Solved Motor setup check

OlliePackman

After thinking, I've realised that I never fly my modified simple soarer with flaps and ailerons because it only has the glider nose. So, I want to put a motor on it - would this setup work?

50a esc (because that's what I already have) - https://uk-m.banggood.com/Hobbywing...gbg-en-mb¤cy=GBP&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1

2840 1800kv motor (will need to buy this) - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...tm_campaign=google_gb_shopping&countrycode=GB

10 x 6 folding propellor (no idea if this is a suitable size, it's just what I found) - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/folding...8tECrpzRdtmw36eHvbRoCK04QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was going to use a 2200mah 3s as well?

By the way, I can't use the flite test reccomended motor because my glider is quite a bit heavier than normal with the mods and extra weight I put into the wings for better penetration into the wind so I wandered if this is good.

quorneng

Master member
Ollie
Be aware that motor is mounted at the front. Does your glider nose have sufficient space to mount the motor that way. Note also the motor wire also come out of the front so have to run back along side the rotating motor bell. This can be an issue if space around the motor is limited.
It may be easier to install a motor that has a rear mount. The wires will then also come out of the back.
Have you considered how much extra weight you will be placing in the fuselage? Will the glider wings be sufficiently strong?

OlliePackman

Ollie
Be aware that motor is mounted at the front. Does your glider nose have sufficient space to mount the motor that way. Note also the motor wire also come out of the front so have to run back along side the rotating motor bell. This can be an issue if space around the motor is limited.
It may be easier to install a motor that has a rear mount. The wires will then also come out of the back.
Have you considered how much extra weight you will be placing in the fuselage? Will the glider wings be sufficiently strong?
Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't spotted that. I would have been hard pushed for fuselage space to have the motor mounted inside. I think the wing will be strong enough because I have one normal, standard wing and a wing which I will most use which I modified to have a slightly stronger spar, ailerons and flaps as well as a little extra weight anyway to penetrate the wind.
In this case then, what motor battery and prop setup do you reccomend for a slightly heavier than usual simple soarer?

quorneng

Master member
Ollie
I have not built a Simple Soarer but I note the recommended all up as a glider is about 13 oz. How much do you think you have added to yours?
Personally I would not go as far as a 2200 mAh 3s. It is after all an efficient glider so the power required to fly is quite modest. Try to fly too fast and something is likely to break, probably the wing as you accidentally put on a bit too much up elevator!
I have used many of these motors. (6 in 5 different planes)
Cheap, small and light yet remarkably powerful. The 1200kV version will happily swing a 10x4.7 or a 9x6 on a 3s. As it only draws 14.5A at full power (160W) a 1500MAh 3s is plenty. It would give you 6 minutes at full power and maybe 3 times that doing what a glider does best - cruising. As it has a rear mount it can be screwed directly to a ply bulkhead.
As an example. With a slightly smaller 40" span this pusher, with flaps, uses the 1500 Kv version of that motor driving a 7x6.
Picture5.JPG

It weighs 16.8 oz with a 1500 mAh 3s so is likely a bit lighter but it has a truly aerobatic performance which I would not recommend with a Simple Soarer set of wings!
I am a firm believer that in an aerodynamically efficient airframe an adequate but efficient motor prop combination pays dividends and as a by product gives a long endurance too.
I hope this helps.

OlliePackman

Ollie
I have not built a Simple Soarer but I note the recommended all up as a glider is about 13 oz. How much do you think you have added to yours?
Personally I would not go as far as a 2200 mAh 3s. It is after all an efficient glider so the power required to fly is quite modest. Try to fly too fast and something is likely to break, probably the wing as you accidentally put on a bit too much up elevator!
I have used many of these motors. (6 in 5 different planes)
Cheap, small and light yet remarkably powerful. The 1200kV version will happily swing a 10x4.7 or a 9x6 on a 3s. As it only draws 14.5A at full power (160W) a 1500MAh 3s is plenty. It would give you 6 minutes at full power and maybe 3 times that doing what a glider does best - cruising. As it has a rear mount it can be screwed directly to a ply bulkhead.
As an example. With a slightly smaller 40" span this pusher, with flaps, uses the 1500 Kv version of that motor driving a 7x6.
View attachment 200226
It weighs 16.8 oz with a 1500 mAh 3s so is likely a bit lighter but it has a truly aerobatic performance which I would not recommend with a Simple Soarer set of wings!
I am a firm believer that in an aerodynamically efficient airframe an adequate but efficient motor prop combination pays dividends and as a by product gives a long endurance too.
I hope this helps.
Thanks! That helps a lot. Its only a 1 - 2 oz heavier so this should be fine