ROCKETS!!! Aren't they just planes, minus the, well, not fuselage?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
This thread is for all of the geeks in the forums who enjoy rockets. I find that looking at how rockets are designed (since they often are making every pound count) can help with designing aircraft, whether it be for strength, lightness, or for fun :) For example, the Saturn V was had to use a common bulkhead in its second stage for the Hydrogen and Oxygen fuel Tanks (it may have been RP1 actually, so don't quote me on that). That idea made me realize that when making seoerat compartments on my giant scale scratch build, in order to save weight, for the foremost former I could make one of the rectangular extensions fully hollow with no covers (sorry, I know that those two are barely related, but it did help me in design) Also, I have always had a dream of strapping some large estes rocket missiles capped with fireworks or small black powder charges onto some rc planes and doing combat. For obvious reasons, that will likelu always remain just a dream. I have a simmilar dream to put a big sugar rocket on the back of an rc ME-163. I went a little off track just then, but this is the thread for any rc/airplane/foam board related rockets, or just fun facts 🚀

This thread is for all of the geeks in the forums who enjoy rockets. I find that looking at how rockets are designed (since they often are making every pound count) can help with designing aircraft, whether it be for strength, lightness, or for fun :) For example, the Saturn V was had to use a common bulkhead in its second stage for the Hydrogen and Oxygen fuel Tanks (it may have been RP1 actually, so don't quote me on that). That idea made me realize that when making seoerat compartments on my giant scale scratch build, in order to save weight, for the foremost former I could make one of the rectangular extensions fully hollow with no covers (sorry, I know that those two are barely related, but it did help me in design) Also, I have always had a dream of strapping some large estes rocket missiles capped with fireworks or small black powder charges onto some rc planes and doing combat. For obvious reasons, that will likelu always remain just a dream. I have a simmilar dream to put a big sugar rocket on the back of an rc ME-163. I went a little off track just then, but this is the thread for any rc/airplane/foam board related rockets, or just fun facts 🚀

You should try building a rocket with a TVC mount and program it to do cool things, I suggest going over to bps.space and looking at some of his projects, they are all pretty cool and I would like to do some of these too. You can always start with model rockets, I have a few they are pretty inexpensive and fun to fly, just make sure you fly them in the right place and have the required things. If you want we could talk about some liquid propellants that could be used in a model scale and work well too (not too safe) But yeah I love rockets and they are fun to talk about.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Soon
1602127567157.jpg

L Edge

Master member
I designed and dropped a shuttle from a transport and that was fun.

Next project was going to put together a Bell-X1 where the goal was to release it from the transport, let it fly down and as it came across the field, pull it slight up and fire the Estes rocket to soar up and land it.

Designed and built my X-1 and used a D12-0 rocket(ended up as the same weight as a rocket designed for D12) and using the altitude chart, it should go up about 400ft. Used one cell of my 3 cell lipo and a servo arm movement to ignite it.

Here is the video of test fire. Notice I was nervous in video and kept moving backwards since no one else was around and if you have fired rockets, if not balanced, do crazy things.

Notice I got to move ailerons and elevator small amounts after takeoff for control. Having a high wing loading, you can see the flight down was high speed and fast. Fired it 5 more times and did slight nose damage. Still have it. Would need to totally re-design, so I ended the project.

That's why I enjoy foam projects.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
65160582467__A01880C1-D0F1-47D8-A692-8809B38F988F.JPG

Found it in my boneyard. If you do use rockets, isolate rocket from foam, otherwise it will melt. Don't use rockets that have charge to blow out parachutes.

EAS

This is how I did mine.....the one in the photo is what's left of my product line after setting around for a LONG time. I advertised in what used to be "Model Builder Magazine" and sold these world wide.....for a while, but couldn't really put the cash together for mass production, without loosing most of the profit. So I shelved it in 1995. This one sold for $29.95 ($4 in parts at the time, not including the rocket motor)....mostly in Japan, Germany, England and the US. I had one 5 times bigger ready to go, when I stopped.

With the Estes D12-3 it hit 300 ft. in under 1.5 seconds and then you'd get to chase it a quarter mile or more depending on the wind. I flew the prototype 72 times without any error or mishap. It was a blast. It would rotate upside down and let go of the glider (just like the space shuttle) as the parachute blew out, then it would right itself and glide perfectly stable. My company was named, the "Aeroblast Kit Company".

xc100.jpg

Last edited: