Military Retired, Looking to Relocate to NC or VA

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I was wondering if any in my FT family had firsthand knowledge of military benefits in North Carolina or Virginia.

I want to move to one of the 2 states as a new home but would like to narrow my search if possible. One way to narrow it is by the benefits of living in one state over the other. For example some states say military retirement might be taxed. If this (or some other consideration) is significant I would rather know about it now and figure it in to our decision than realize too late that we chose the lesser preferred.

If you are a veteran and live in NC or VA then please post here or PM me.

I already know that both states are significantly closer to Ohio (Flite Fest). That is already a noted benefit.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Having spent time in the Tidewater area (back in the 80's) i remember that military people in a lot of the areas were people to be prey'd upon.

Some businesses run by retired military were good to you. Others only wanted your money and would take advantage as much as possible.

Crime was higher and military families were targets specially one that had people on deployment.

This is common in any military town as you know.

Now the respect for those who serve (d) has changed since that era so it may be better now. My suggestion would be at least one full town between you and aby major bases or schools.

The Carolina's were better in that regard but then you get more into hurricane ally the further south you get. Give that possibility some thought when choosing where to go as well.

The Carolina coast is good if you plan on being a surfer dude in your old age :p too! Ya cant forget that ya know. Mind the sharks though. You cant fly if your extremities are missing.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thanks for the tips.

I'm looking for more of a rural area that falls within 30 minutes of some place my wife could shop.
Most of everything we've considered over half an hour away from the coast which generally helps for property taxes.
WIth my new employment in the USPS, work shouldn't be too difficult, just an office transfer to a place where there is an opening. They're all posted online now.

One main reason I brought this up was because online it says that VA taxes military retirement pay and NC partially does. I was wanting to see if I could determine how much this would affect me financially.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Call the prospective county you are looking at chamber of commerce and ask for a reccomendation who to ask in the local tax department?

They usually have people on hand to answer question people have who are looking to move to the area.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
For property taxes I think that makes sense but it's the income tax that I'm focusing on. I don't want to pay more than necessary and if staying on one side of the line will alleviate some tax burden then I am willing to do that.

Neither VA nor NC offer any benefits regarding retirement pay. However, I've settled in the northern VA area, well west of the DC metro area. You might consider the area near Winchester, VA (see the linked article).

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/retirement/T006-C000-S002-10-great-places-to-retire-in-2015.html

This area is close to all sorts of outdoor activities, such as camping/hiking, canoeing, etc. Plus, it's a relatively short drive into the DC area if you enjoy the metro scene and all the great museums DC has to offer. Winchester has plenty of shopping, too, as well as an excellent hospital. Additionally, the area has been building many satellite hospitals in the smaller surrounding towns.

There are also several military installations in the DC metro area that give you commissary and BX/PX access. As well as smaller ANG and Coast Guard facilities closer to Winchester and the WV panhandle that do ID card renewals.

Property taxes are reasonable, but certainly not the lowest you'll find; plus VA has a personal property tax on vehicles -- it's been greatly reduced over the last years, but is still a budgetary consideration.

I live near Front Royal, VA -- please PM me if you'd like additional info.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I was wondering if any in my FT family had firsthand knowledge of military benefits in North Carolina or Virginia.

I want to move to one of the 2 states as a new home but would like to narrow my search if possible. One way to narrow it is by the benefits of living in one state over the other. For example some states say military retirement might be taxed. If this (or some other consideration) is significant I would rather know about it now and figure it in to our decision than realize too late that we chose the lesser preferred.

I already know that both states are significantly closer to Ohio (Flite Fest). That is already a noted benefit.

https://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state

This looks like a good starting place. I would be inclined to examine the "1040" instructions for your target states.

Robert S

Are you retired military and you want to start your second career, or, are you "retired" retired.... ie. done working?

I'm a retired Marine and am now a Govt Civ and I've been a Govt contractor. The Stafford County and Fredericksburg, VA area has plenty of shopping and things to do. You can always drive north 30min and there are many more shopping opportunities. 45-60Min north and your in DC. 45-60Min south and your in Richmond. Plenty to do in both of those places.

If you are looking for a job, there is lots of Govt and Contractor jobs here. Lots of USMC and USA bases within an hours drive, and, of course there is always the Pentagon and the areas all around it.

trey

I retired and moved to NM. Looking forward to retiring again and moving to a state that is more retired military friendly. Texas, something east, wherever.

Robert S

VA doesn't have any particular advantages for the average retiree that I am aware of. Those with 100% disablity get some perks, like kids getting free in-state tuition at state schools, but besides things like that, the state does not have a whole lot of other military retired specific incentives.

It was always my intention to move back to TX and retire in, or around, Austin when I was ready to really retire. But my kids live here in Va, the sort of work I do is here and, my new wife is from here and she has no desire to leave.