I have some question about RC Plane

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Are this parts compatble ? Can this motor fly with 1350mAh lipo battery ?
I think the answer is yes, let's take a closer look. Here is the process.

Start with the motor, you need to find out how many amps it is rated for. Then select a prop that will not exceed the amp rating at the voltage you intend to use.

Next, select an ESC with a higher amp rating than the motor will draw. Give yourself some over head, a minimum of 3-5 amps, as the ESC will also be supplying power to the servos & Rx.

Finally, select a battery that can supply enough amps to power your setup. The amps a battery can supply is calculated, mah/1000 x C.
Example: a 1350mah 30C battery can supply 40.5 amps (1350/1000 x 30 = 40.5)

All of the amp ratings are do not exceed numbers. If you exceed the amp draw, the weakest link will give out first.
The battery needs to be within the voltage limits of the motor & ESC's voltage rating.

The last thing to think about is will all of the connectors fit. If you can solder, it's a simple process to change a connector. If you can't solder, it's a big problem.

Last edited:

spacelovers4222

Th
I think the answer is yes, let's take a closer look. Here is the process.

Start with the motor, you need to find out how many amps it is rated for. Then select a prop that will not exceed the amp rating at the voltage you intend to use.

Next, select an ESC with a higher amp rating than the motor will draw. Give yourself some over head, a minimum of 3-5 amps, as the ESC will also be supplying power to the servos & Rx.

Finally, select a battery that can supply enough amps to power your setup. The amps a battery can supply is calculated, mah/1000 x C.
Example: a 1350mah 30C battery can supply 40.5 amps (1350/1000 x 30 = 40.5)

All of the amp ratings are do not exceed numbers. If you exceed the amp draw, the weakest link will give out first.
The battery needs to be within the voltage limits of the motor & ESC's voltage rating.

The last thing to think about is will all of the connectors fit. If you can solder, it's a simple process to change a connector. If you can't solder, it's a big problem.

Thank you !
I can solder
Sorry for my stupid questions but I have another question

A2212 2700KV Brushless Motor or 2204 2300KV Brushless Motor
Which is better ? And Should I use 30A ESC or 20A ESC ?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
for basically all parts... there isn't a 'better' choice, only a better for a specific application choice. Since we don't know what your trying to build, we can't tell you which one is better.

Generally using a higher A rated ESC then needed won't hurt anything, it would just weigh more and lightly cost more.

the FT F pack motor is a 2205 2300kV motor and is suggested for a 6" prop with 3-4S voltage and the included ESC is a 20A ESC. So if your using that motor on 3S with an approprate sized prop, the 20A ESC should be fine, but the 30A ESC wouldn't hurt other then possibly weighing more.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
......Which is better ? And Should I use 30A ESC or 20A ESC ?
It all depends on what you want to do.
The 2212 is just a bigger motor, it will go faster & produce more thrust. Think bigger plane or quad.
The 2204 will weigh much less and draw fewer amps. Think fly longer & more efficient.

If your motor setup will draw fewer than 17 amps, you can use the 20, it will be a bit lighter. The only issue with the 30 is a bit more weight. If you want a bit more amp head room, use the 30, the weight difference is minimal.

spacelovers4222

for basically all parts... there isn't a 'better' choice, only a better for a specific application choice. Since we don't know what your trying to build, we can't tell you which one is better.

Generally using a higher A rated ESC then needed won't hurt anything, it would just weigh more and lightly cost more.

the FT F pack motor is a 2205 2300kV motor and is suggested for a 6" prop with 3-4S voltage and the included ESC is a 20A ESC. So if your using that motor on 3S with an approprate sized prop, the 20A ESC should be fine, but the 30A ESC wouldn't hurt other then possibly weighing more.

This plane what I want to do
FT ALPHA - Build | Flite Test - YouTube

JasonK

spacelovers4222

you can see the recommended parts for that plane here:

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-alpha-electric-airplane-kit-736mm-flt-1049/p673713

which is
- the FT F-pack power system (2205 2300kV motor, 20A ESC, Flite Test ES9051 5g Servos)
- 3s 850mAh Lipo battery

which means your battery is likely going to be on the heavy side for the plane. Will still likely fly, but will need to fly faster to account for the additional weight.

Oh Thank you

Do you think I can use 1350mAh ? Speed is not that important for me

JasonK

as both @Merv and @Corsair714 said, if this is your first plan, I don't think the Alpha is a good first choice. the Tiny Trainer is a better first plane.

Regarding the speed, I am talking about the minimum speed the plan will fly at. When your just starting out having this as low as possible is prefereable as it give you more time to react and less likely to lose control.

Do I think that plane can fly with the heavier battery? maybe, good idea for a first time flyer? no.

spacelovers4222

If this is your first plane, the Alpha, may not be the best choice. I'd recommend a plane that fly's much slower. Something like the Tiny Trainer, Simple Cub or FT Explorer.

When you learn to fly, then go for the Alpha.

This is not first one actually, I am just trying to do an RC Plane myself first time, speed is not a problem

Corsair714

as both @Merv and @Corsair714 said, if this is your first plan, I don't think the Alpha is a good first choice. the Tiny Trainer is a better first plane.

Regarding the speed, I am talking about the minimum speed the plan will fly at. When your just starting out having this as low as possible is prefereable as it give you more time to react and less likely to lose control.

Do I think that plane can fly with the heavier battery? maybe, good idea for a first time flyer? no.
sorry missed your post about why a heavy battery isn't good. just ended up repeating what you said with different wording. Whoops 😂

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Th

Thank you !
I can solder
Sorry for my stupid questions but I have another question

A2212 2700KV Brushless Motor or 2204 2300KV Brushless Motor
Which is better ? And Should I use 30A ESC or 20A ESC ?
I run the same set-up on one of my Tiny trainers no issues, with a 1000 mAh battery and 20 amp ESC. The only advice I can give don't go larger than a 6X4 prop and don't use JST connectors, I had two melt on me so only use XT30's on these now.