Dollar Tree Foam

Tarheel Dan

i'm new to building planes from foamboard, and very much like the idea. i've begun to cut out an FT Simple Cub.

the dollar tree foam is fragile. it dents and creases when you look at it sideways. not fun to work with. i'm accustomed to making architectural models out of much better material, but i understand it's much heavier. i want to make good looking models, but with readi-board i think i'll be tearing my hair out.

anybody have success with "quality" foamboard? modify designs, or add more power, etc?

thanks.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
1) -> can you fly a plane well already and are just learning foam board building or are you building to also learn to fly?

I would stick with the dollar tree foamboard if your still learning to fly as, unless you have someone training you, your going to crash and being worried about a few minor marks on the surface isn't worth trying to redesign to account for heavier/different materials.

2) -> if you really want to get into high quality building, I would suggest balsa, hotwire cutting foam, and other techniques if the DTFB is giving you that much trouble.

3) -> I do find it odd that your having that much trouble with the DTFB, as long as I treat it correctly, I can be fairly rough with it and it comes out looking just fine. However I also don't get upset at small imperfections as I don't find it to be worth the trouble to be worried about them.

4) -> to your actual question, the flite test designs are based around a foamboard with a mass really close to DTFB, if you use something heavier, your going to have a hard time getting your CG correct (for example, your FT Simple Cub has way more foam behind the CG then in front... and some of it is far away), so if you put a big enough battery right in the nose to get your CG correct, your going to be much heavier the the design... and will have a much higher stall speed (so you will need to fly even faster).

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
i'm new to building planes from foamboard, and very much like the idea. i've begun to cut out an FT Simple Cub.

the dollar tree foam is fragile. it dents and creases when you look at it sideways. not fun to work with. i'm accustomed to making architectural models out of much better material, but i understand it's much heavier. i want to make good looking models, but with readi-board i think i'll be tearing my hair out.

anybody have success with "quality" foamboard? modify designs, or add more power, etc?

thanks.
I did a simple cub using HobbyLobby "quality" foam board. Came out real well but about twice the recommended weight. Still flew well if a little fast.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....i'm accustomed to making architectural models out of much better material, but i understand it's much heavier.....
You can build a plane, that will fly, out of heavier fb. They just will not fly as well as a plane made from the lighter fb. If you want to build a plane to admire when on the ground, then use better materials.

If you want to build a plane that flies great, then use DTFB (aka Adams fb) or Ross fb, from Walmart. When the plane is in the air, nobody will be able to see the imperfections you are considered about.

Your first “rough landing” will even dent the better materials.

Last edited:

Tarheel Dan

thanks for all the replies.

as i pilot, i'm a novice. i have an epo foam trainer (Flite-test Maule) for learning, and an excellent teacher.

i'm familiar with other building techniques. i built with balsa when i was a kid. maybe i'll go down that path one day.

my motivation is to make something as clean and beautiful as i can with this material, and building method. i was taken aback at the characteristics of the adams stuff.

i guess i'll be tearing out what little hair i have left.

danskis

Master member
As everyone else stated I'll say in a different way - architectural models don't have to fly. As you know, all materials have their limitations. I'll bet your architectural models look amazing though. I'd love to see one.

danskis

Master member
Have you seen the following threads? These guys have pushed the limits of Adams about as far as it will go. If you look carefully they are not perfect - each has its own imperfections. About the best you're going to get is "stand-off" scale with Adams. But even balsa and covering have their own limitations if you look objectively at those models. I had the same issue and then I started looking at pics of real warbirds - the real ones were a mess and its amazing they held together.

(17) Master Series Builds, Past Present and Future. | FliteTest Forum

or this one?

13TH SQUADRON - Home

or this one? (I believe he uses Depron or Model Plane Foam)

(3) My Homemade RC planes from 2014-2018 - YouTube

Tarheel Dan

Have you seen the following threads? These guys have pushed the limits of Adams about as far as it will go. If you look carefully they are not perfect - each has its own imperfections. About the best you're going to get is "stand-off" scale with Adams. But even balsa and covering have their own limitations if you look objectively at those models. I had the same issue and then I started looking at pics of real warbirds - the real ones were a mess and its amazing they held together.

(17) Master Series Builds, Past Present and Future. | FliteTest Forum

or this one?

13TH SQUADRON - Home

or this one? (I believe he uses Depron or Model Plane Foam)

(3) My Homemade RC planes from 2014-2018 - YouTube

Yes. I'm familiar with all three of those. they are what attracted me to this medium. I simply was surprised at the nature of the material, given my past experience.

as far as pictures of my past work goes, there are none. it was decades ago, when i was renovating my first house. they weren't works of art, just visualization tools.

Tench745

Master member
I find the Ross board from Wal-Mart is a good compromise. It is sturdier than the Dollar Tree stuff but not that much heavier. You can save some weight by peeling the paper off the inner surfaces. You can also save significant weight by using white Gorilla Glue (GG) instead of hot glue. I was able to build two Ft Mini Scouts which weighed exactly the same. One was made with DTFB and hot glue. The other was made with the Ross foam using the techniques above. It's a bit more work to keep it light when using the Ross board, but the surface finish is much nicer and the board is more durable.
Alternatively, you could go with FT's own brand foam board. I have no experience with it but it seems pretty sturdy.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Dearly Beloved One,

It is a great privilege and honor as you read this message, i don`t want you to feel sorry for me because i believe everyone will die someday, my name is Mariam Hana from USA, i am a merchant and a Cocoa Exporter from West African Country and North African Country to United State of America, i am 58 years old, I am suffering from a long time cancer of the breast which has affected my talking & hearing lately. The cancer has reached a critical stage, so my doctors have courageously advised me to indulge in Prayers as
well because it is clear that I would not live past the next two to three months. I was raised in an orphanage Home, and was married to my late husband for twenty years without a child.
My husband and I are true Christians so after his death I decided not to re-marry, he died in a fatal motor accident which I know is political motivated because of his venture in the new oil industry. I sold all my inherited belongings and deposited all the sum of (2. 8 million Dollars ) two million eight hundred thousand dollars with a Bank. Presently, the money is still with the bank, and I received a letter from the management of the holding bank as the real depositor urging me to come forward to receive the money after keeping it for such a long or rather issue a letter of approval or power of attorney to somebody to receive it on my behalf or the management will confiscate the funds.
I have decided to give alms to charity organizations, as I want this to be one of the last good deeds I do on earth so far, I have distributed money to some charity organizations in the U.A.E, India and Malaysia. Now that my health has deteriorated so badly, I cannot do this myself anymore. I once asked members of my family to close one of my accounts and distribute the money which I have there to charity organization in Bulgaria and India, they refused and kept the money
to themselves.

Hence, I do not trust them anymore,as they seem not to be contended with what I have left for them. The last of my money which no one knows of it is the huge cash deposit in a bank , Frankly, I cannot handle things on my self as a result of my illness; I'm with my laptop in a hospital where I have been undergoing treatment. I have since lost my ability to talk and my doctors have told me that I have only a few months to live. It is my last wish to see that this money is invested in any Charitable Organization of your choice as soon as I receive your reply I shall use the little money I have for my drugs and Medi-care to procure and issue you a letter of authority which will prove that you
are the new beneficiary of my funds and I shall release the contact of the Bank to you.

Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated herein. I hope to hear from you soonest if you are willing to handle this project.

Awaiting your urgent reply as soon as possible to my hospital private Email
mariammhana1961@gmail.com
Yours in pain
Mariam Hana.
This is tragic, we must do something! But what? I can't think of anything appropriate. Perhaps the forum administrators can think of something!