Can you convince me to upgrade?

Chuppster

Hello all! I've been flying with my QX7 for 2 years now and I've found it to be a very capable and reliable radio, especially given the price point. That being said, as my fleet has grown in quantity and quality, I wonder if it might be wise to fly my 120cc gassers with something other than a $100 radio. I'm familiar with the Horus line but on paper, I can't seem to find a feature that really makes me want to move up in transmitters. I'd like to stick with FrSky, because I have so many RX's for them, along with the compatibility with the 4-in-1 module.

If you own a Horus or a "higher end" FrSky transmitter, what convinced you to make the switch? What are some of your favorite features once you did the upgrade?

chris398mx

Master member
Hello all! I've been flying with my QX7 for 2 years now and I've found it to be a very capable and reliable radio, especially given the price point. That being said, as my fleet has grown in quantity and quality, I wonder if it might be wise to fly my 120cc gassers with something other than a $100 radio. I'm familiar with the Horus line but on paper, I can't seem to find a feature that really makes me want to move up in transmitters. I'd like to stick with FrSky, because I have so many RX's for them, along with the compatibility with the 4-in-1 module.

If you own a Horus or a "higher end" FrSky transmitter, what convinced you to make the switch? What are some of your favorite features once you did the upgrade?

I have a friend that used the Horus and he recently went back to using one of the new Taranis radio's. I think his main reason was battery life with the Horus was very short compared to the Taranis and he did not like the display in the sun. He thought it was hard to see. The new Taranis has much longer battery life and he thinks the display is much better in the light. Not sure if this helps you or not.

I have a question for you. This same friend convinced me to start using FRSky as well and I have had mixed results. Using the X8R and the RX8R Pro i have had no issues, but i have some S8R and S6R receivers that seem to be giving me trouble. Have you used any of the stability receivers and if so, have they been trouble free for you?

Chuppster

I have a friend that used the Horus and he recently went back to using one of the new Taranis radio's. I think his main reason was battery life with the Horus was very short compared to the Taranis and he did not like the display in the sun. He thought it was hard to see. The new Taranis has much longer battery life and he thinks the display is much better in the light. Not sure if this helps you or not.

I have a question for you. This same friend convinced me to start using FRSky as well and I have had mixed results. Using the X8R and the RX8R Pro i have had no issues, but i have some S8R and S6R receivers that seem to be giving me trouble. Have you used any of the stability receivers and if so, have they been trouble free for you?

I have stayed away from the "S" receivers. I have heard they have problems, and if I need a gyro I'd like something a little more reliable.

Thank you for the insight into the Horus. I had heard about the display, hadn't considered the battery life. Which radio does your friend have?

chris398mx

Master member
I have stayed away from the "S" receivers. I have heard they have problems, and if I need a gyro I'd like something a little more reliable.

Thank you for the insight into the Horus. I had heard about the display, hadn't considered the battery life. Which radio does your friend have?
I believe he has this one. FrSky Taranis X9D Plus 2019 ACCESS 2.4G 24CH Radio Transmitter
https://www.getfpv.com/frsky-taranis-x9d-plus-2019-access-2-4g-24ch-radio-transmitter-pre-order.html

What receivers are you using? Any issues?

Chuppster

Okay, the X9D is very similar to the QX7 (from what I've gathered). The 7 is actually newer than the 9.

I use almost all X8R/RX8R's. I use the RX8R's in the more valuable airplanes alongside an X8R for redundancy. For my foamies and smaller balsa models, I'll use the $10 FlySky IA6B Rx's (through my 4-in-1 module). I actually have a better track record with my FlySky Rx's than my FrSky RX's, but the FrSky receivers go through a lot more stress dealing with gasser RF and vibrations.

chris398mx

Master member
Okay, the X9D is very similar to the QX7 (from what I've gathered). The 7 is actually newer than the 9.

I use almost all X8R/RX8R's. I use the RX8R's in the more valuable airplanes alongside an X8R for redundancy. For my foamies and smaller balsa models, I'll use the $10 FlySky IA6B Rx's (through my 4-in-1 module). I actually have a better track record with my FlySky Rx's than my FrSky RX's, but the FrSky receivers go through a lot more stress dealing with gasser RF and vibrations.
What protocall do the FlySky receivers use? i don't have the 4-in-1 module?

chris398mx

Master member
Flysky protocols are AFHDS & AFHDS 2A

I use the 4 in 1 module in my Tx, works great. I'm still using the Turnigy 9XR Pro, still works great. I have no intentions to upgrade.
Ok thanks, are there different brands of these 4 in 1 modules? which one do i buy and where can i get it that i dont have to wait for it to come from china?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member

chris398mx

Master member
I see from your last video that you decided to upgrade to the Horus. Are you happy with your decision? If so, what were the features worth the upgrade?

Chuppster

I see from your last video that you decided to upgrade to the Horus. Are you happy with your decision? If so, what were the features worth the upgrade?

When I saw they were going for $240 on the used market I couldn't help but try it out. I didn't think I'd care, but the gimbals are very nice and it makes flying "feel" better. I also really enjoy the screen, it makes it easier to find my models if I can put a picture next to them on the model select screen. For me I'd say it was definitely worth the upgrade. The only downside is that I can't swap the battery at the field, but the onboard charging helps mitigate that issue.

stereodreieck86

Do you have too much money? If so, I am going to give my Paypal mail.

Here is my perspective from Germany, the old, second Hand RXs (ACCST) are available for a very low price (new 39Euro, used 22bucks) because people switching to Access or a different brand like Jeti.
I bought a S6R for 15bucks.

If you fly models with tons of functions (WW2 Bomber with retracts, lights, bomb drop, Flaps and so on) it makes sense to switch to a different remote with more switches.

If you want to buy something useful, buy this Tray for the X7, it makes flying more enjoyable.
s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Senderpult-...556641?hash=item3ae4aba261:g:KLMAAOSwX61ZHUjq