BetaFlight w/ F4 FC not connecting

papa_smurf

Hey all,

Recently bought the QAV 250 RTF, which came with a CC3D FC. The problem is it won't connect to BetaFlight, which should already be flashed on. New FPV pilot, so forgive me if I'm not using the right terms.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome to Flite Test. Don't feel bad we ALL have gone thru this recently with the FT Gremlins and drivers.

Beta flight does not get flashed to the flight controller. Its the graphics interface where you change the firmware parameters that are flashed on the flight controller.

As ElectriSean says there are two drivers that need to be installed to flash the FC. Flashing is NOT a must though to get you in the air. It just makes sure all the current features and fixes are in place and is highly suggested. Get the drivers loaded and talking to the Flight controller. Then get your radio gear talking and set up before worrying too much about flashing.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Beta flight does not get flashed to the flight controller. Its the graphics interface where you change the firmware parameters that are flashed on the flight controller.

Technically Betaflight is the firmware that gets flashed, Betaflight Configurator is the app you use to configure everything.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
First thing to check...your cable. Make sure it's a data cable. Some cables that come for charging things only have the power wires and no data wires. Happens more often than you'd expect.

That said...more info will help. Are you on Mac? Pc? Linux? mac/linux no need to mess with drivers - but on linux you could have permission issues with your ports. Pc you may need drivers - but windows should show that something is connecting even if it doesn't have drivers for it if your cable is good. If you're on windows and when you plug it in you don't get a new device showing up in the hardware manager then you've got a cable issue. If you do get a device but can't connect then it's a driver issue.

Tarvi

Thank you! I had tried several different cables with no luck and thought it must not be the cable and then I saw this post. I pulled out one that I used for years to transfer data a presto it worked.