The big bang of Mustangs

slowjo

Master member
She's definitely a farm dog without a farm. She may have some BC in her, she's either a mix or just poorly a bred heeler. She was pulled from a shelter in rural Alabama at 5 months by a rescue group in Fl, then was placed in a foster home. I got her at 6 months, and now she lives in NC. I spent a lot of time socializing her from day one, she's amazingly friendly for an ACD. Very Heeler in every other way, including nipping at my heels when she excited, frustrated or just wants my attention. Wicked smart, super athletic and a poor choice for most pet people but an awesome trail dog.
my first one was very well trained, I trained him with my kids, as the lowest in the pack, I made my youngest lay him on his back to pet him, and if we would go thru a gate, I made him go after her... so he know she was above him, playing fetch in the park he would always try to herd other dogs playing, not letting them get their own ball!

Marty72

Elite member
@Marty72 what wheels do you ride and where? I work part time in the only bike shop in Southwest Kansas.

I've got a Yeti SB45 (well actually, I also have a YT Tues for DH), ride the trials here in Pisgah, Asheville, NC. I spent 8 months in Wichita, in 1992, working for Boeing. I couldn't believe how windy and cold the winter was. The joke I use to hear was, "the only thing between us and Canada was a barb wire fence". So how far are you from trails in Co? A ways, I imagine. I grew up in UT and NM and been to Co many times.

whackflyer

Master member
We're probably 5 hours from any good trails. I love MTB style riding but don't get much of it. About the only trails around here are at the few local lakes we have. The weather can be nasty, but the saying is "if you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes". Nothing it's better then a 65* calm evening with a beautiful sunset and a smooth flying plane tho. We don't deal much with fancy mountain bikes like you have 🤣 we are a Haro dealer tho. Got some Haro Shift 27.5s in the showroom right now.

https://www.montezumabikes.com/

Marty72

Elite member
We're probably 5 hours from any good trails. I love MTB style riding but don't get much of it. About the only trails around here are at the few local lakes we have. The weather can be nasty, but the saying is "if you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes". Nothing it's better then a 65* calm evening with a beautiful sunset and a smooth flying plane tho. We don't deal much with fancy mountain bikes like you have 🤣 we are a Haro dealer tho. Got some Haro Shift 27.5s in the showroom right now.

https://www.montezumabikes.com/
OH, it just dawned on me, there should be no shortage of places to fly in rural Ks. Not a lot of trees, trees are the biggest issue for flying around here. They are everywhere!

Marty72

Elite member
HELP! CG location, spec says 2.75. If I use this number,my bird is very nose heavy. The spinner arrived today, but I'm not using it for the maiden, as I can't balance this plane without adding 25 grams on the tail (just to get 2.25). So did I screw something up and are they all nose heavy? I've got the battery as far back as I can get it. I can fix this, but before I do so, I just curious if this is a nose heavy design. I'm talking about the full size Ft Mustang.
Also,
I got a new receiver today, so I calibrated it to the ESC. However, if I turn the transmitter off before disconnecting the battery, the prop will run slowly. I've had this happen once before with a set up and thought I fixed it be re-calibrating, but this time no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I got a new receiver today, so I calibrated it to the ESC. However, if I turn the transmitter off before disconnecting the battery, the prop will run slowly. I've had this happen once before with a set up and thought I fixed it be re-calibrating, but this time no luck.
I am interested to see what the answer is to this one too. Maybe start a separate thread on it and see what responses you get. This might help me some with my Tx/Rx issue. I know when i lose signal on mine the prop will run slowly. You said you recalibrated the ESC once before and it worked and this time it didn't? I know some ESC's will have a setting that has a loss of signal safety that it will go into a default throttle setting in case of L.O.S. I never set mine up like that and never seen it before until i had these recent issues. One might corespond to the other

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
HELP! CG location, spec says 2.75. If I use this number,my bird is very nose heavy. The spinner arrived today, but I'm not using it for the maiden, as I can't balance this plane without adding 25 grams on the tail (just to get 2.25). So did I screw something up and are they all nose heavy? I've got the battery as far back as I can get it. I can fix this, but before I do so, I just curious if this is a nose heavy design. I'm talking about the full size Ft Mustang.
Also,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mine turned out nose heavy as well. I have no idea about the motor running up though - that’s weird.

Hoomi

Master member
With mine, I turn the plane over, and balance it at the first ridge in the wing. IIRC, there was something in the build video or the SBK that stated this. I'm running a 3S 2200mAh battery in mine, and it just barely fits between the power pod and the wing, with the Velcro mounted to the bottom of the power pod. It flies nice with that CG for me.

Marty72

Elite member
I am interested to see what the answer is to this one too. Maybe start a separate thread on it and see what responses you get. This might help me some with my Tx/Rx issue. I know when i lose signal on mine the prop will run slowly. You said you recalibrated the ESC once before and it worked and this time it didn't? I know some ESC's will have a setting that has a loss of signal safety that it will go into a default throttle setting in case of L.O.S. I never set mine up like that and never seen it before until i had these recent issues. One might corespond to the other

Yeah, I, like you, have left that feature in the default setting. I just don't know what causes it, I figured someone else must have had this issue.

Yeah, maybe a new separate thread.

Marty72

Elite member
With mine, I turn the plane over, and balance it at the first ridge in the wing. IIRC, there was something in the build video or the SBK that stated this. I'm running a 3S 2200mAh battery in mine, and it just barely fits between the power pod and the wing, with the Velcro mounted to the bottom of the power pod. It flies nice with that CG for me.
Thanks for your response. The first ridge is only 2.0 inches, not 2.75. Now I can get 2.0, or the first ridge. I've got my battery in the same place but waaaaay back, unreachable. I literally take a stick and shove it as far back as it will go. To remove, I pull the cable and strip free of the velcro. Now, I never fly ft planes at the spec cg, I find I have to fly the plane really slow if I do. On my maiden, I typically go about 1/2 of an inch forward of spec and then keep moving the cg back until I see a behavior I don't like. I'm using the same battery, 2200, btw.

The plane w/spinner, weighs 484 grams, which is great (Simple Scout weight). Should fly exceptionally well at this weight, less weight than the Spitfire. I'd like to put the spinner on but it weights 33 grams, and then I need to add another 25 grams to the tail, with the battery shoved back as far as I can get it (and still way short of 2.75).

The Spitfire and the P 40 with spinners attached are darn near perfect from a balance standpoint. The battery is located on both really close to the cg, so you can change battery sizes with minimal impact. I was hoping the P 51 would be the same, I hate to add dead weight. I guess I'll try and maiden tomorrow and figure out the cg, from there, I can decide on Spinner or no spinner.

Marty72

Elite member
I check balance from both sides, the bottom is difficult but it's a better indicator, the top is pretty insensitive. You can "balance" using the top surface in a relatively wide range. Now if you're in the field, using just your finger, flipping the plane upside down is the only way. As you know, I made a stand and use it. Honestly, at this point, I can fly it way out of balance and know what to change while in the field. I just figured, that this being the big bang of Mustangs........... I guess I'm the only one anal about cg.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I check balance from both sides, the bottom is difficult but it's a better indicator, the top is pretty insensitive. You can "balance" using the top surface in a relatively wide range. Now if you're in the field, using just your finger, flipping the plane upside down is the only way. As you know, I made a stand and use it. Honestly, at this point, I can fly it way out of balance and know what to change while in the field. I just figured, that this being the big bang of Mustangs........... I guess I'm the only one anal about cg.
I’ll see if I can find where it balances. From the crash damage it might be a little bit off though.

Marty72

Elite member
Pictures of the finished Mustang minus a spinner (I guess, I should have taken pictures before I removed the spinner). If I don't crash it on the maiden, I'll probably install the spinner and take the weight penalty (twice). Always nice to have pictures before the inevitable destruction occurs (of course the dog makes her way into all pictures). 584 Grams as shown, vs 617 Spitfire w/o spinner. It's going to be fun to fly this two head to head and see which one I like more. I'm hoping tomorrow morning will be the day I can launch both. Building these two planes has been a great "shut down" activity. The days pass so fast when I'm building (and hardly any thing else gets done...ha).

IMG_2425.JPG
IMG_2427.JPG
IMG_2437.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Pictures of the finished Mustang minus a spinner (I guess, I should have taken pictures before I removed the spinner). If I don't crash it on the maiden, I'll probably install the spinner and take the weight penalty (twice). Always nice to have pictures before the inevitable destruction occurs (of course the dog makes her way into all pictures). 584 Grams as shown, vs 617 Spitfire w/o spinner. It's going to be fun to fly this two head to head and see which one I like more. I'm hoping tomorrow morning will be the day I can launch both. Building these two planes has been a great "shut down" activity. The days pass so fast when I'm building (and hardly any thing else gets done...ha).

View attachment 164715 View attachment 164716 View attachment 164717
I will say it again, both those planes look so nice. You are gonna hafta do a Mig to try to balance out the collection a bit. You should try a Master Series build next. I have a feeling you would like the Corsair. I would like to do the new Mustang, and if they release the P-40, maybe a BF-109 or a Zero too

Marty72

Elite member
I will say it again, both those planes look so nice. You are gonna hafta do a Mig to try to balance out the collection a bit. You should try a Master Series build next. I have a feeling you would like the Corsair. I would like to do the new Mustang, and if they release the P-40, maybe a BF-109 or a Zero too
Thank you! I think I'm hooked on the WWII planes, at least for awhile. As long as I have the "private" flying field I have, I'll being doing these kinds of planes. I think the Corsair would be wicked. I wasn't all the keen on the P 51, but after it's done, I like it a lot. Yeah, I'll take a look at the Mig and think about it. I just started another P 40 build, going to build a body and set it aside.