Foam board suggestions

portfox

Hi guys, first post on the forum. I have been building and flying for over 30 years, mainly gliders. I like the challenge of these foam board planes. Look like a lot of fun! I'm in Toowoomba, just west of Brisbane and was wondering what you guys use with regards to foam board?
Thanks in advance

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
I use Adams fb from the Dollar Tree and Ross fb from Walmart. Both are light weight, about 4oz for a 20x30 sheet.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks Merv, sorry should have added that i'm in Australia. Found some on ebay, but it looks like its for signage.
ebay product: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-9mm-P...hash=item1cde771729:m:m2Z1vBCTIW5QVRbSqfw36Jg
I use a heavier Acid free FB which is normaly used to back photographs when mounted in a large frame.
As for a source I get mine from the local art shop though I do have a wholesaler lined up in the case I need vast quantities.

What works for me!

Have fun!

portfox

Looks good, I found an A2 size 5mm sheet they sell locally at the Office works shop. I'll pop down and grab a few of them, $9 a sheet, can't go wrong with that. Thanks for the info guys.

GreasedBrick

I'm in Mildura, Vic and use picture backing foam from the "Picture Parlour" it's paperbacked foam board seemingly identical to the dollar tree stuff, I've built several of the FT models using this and the results have been consistently good. I get a 1200x600 (or there abouts) for $20 Australian pesos.

Vapepool

here's a question, is the dollar tree foam similar to the FT foam board? looking to do a molded style F6F and my LSH never has the FT foam board instock. is the paper backing on the dollar tree stuff easy to peel off???

dap35

Elite member
here's a question, is the dollar tree foam similar to the FT foam board? looking to do a molded style F6F and my LSH never has the FT foam board instock. is the paper backing on the dollar tree stuff easy to peel off???
The FT foam board (especially the new white) is much easier to peel than the Ross FB.

rollerbot

I have had luck with the foam board from office works, used 1 and a half sheets to build my tiny trainer, its heavier then the american stuff and is tough to bevel but otherwise i have found it good to work with.