Votes: 1 3.8%
  • January 1st

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • EXTENSION

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

quorneng

Master member
A perfectly calm evening today so I rushed to get the Super Cub into the air again.
Battery only about 80% charged but had to use that as it looked like it might rain.
The flight was 13 minutes mainly cruising about at low power until the clouds started to look a bit menacing so I stopped cruising and did some aerobatics.
A short edited video of some of the flight that gives an idea of what transpired.
Best to watch it in full screen as the plane is at times quite small.
The grass is still too long!

cyclone3350

Master member
A perfectly calm evening today so I rushed to get the Super Cub into the air again.
Battery only about 80% charged but had to use that as it looked like it might rain.
The flight was 13 minutes mainly cruising about at low power until the clouds started to look a bit menacing so I stopped cruising and did some aerobatics.
A short edited video of some of the flight that gives an idea of what transpired.
Best to watch it in full screen as the plane is at times quite small.
The grass is still too long!

Scale like slow flight. Now that is how a Cub is supposed to look. (y)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Interestingly, there was a guy at the field last week that built a balsa Cub based on the FT Cub. He likes how much lighter the balsa version is. I had to take a triple take because when I first saw it I thought it was an FT Cub and then he explained why.

quorneng

Master member
It has been pointed out to me that it is wrong to call it a 'falling leaf' as that is a specific aerobatic repeated stall oscillation manoeuvre that does not involve any rotation.
I suppose full aileron and up elevator is the normal 'spin' input although with the rapidity and the flying speed it has as it comes out I am not sure the wing is really stalled. so maybe 'Spinning leaf' might be a better description. :)

Tench745

Master member
It has been pointed out to me that it is wrong to call it a 'falling leaf' as that is a specific aerobatic repeated stall oscillation manoeuvre that does not involve any rotation.
I suppose full aileron and up elevator is the normal 'spin' input although with the rapidity and the flying speed it has as it comes out I am not sure the wing is really stalled. so maybe 'Spinning leaf' might be a better description. :)

That's definitely a spin. A 10 turn spin looks pretty cool though. :D

cyclone3350

Master member
Some more slow progress. Some dry fitting and final painting of of the parts done. Seat belts and control sticks to go.

IMG_4925.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4927.JPG
    IMG_4927.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4933.JPG
    IMG_4933.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0

Bo123

Elite member
I am alive people. I have been working on the cub today (In a new workshop). I have landing gear and Motor. I sent it for an uncontrolled hop, and it flew great at really slow speeds, until I ran out of space, and cut the motor. Because I had no elevator, it nose dived. I am having to rebuild the nose now, but it will be more scale. All I need to do now it the control surfaces.

Cub.jpg

Taildragger

Legendary member
I need to step in and say I am alive as well. I haven't been working on my cub as I went to reno and fell behind in schoolwork. I should be able to start back up again next week. Great job to everyone who is building theirs! I can't wait to see all the cubs that come out of this.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Ok, I shall take it for a test hop in the backyard (Yes I have a large backyard), with control surfaces this time. I only need to hook up the rudder. I think The final wheels I shall use on this are these 76mm (3inch (Also who made the imperial system?)) rubber tires from hobby king.
View attachment 208187
U know, right... Metric is soo much easier to use than imperial...
In metric there are 1000m in a km..
In imperial I think there are 1865yards per mile.. or something like that