Solved Brushed motor problem

Hi there, I'm working on an rc tank and i know this is a flight forum but i still think you guys can help. I have a 10 amp esc for each motor wich is connected to my receiver, the esc's have LEDs in them so i know those are not the problem. For some reason the motors don't work, any suggestions?
IMG-1119.jpg

quorneng

Master member
There will be a small lead (black and white?) from the ESC that plugs into the receiver so it can tell the ESCs what to do.
If the ESC has a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) the small lead will include a third +5V red? wire to power the receiver.
If the ESC has no BEC the receiver will require its own 5V battery supply.
You circuit should look something like this.
http://openpanzer.org/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=wiki:tcb_escs_power.jpg
What voltage is the battery? If it is over 6V and is directly connected to the receiver it might have already destroyed it.

There will be a small lead (black and white?) from the ESC that plugs into the receiver so it can tell the ESCs what to do.
If the ESC has a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) the small lead will include a third +5V red? wire to power the receiver.
If the ESC has no BEC the receiver will require its own 5V battery supply.
You circuit should look something like this.
http://openpanzer.org/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=wiki:tcb_escs_power.jpg
What voltage is the battery? If it is over 6V and is directly connected to the receiver it might have already destroyed it.
I have it ste up so that the battery (6V) is directly into the receiver and the esc's take power from the receiver (my receiver is able to take a maximum of 6.5V so i should be fine)

Bifi.baarlo

Aren't there more connectors? Or solder joints? The ESC's must be connected to the battery, if they have a BEC, than one of the ESC's provides 5V to the receiver (disconnect the red wire of one of the ESC's).

Aren't there more connectors? Or solder joints? The ESC's must be connected to the battery, if they have a BEC, than one of the ESC's provides 5V to the receiver (disconnect the red wire of one of the ESC's).
I'll try soldering the battery directly to the esc tomorrow and i'll update then

Bifi.baarlo

Are there two solder joints you forgot? Maybe it is better if you upload some pictures first, the ESC's should have 7 connections with BEC, 6 connections without BEC . Two motor outputs, + , - , signal, 5V and another ground.

I desoldert the motors to check if the wiring is wrong but here's the esc (the loose wires are the motor leads

Attachments

• IMG-1121.jpg
    IMG-1121.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Bifi.baarlo

The red connector must be connected to the battery, the 3 pin to the receiver, but remove the red wire from one of the ESC's, the red and black to the motor, but I can't see if the ESC's have a BEC, maybe you can check the manual for that?

quorneng

Master member
The motors cannot take their power through the receiver via the ESC. The amps would likely melt something in the receiver.
Use the BEC to power the receiver as it has some safety features that will protect the receiver.
Is that an 'off' switch on the ESC? Is so that has to be "on" before anything can happen.
As another safety feature the ESC will do nothing until it is receiving the appropriate 'idle' (throttle at minimum) signal from the receiver via the white and black wires. It will then make the motor emit one or more 'beeps' to let you know it is 'armed' and that moving the throttle will make the motor run.

leaded50

Legendary member
i suppose this ESC is for brushed motors, since not three wires to motor. It goes 3 wires to the reciver connector though(black one) that gives it is a BEC version.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Im going to go out on a limb and say you may have fried the receiver. Most receivers work on 4.5 v so depending on what you have it may have popped something and you have an open on the power rail.

The motors cannot take their power through the receiver via the ESC. The amps would likely melt something in the receiver.
Use the BEC to power the receiver as it has some safety features that will protect the receiver.
Is that an 'off' switch on the ESC? Is so that has to be "on" before anything can happen.
As another safety feature the ESC will do nothing until it is receiving the appropriate 'idle' (throttle at minimum) signal from the receiver via the white and black wires. It will then make the motor emit one or more 'beeps' to let you know it is 'armed' and that moving the throttle will make the motor run.
I connected the battery to the escs and now everything works. thanks for the help