How to be a sponsored builder?

Bricks

Master member
One of the things I absolutely hate is someone doing an unboxing video, once in a blue moon someone actually does a good one but few and far between.

It seems to me that to really get attention one needs to be in competition and do very well at it.

Ggimlick

One of the things I absolutely hate is someone doing an unboxing video, once in a blue moon someone actually does a good one but few and far between.

LOL....I'd love to argue with you, but I can't. I say that as someone who has done several of them. In my defense.....each time it's because an editor or manufacturer has asked we do one. It's hard to make them interesting and most run waaaaaay too long.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have never been "sponsored" to do anything, but have helped "beta test" hardware and firmware. I have done this several times over the years by either applying for a beta project, or being contacted by someone wanting me to help with a project. These are a bit different though. There is usually an Non-Discolosure-Agreement that prohibits divulging any information, at least until the project has been released.

You looking to build a Tricopter? I could plausibly help out with that. ;)

Cheers!
LitterBug

Ggimlick

These are a bit different though. There is usually an Non-Discolosure-Agreement that prohibits divulging any information, at least until the project has been released.

Pretty much the same in the print world, but each magazine is different. Editors will usually let you know if it's an exclusive and needs to be kept under wraps until publication. Many times it's okay to mention you're working on something for an upcoming issue, but it's always best to check with an editor before disclosing too much. When I do a pre-release build for a manufacturer, I'm expected to not discuss it with anyone...after all, it's a beta test so they can get it tweaked and correct before release.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for all the input guys!

@rockyboy - My CAD skills got noticed online and through that I was approached to realise one of my gliders in carbon fibre - then Covid19 came along and now we will see whether it becomes a reality - keep plugging away I say! :)

That's awesome! :D Well.. the first part of that anyway... it ill be great fun to say "yeah, I knew the designer back when he was crashing his first slopers!" :p

On the unboxing videos, I've only seen one or two that I liked - and those had a lot of video editing work put in, along with a healthy dose of comedic commentary and cuts. They chopped what was probably 4 or 5 minutes of digging through the box and manual down into 30 seconds of content in a way that got the chuckles going - and that takes a couple talents coming together that we just don't all have. But darned if I can find them again now...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
In hindsight, I should have done an unboxing video the other day. Got a warranty replacement SSD from intel, and it ended up being a big box, then a smaller box, then a display case box, and another box inside that box with the actuall SSD inside a bag. That was one well protected SSD!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
BoxedIn.jpg

OliverW

Legendary member
I am part of a beta build team for "The Hangar RC". We get their foamboard plans and build their planes and tell them all the issues. I used to be a team pilot, but that's not as special as a sponsored builder

barbos

Hi folks ;)

Sorry for doing kinda necroposting, but I'm new here and was just browsing around...

My name is Gene and I run an online store with balsa glider kits as well.

I don't want to spoil any links here yet, not to sound spammy but I'd gladly send one to a builder who would like to share his build log.

If there is any kind of interest within the community members, I'll share more details.

Please, lmk ;)

- Gene

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Hi folks ;)

Sorry for doing kinda necroposting, but I'm new here and was just browsing around...

I don't want to spoil any links here yet, not to sound spammy but I'd gladly send one to a builder who would like to share his build log.

If there is any kind of interest within the community members, I'll share more details.

Please, lmk ;)

- Gene
Hi Gene,

There are some folks who'd jump right on that but personally I'd like to have a bit more information. I'm not into gliders but you did not mention if this would be a glider or not. I prefer scale stuff and generally things that are not always modeled or a technique that is not common. Size of the model would also be good so that I can gauge the time commitment. This would also help with determining materials on hand for the build review such as servos and other electronics. The reality is that most folks that don't do this full time are constrained by a budget of time AND expense. I've got a full-time job and we are working like mad right now toward an end goal in the coming week or so. Knowing a completion time expectation for the review would also be helpful.

Just a few thoughts from my end.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I'll do it, I'm retired now and have lots of time for projects. 😁👍 I haven't built a new airplane since we moved last year.

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Hi folks ;)

Please, lmk ;)

- Gene
Been looking at getting back into balsa and a glider sounds like a cool project to do that. I'm interested for sure(y)(y)

barbos

Hi guys,

Thanks for a warm welcome.

I wasn't sure if I could share the links straight away as every community has its own rules, formal and informal, and I didn't want to sound spammy.

But since the dialogue is up, I'd be happy to share more info.

Generally speaking, there are 2 kits that we produce at FlightPoint:

It's a Shaka - a 1-meter portable wing glider and a Maverick - a 1.5-meter electric glider with flaps and ailerons that can be also used for F5K competitions.

All the information about the models can be found by the links provided, but I'll be happy to answer any additional questions here if you will have some.

Shaka has been around for a while now and has already gained some good reviews from the pilots around the world. There is also a dedicated thread on RCGroups it if you'd like to get some additional tips.

Maverick is a new model, released just a few months ago. The prototype build has been maiden recently and performed great, but for the known reasons, we don't have too many opportunities to fly often. That's another story, not for this forum...

So the flight setup, throws, flight modes, mixing, etc, will need to be figured out by the builder.

We are expecting to have both kits back in stock in around a month, and I'd be glad to offer one of each to two modelers who will be interested in building these and also sharing their build log on this forum and/or other platforms.

Both kits contain all the parts and hardware needed for the build except for the covering film and rc gear.

Regarding the gear though, there is a lot of space to maneuver and choose the combination the builder will prefer. But we do not tie anyone to the expensive options in any way. Both models have recommendations that make an accent on the budget components, and we have some additional info on the blog on it as well, but people can choose what they want to use completely on their own.

So yeah, let me know who is interested, having all the context above and I'd be happy to discuss it further.

P.S. Sorry for the bunch of letters, never meant to make it a long read, but wanted to give you enough info at the same time.

Bo123

Elite member
Hi folks ;)

Please, lmk ;)

- Gene
Would you send to australia? I would gladly do a review for you! Might even start a youtube channel!

TooJung2Die

Master member
I think your posts are completely appropriate for this thread, Barbos. When I build the Maverick it's definitely going to have a Ukrainian flag color scheme. 😎👍

barbos

Thanks!

Yes, we can ship worldwide, with no issues...

The delivery time will be slightly extended though, compared to the 3 months before...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Love the kits! Looking through the videos on the RC Groups build threads they look like really nice flyers too - I'll happily purchase a pair of kits and give 'em a build! You mention about a month on the expected backorder time?