SBD Dauntless from scratch (Scale looking)

What accessories should I add under the wings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flyingshark

Master member
I am in love with TF power pod, so i use it in all my planes.
View attachment 174133 View attachment 174134 View attachment 174135 View attachment 174137

The cowling is removable to extract the power pod. the dummy radial engine will be attached to this section.
There are 3 pieces of bbq sticks that prevent the cowl from move out while two magnets i will put latter, hold it in place.
See the 3 bbq stick pins and how they fit on the rear part of the cowl.
View attachment 174136 View attachment 174139 View attachment 174140 View attachment 174138

Black or dark gray paint is required for the inside of the cowl to generate the effect.
Looks amazing! I can't wait to see it fly! I've been wanting to build an SBD, so I'll be sure to keep checking up on this!

Rudder and fin are ready, and i am offitialy out of materuials... :cry:

I'm really impressed with all the detailing!

I started with the fuselaje some days ago usign 3view plan and hot wire cutter.

After some sanding work. Stat lookig good.
What are you planning to do for the canopy?

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Hey, guys, I've been gone for a while, and here's some updates. The building process has been slow, I've had some extra duties this month and I've been a little busy.
Here's the progress from last month. The cowl is ready, painted and aged, only the exhaust pipes are missing. I can't find anything similar to reproduce them. I think I'll end up carving them into foam.
Notice the engine cooling flaps. They're pieces of plastic inserted into the foam.
Still need to add some marks like the white number "10" on both sides of the cowl.

just painted.
IMG_20200724_073102.jpg IMG_20200727_210652.jpg IMG_20200727_210704.jpg IMG_20200727_210636.jpg

some details added
IMG_20200727_214320.jpg IMG_20200727_214306.jpg IMG_20200727_214314.jpg

it is 35g, maybe a bit heavy for 100mm wingspan.
IMG_20200727_210339.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hey, guys, I've been gone for a while, and here's some updates. The building process has been slow, I've had some extra duties this month and I've been a little busy.
Here's the progress from last month. The cowl is ready, painted and aged, only the exhaust pipes are missing. I can't find anything similar to reproduce them. I think I'll end up carving them into foam.
Notice the engine cooling flaps. They're pieces of plastic inserted into the foam.
Still need to add some marks like the white number "10" on both sides of the cowl.

just painted.
View attachment 176526 View attachment 176528 View attachment 176529 View attachment 176530

some details added
View attachment 176531 View attachment 176532 View attachment 176533

View attachment 176534
Yeah 35g is really heavy for a 100mm airplane :LOL:
Haha, that looks really good!! Excellent work as always!!

P40VRP

just painted.
View attachment 176526 View attachment 176528 View attachment 176529 View attachment 176530

some details added

View attachment 176534

You could take some aluminum wire the right diameter and bend it the correct angle and HOT glue it in and paint it to match the exhaust. I have just set up some dog kennels and the aluminum wire used to hold the fencing to the piping looks like it would work for your exhaust. Just a thought to go along with your outstanding work!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
You could take some aluminum wire the right diameter and bend it the correct angle and HOT glue it in and paint it to match the exhaust. I have just set up some dog kennels and the aluminum wire used to hold the fencing to the piping looks like it would work for your exhaust.
Thanks for the tip!!! i need to find some aluminium wire, it is no so easy here, buy i will try.

Just a thought to go along with your outstanding work!
Thank u!!!

P40VRP

just painted.

some details added

View attachment 176534

@cdfigueredo What do you use to make the rivet marks? Also, how do apply the weathering detail? In an earlier post you mentioned using a pencil to weather the rudder.......a #2 pencil?

Also, your dummy radial engine looks amazing! I thought the cylinders were metal until I looked closer and saw that they were foam!

I see the fuselage is solid foam; is that correct? Do you plan to hollow out the fuselage in the canopy area for the electronics and battery? Will you do this strictly by hand?

Please share more of this outstanding SBD Dauntless build!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
More updates!
i finished the cowl yesterday. Number "10" mark is in place. i used white paint and a small eye brush form my wife, an old one of course. hahaha.
Also the exhaust pipes are done too, i made them with some electrical wire covering.
IMG_20200809_202533.jpg IMG_20200809_205853.jpg IMG_20200809_202621.jpg IMG_20200809_202612.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_202727.jpg
    IMG_20200809_202727.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
@cdfigueredo What do you use to make the rivet marks? Also, how do apply the weathering detail? In an earlier post you mentioned using a pencil to weather the rudder.......a #2 pencil?
For marking the panels and rivets i use a simple mechanical pencil and a ruler. i worked over depron, so no paper skin as foamboard, i tried yesterday with foamboard and the lead must be sharpened to mahe the rivets. I use a ruler for guide and punch the foam with the mechanical pencil trying to let the same distance between each rivets.
For the weathering details i use a regular HB pencil, nothing special, of course, if u can find some dawing pencils sholud be better, for example a 2B or even an 8B for darker details.

Also, your dummy radial engine looks amazing! I thought the cylinders were metal until I looked closer and saw that they were foam!
Thanks for that!!! i am no as happy as i would like to be but it is fine. Maybe a 3d printed one should look better, but then wont be to much work putted on that. ;)

I see the fuselage is solid foam; is that correct? Do you plan to hollow out the fuselage in the canopy area for the electronics and battery? Will you do this strictly by hand?
Yes, it is correct. The foam i am usign is not really rigid, so i must be carefully when hollow it to avoid let the walls to much thin. I am planing only hollow the necesary to allow the electronics and maybe some scale parts like the cockpit and pilots. But not sure yet. And yes, by hand, i mostly do everything by hand. ;);)

P40VRP

More updates!
i finished the cowl yesterday. Number "10" mark is in place. i used white paint and a small eye brush form my wife, an old one of course. hahaha.
Also the exhaust pipes are done too, i made them with some electrical wire covering.
View attachment 176772 View attachment 176776 View attachment 176774 View attachment 176773

How did you form the cowl? It looks so perfectly round!

And what is that green color on the bottom of the cowl? Is that the color of the depron? It makes it look so weathered and authentic looking!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
How did you form the cowl? It looks so perfectly round!

And what is that green color on the bottom of the cowl? Is that the color of the depron? It makes it look so weathered and authentic looking!
The cowl was carved for a piece of EPO using templates to get the right shape. Lot of sanding. It is not perfect but who cares. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

The green color is simulating the scratch on the paint. Simulating the green primer color. ;)