FT wing design

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Awhile ago I was on the FT store site and they had a sale of 6x3 props in a 2 pack for $0.15 US. I bought like 20 packs... not to long after I lost my Mini electronics in a tree lol
Lol - you gotta get em out man! Make it a challenge for yourself and try to think of the coolest contraption to get it out! I had to climb on the school's auditorium (highest part of the building) to get one of my crashed planes!:ROFLMAO:

GlassL

Lol - you gotta get em out man! Make it a challenge for yourself and try to think of the coolest contraption to get it out! I had to climb on the school's auditorium (highest part of the building) to get one of my crashed planes!:ROFLMAO:
I figure I can repair or rebuild the TT a lot cheaply before I crash my old babies. I'm over 60 now and the reaction time isn't what is was in my 20's :eek:

GlassL

That set up you got for it like I said will be really good. Even a 10x45 prop yo should get 15 min flight times or longer.

Did you get just the one LiPo?
Yes just the one matched set of motor, ESC and battery. I am using a masterscrew 10x6 prop on it. After I get it flying I will probably but more batteries for it. At this stage a 10 minute flight will be nerve racking enough.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yes just the one matched set of motor, ESC and battery. I am using a masterscrew 10x6 prop on it. After I get it flying I will probably but more batteries for it. At this stage a 10 minute flight will be nerve racking enough.
Haha yea i can see where there will be some jitters on it at first. I get like that for a few flights after a couple of weeks of not flying.

Take to the skies and get some video of it so we all can enjoy it (y)

GlassL

Haha yea i can see where there will be some jitters on it at first. I get like that for a few flights after a couple of weeks of not flying.

Take to the skies and get some video of it so we all can enjoy it (y)
I had my 25 year old son help me built the trainer and he is hand launching it for me. When I get to keep her in the sky long enough he can take some video on his phone. Once I remember what I'm doing I hope to get him hooked. I got him fishing and playing golf (my other hobbies) hopefully this one. He's the type that once I get him flying we can have a contest with either a more advance kit or better yet a scratch build! Shutting down for the night later.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
but the wing tip end up with an open under camber. Is this do to give the wing washout by increasing lift at the tips
Yes, the under camber wing tips is supposed to lessen a tip stall.

Myself, I don’t like them. I add the bottom to the wing tips. That is, I eliminate the under camber which makes the wing tips stronger, less prone to damage. I can’t tell a significant difference in tip stall.

GlassL

Yes, the under camber wing tips is supposed to lessen a tip stall.

Myself, I don’t like them. I add the bottom to the wing tips. That is, I eliminate the under camber which makes the wing tips stronger, less prone to damage. I can’t tell a significant difference in tip stall.
The first wing for my TT I thought it looked weird but it had to be a reason other than saving foam. Than I remembered that the under cambered wing had higher lift and more drag than the closed bottom. I can see it being good for the trainer, scout, and cub because you want them to fly slow and docile but it's on the mustang and spitfire too? Do you build from plans to foam board so adding the extra foam to cover out to the tips just altering the plans before cutting out your foam? I built a 40" wing following the Armin wing design and it looks much more like the balsa wings I am use to.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Do you build from plans to foam board so adding the extra foam to cover out to the tips just altering the plans before cutting out your foam?
Yes, I build from plans. I have built about 5 different FT planes. I start with the stock plans or a kit, for the first build. But I’ve built many different versions of each of the 5, making modifications to each new version.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just a few things!
On the TT the wing LE taper does not add washout but actually the opposite. Do a check on the aerofoil section on the tips Vs the main wing and it will be obvious.
yes the undercamber tips do add extra lift BUT it is an area of the wing that has little lift at slow speed anyway.
The main thing about the open tips on the underside of the wings is weight saving in an area where there is not much to be gained in strength or in lift.
You can enclose the wing tips using covering film or the like or extend the underside sheet to the tips. In order to not add too much weight you could consider removing all of the paper on the wing internal surfaces and add a wooden dihedral or wing jointing brace to better secure the wing joint.

You will find the difference in flight is not that great and hardly worth the effort. If wanting a faster bird then reduce the wing thickness, cover the wing underside, and add flaps for landing.

have fun!

GlassL

Just a few things!
On the TT the wing LE taper does not add washout but actually the opposite. Do a check on the aerofoil section on the tips Vs the main wing and it will be obvious.
yes the undercamber tips do add extra lift BUT it is an area of the wing that has little lift at slow speed anyway.
The main thing about the open tips on the underside of the wings is weight saving in an area where there is not much to be gained in strength or in lift.
You can enclose the wing tips using covering film or the like or extend the underside sheet to the tips. In order to not add too much weight you could consider removing all of the paper on the wing internal surfaces and add a wooden dihedral or wing jointing brace to better secure the wing joint.

You will find the difference in flight is not that great and hardly worth the effort. If wanting a faster bird then reduce the wing thickness, cover the wing underside, and add flaps for landing.

have fun!
Weight saving on a light trainer makes sense too. Just noticed that FT likes to use that design in the wings and was curious as to the reasoning behind it. Thanks for adding insight!