practice flights as I can with my son before more rain comes so stay tuned for more on this thread in the near future.
I got to say something about the damage that was done to this one, it was weird never before have I broke any wings yet alone the Tiny Trainer wings the way I have this time. Tell me what you think? This has been repaired with some popsicle sticks, and tape and ready for another maiden hoping it will still fly and the fix will hold in the air :).
4f8d261d-c8c3-4144-a33f-0cbdfc0d65ce.JPG

I also finally had a chance to maiden the last AF Easy Edge that I built which only lived to see just that one maiden because the end result was a a pile of FB with broken servo cases, and electronics that I know not if will work :/

IMG-5195.JPG IMG-5196.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-5068.JPG
    IMG-5068.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 0

mayan

Legendary member
To sum up yesterday's post for the weekly update here are the videos I managed to get out of yesterday's practice. Not everything was filmed though because I had no intention of making a video out of yesterday's time out. I was practicing the Cobra with the Arrowhead flying very close to myself and trying to keep it within a small area, here is the video.

I was also practicing low inverted flying with the Spitfire, as well low high speed passes; climbing up, flipping, dropping, levelling out and screaming the field, here is that video.

Enjoy!

basslord1124

Master member
Wow, awesome stuff @mayan . Getting me pretty excited about the Spitfire's performance.

You know you remind me when I started back doing RC planes about 3-4 years ago. I had a Hobbyzone Champ, Piper Cub, and T28...all micro sized. I'd fly almost every day on my work lunch hour...wife was working then too. Eventually I think I did start suffering a little bit of burn out from getting out so much. Now life has caught up with me...my lunch hour is spent with the wife and we have a daughter. I'm still excited about the hobby, but my flying time has slowed down from what it used to be when I first started.

Keep doing what you're doing man, love watching and hearing all your stories and lessons learned...good and bad! :)