Can you takeoff and land inverted?

L Edge

Master member
SquirrelTail:

Being an accomplished pilot, one he has not done is to TAKEOFF, FLYAROUND AND LAND INVERTED. I used an Andrew's Aeromaster many moons ago to have that fun. Don't know of any simulator that allows that to practice.

He has agreed to do a build a plane and attempt it. Wish him the best of luck and a wave!!! He must complete the landing with the plane landing in one piece.

Should be interesting

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Don't those planes have gear up and down?
Wait, is he building something for the sim? Or IRL

L Edge

Master member
He is going to use some Ft design I think. It is actually giving him a chance to modify something that doesn't exist. Gear on top as well as bottom. Then he actually has to perform maneuvers he hasn't done. Good test of his skills.

quorneng

Master member
If I wanted to do it, which I don't, I would keep it to a very simple pod and boom belly take off and lander. It would just have a pod and boom top and bottom with the wing and tail plane in between, something like this.
DoubleSided.jpg

Symmetrical wing section, no dihedral and a battery in the nose of each pod.
With light weight, sufficient wing area & power a belly take off is no problem.
This does with ease.
19May18.JPG

Piotrsko

Master member
Actually done and recorded first with a Pitts S2a full size, but probably done back in the '70s by crazy people. I winch launched a combat kitten glider inverted ONCE, maxed out the contest inverted, then was asked to leave the club in '82 when I landed

L Edge

Master member
Actually done and recorded first with a Pitts S2a full size, but probably done back in the '70s by crazy people. I winch launched a combat kitten glider inverted ONCE, maxed out the contest inverted, then was asked to leave the club in '82 when I landed

The concept was shown on the cover of a RC magazine back in the 70"s, so wanting to do it, got the Aeromaster and did it. I practiced in the air where I pictured the step by step process quite a bit before I tried the actual in front of club members. No damage.

Other langing gear was rubber banded on top of the wing and flexable wheel went on re-enforced rudder so you could flare it upside down. Used another approach a couple of years back where I called it "The Other UP" which is alot of fun.

Bricks

Master member
Easy to do just reverse your elevator throw no special build needed, don`t ask how I know this..

Piotrsko

Master member
Easy to do just reverse your elevator throw no special build needed, don`t ask how I know this..
That is for all intents and purposes, cheating. Switch extender or permanent? The stuff I flew back then was set up so 4 clicks downtrim was sufficient

SNOW6CAT

I have noticed that on my bushwhacker it is impossible for me to fly upside-down without loosing altitude very quickly. I would definitely suggest a design with little or no airfoil like the flite test 3d edge. When you are upside-down airfoil will pull you towards the ground instead of giving you lift. Also you might want to switch the servo throws to high so you have more control because you are probably going to need it.
(And like quorneng said, dihedral is bad when you are inverted.)
Hope this helps 🙂

L Edge

Master member
Will see what they can come up with, but with a real stable bipe, it would make it real easy. In fact, can do 3D stuff in between so you don't get "dumb thumbs" if you did it again and again while practicing. Cup also protects(no gear) on landing. Days having no wind allows you to launch inverted by hand.

OliverW

Legendary member
Will see what they can come up with, but with a real stable bipe, it would make it real easy. In fact, can do 3D stuff in between so you don't get "dumb thumbs" if you did it again and again while practicing. Cup also protects(no gear) on landing. Days having no wind allows you to launch inverted by hand.

I can't decide what to use for my plane. Probably a FT-3D, but a baby blender is tempting! My fear about it is all the force going on the struts for that... and then my fear for both planes is making them too nose heavy.. hmm

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I can't decide what to use for my plane. Probably a FT-3D, but a baby blender is tempting! My fear about it is all the force going on the struts for that... and then my fear for both planes is making them too nose heavy.. hmm
You gotta do it! Maybe do a ft simple spit. I've heard it does wonders inverted! Shouldn't be too hard to stick landing gear into the fuselage upside down either.

L Edge

Master member
You gotta do it! Maybe do a ft simple spit. I've heard it does wonders inverted! Shouldn't be too hard to stick landing gear into the fuselage upside down either.

Now, that is the fun where you need to adapt. Your are now into designing, rather than just copying (CAD) a model. Use your flight skills and your gut instinct to help you. Do some research on the internet. Find an alternative if needed.

Do this SquirrelTail, and in a few years you will be designing planes that no has.

OliverW

Legendary member
Now, that is the fun where you need to adapt. Your are now into designing, rather than just copying (CAD) a model. Use your flight skills and your gut instinct to help you. Do some research on the internet. Find an alternative if needed.

Do this SquirrelTail, and in a few years you will be designing planes that no has.
I would start the build this week, but I'm out of printer paper! It'll have to start next week sadly