The Coffee Shop - For general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Y'all west coasters can take some of this smoke back any time now... bout had enough of smelling like a campfire...
20210726_200616.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Then how do I power the servos?
One of my favorite ways to do it on larger stuff, especially since they're mostly twin engine, is to run all the servos on the left side of the body on the left esc's bec and all the right, well, on the right. I run a 3rd bec for the receiver and sometimes a 4th or more for accessories like a flight controller. This helps keep one bec from killing all the servos if it fails...

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
One of my favorite ways to do it on larger stuff, especially since they're mostly twin engine, is to run all the servos on the left side of the body on the left esc's bec and all the right, well, on the right. I run a 3rd bec for the receiver and sometimes a 4th or more for accessories like a flight controller. This helps keep one bec from killing all the servos if it fails...
But how do you power specific servos off of one BEC? Do you plug the power wires of the servo into the BEC and then the signal into the receiver or something?

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I was looking back through stuff, I kind of want to make the plane off this to see if it’s feasible.
Oh, I think it's feasible. FT started the Shinden a few years back but never released it. See video here. If I remember correctly, they said they never could get it stable and get a consistent build for the kit. Community member Localfiend started messing with it (4 years ago!) and I think he got a relatively stable version. See some of his prototyping here. I made the skin from those plans. My hesitance in posting the skins for use is that neither of the folks (FT and Localfiend) that worked on it, have released it to the wild. At least not that I'm aware. Therefore I sit, wait, and hope that one day they....
1627395719625.png

Hondo76251

Legendary member
But how do you power specific servos off of one BEC? Do you plug the power wires of the servo into the BEC and then the signal into the receiver or something?
This is what i did on the wings for my bush plane:
20210727_080612.jpg 20210727_080626.jpg
I separate the signal wires and run them to the receiver and run the red and black wires to a separate BEC. In this case i put in a 4 wire plug so i didnt have to keep track of which wires were which every time and then ran all the (+)(-) into a JST since that's what came on that particular bec.

On this plane im just powering the tail feathers and the receiver from the ESC but i normally prefer to keep the reciever on its own power source in case the ESC craps out, that way you still have at least some flight controls in the event of failure.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Oh, I think it's feasible. FT started the Shinden a few years back but never released it. See video here. If I remember correctly, they said they never could get it stable and get a consistent build for the kit. Community member Localfiend started messing with it (4 years ago!) and I think he got a relatively stable version. See some of his prototyping here. I made the skin from those plans. My hesitance in posting the skins for use is that neither of the folks (FT and Localfiend) that worked on it, have released it to the wild. At least not that I'm aware. Therefore I sit, wait, and hope that one day they.... View attachment 204304
I might try, I doubt it would be good but maybe.....

Bricks

Master member
Then how do I power the servos?

Just as Ketchup said the Life battery plugs right into the + - of the receiver and provides the power to run anything plugged into the receiver. You would only have the yellow or white signal wire connected from the ESC for the motor control.

Battery800

Elite member
Just as Ketchup said the Life battery plugs right into the + - of the receiver and provides the power to run anything plugged into the receiver. You would only have the yellow or white signal wire connected from the ESC for the motor control.
So could I have a 2s lipo with a jst connected to the receiver, then not have a bec? It’s only going to be 2-4 5 gram servos and no motor

Status
Not open for further replies.