An idea to generate general interest in the hobby, specifically to interest women in the hobby

jolfstn74

Hi, relatively new member,I've been acutely interested in the hobby since my early teens and now in my mid 40s have bought & flown my first few planes. One thing Ive noticed then as now is the lack of female interest/membership/tolerance even (my ex is embarrassed by a full grown adult playing with toys.she said "it's me or the damned planes!" I'll miss her...) But before that happened, occasionally for extra cash she would host these "paint night" events which are really popular, I was thinking about using the same format to combine the 2,using relatively easy to assemble models and spending maybe an hour decorating them, then flying them,a festive relaxed atmosphere,serving wine & cheese with a host/facilitator, I see marketing it as a date night sort of event,or singles mixer/ladies half price, any thoughts? Google "paint night" if you're unfamiliar with the format,I think this could serve to finally bridge the gender gap in the hobby,and yes I'm aware there are a few women who fly models but they're few & far between.

Interesting idea.

Be aware that it's a scientifically proven fact that generally speaking, men are more interested in things and women are more interested in people. This is the reason there are so few girls in the STEM programs. Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

This is why in the Scandinavian countries, where they've been moving more toward gender equality than anywhere else, the proportion of women who are choosing STEM fields has decreased rather than increased. More women choose to be nurses (to care for individual patients one at a time) and more men choose to be surgeons (the technology and mechanics of how to repair something that's broken.)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Make everything pink or purple and put flower stickers everywhere. Replace marker lights with gem stones. Maybe throw in a coupon for a discount at a major shoe chain store, or for perfume with major purchases. Find a way to make FPV more hairdo friendly. NO ONE wants goggle strap hair when they leave the field. Not force them to fly at AMA fields riddled with bugs and out in the open sunshine. Make all the younger more handsome gentleman in the hobby fly shirtless at all times.

Theres sooo many things that could be done to attract woman pilots but NONE of it has to do with the actual hobby and there lies the problem. Very few woman think like our @CarolineTyler does.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
My wife likes the fact that there is a Horse at our field. She can not stand the noise (nor can my son) of the startup beeps and whiny propellers. (maybe Caroline is on to something. Make them WINEy propellers) So when she goes to the field, it is to see the horse. So maybe have more animals at the field, and/or flying animals. Hmmmm......

Cheers!
LitterBug

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Make everything pink or purple and put flower stickers everywhere. Replace marker lights with gem stones. Maybe throw in a coupon for a discount at a major shoe chain store, or for perfume with major purchases. Find a way to make FPV more hairdo friendly. NO ONE wants goggle strap hair when they leave the field. Not force them to fly at AMA fields riddled with bugs and out in the open sunshine. Make all the younger more handsome gentleman in the hobby fly shirtless at all times.

Theres sooo many things that could be done to attract woman pilots but NONE of it has to do with the actual hobby and there lies the problem. Very few woman think like our @CarolineTyler does.
Oh I love my Romcom films, pamper evenings, a bottle of bubbly AND my Vulcan bombers, quads, and motorcycles....gosh how I miss my Kawasaki K1000!!!
Why can't I have my plushies and rockets?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My wife likes the fact that there is a Horse at our field. She can not stand the noise (nor can my son) of the startup beeps and whiny propellers. (maybe Caroline is on to something. Make them WINEy propellers) So when she goes to the field, it is to see the horse. So maybe have more animals at the field, and/or flying animals. Hmmmm......

Cheers!
LitterBug
Wouldnt that be a conflict of interest with the younger crowd and giving them soft targets to pester? :devilish:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cheers!
LitterBug
Oh NO! Laughing. Out. Loud! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hmmm... here's an idea. Run Gas Turbine planes on Wine. That would make them WINEy! (although burning high proof beverages may be considered sacrilege in some circles)

yeah that falls under the alcohol abuse category. At least from our rules when I was in the Navy (fondly remembered as "Back in the drinkin days")

BUT!!!! I see no issues with burning the bad flowery type perfumes the old grammas douse themselves in

jolfstn74

Ok I get the point! I was teetering on the edge of mysogeny (was that the point? Or are the lot of you saying you don't necessarily WANT a lot of women at the field? Not 100%clear...) I'm not suggesting getting anyone plastered before flying either,just thought there might be a way one need not live as a monk to fly airplanes,but it seems migtow has already got hold of the organization.ill simply resign myself to live a quiet life of celibacy if that is the price of indulging my hobby. Forgive me for attempting to upset the delicate balance at the airfield,but I still maintain,man or woman, anyone open minded enough to try the hobby will get as addicted as the lot of us.back to the drawing board.