Simulators <> real rc flight

Wil

How do the simulators (reflex xtr or others) compare to real rc flight ?
Easier, more difficult or just not comparable ?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Good for basic reflex training, not so great for environmental, wind, gusts, gravity realism.

Reactions: Wil

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
How do the simulators (reflex xtr or others) compare to real rc flight ?
Easier, more difficult or just not comparable ?

Sims tend not to be the same as real flying. Wind conditions, distance, how fast the plane moves - it's not quite the same.

That said, sims DO help establish the proper orientation for flight - i.e., getting used to left being right and right being left when the plane is coming towards you, or practicing inverted flight where down is up and up is expensive in real life. It also helps you to get the basics of flight down, and help you learn muscle memory for left and right, up and down, etc., without costing you an arm and a leg every time you crash (and you WILL crash).

I will use a sim to practice things like harrier maneuvers or knife edge flight for 3D flying (something I'm still pretty terrible at), or for practicing when it's nighttime or there's bad weather. There are certainly benefits; just don't expect things to behave exactly the same way in real life.

ThatsALotOfPlanes

I flew sims growing up, years before my first plane. I'd say the biggest difference is there usually isn't as much inertia in the planes, almost like they're flying on invisible train tracks. Also, even on the calmest evenings, you'll still find a few ripples in the air. Sims are great for learning the basics though, I credit my ability to coordinate rudder and elevator to sim practice.