RadioMaster TX12 vs Jumper T12

Marzipan

does anyone here have experience with both?

I've got hands on the small side, so the smaller size is an attractive feature. I know the TX12 is a 'lite' version of the multi-protocol chip, but that is reflected in it's lower price. I am honestly more interested in the T12, but it seems to be unobtaniium...nobody has Jumper stock of anything up here in Canuckistan and all the online stores like Banggood / AliExpress don't have it listed at all. I found a few on Ebay, but the asking price is much higher than I think it should be, as it often is on Ebay. :p

there is also the T-Lite and I'm definitely interested in it, but I'm thinking I'd like to get a transmitter that fits the standard formfactor first as if I am ever given the chance to fly others aircraft, that's likely what they will have.

and a question about FrSky Taranis boxes. Running OpenTX as the OS does not always mean you are multi-protocol? I see many of the Taranis models have OpenTX but don't speak of multi-protocol support. I'm still learning the terminology, but it seems they refer to protocols that are FrSky products?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
OpenTx is the firmware for the radio, it can talk to multiple different radio modules. So it can be used when connected to a 1 protocol radio module.

Unlikely anyone other then reviewers are going to have both (as to your initial question)

Marzipan

Unlikely anyone other then reviewers are going to have both (as to your initial question)

and it's interesting how very little there is about the two against each other. some mega threads on RCGroups about them, which I've gone though on a couple...but not much comment on a vs. between the two aside from the TX12 being light on the multi-protocol support vs. the full flavor on the T12.

can the TX12 have it's gimbals upgraded to Hall Effect units?

Bricks

Master member
and it's interesting how very little there is about the two against each other. some mega threads on RCGroups about them, which I've gone though on a couple...but not much comment on a vs. between the two aside from the TX12 being light on the multi-protocol support vs. the full flavor on the T12.

can the TX12 have it's gimbals upgraded to Hall Effect units?

Being a newbie you will not notice much difference in the gimbals unless a really cheap radio. My Radiomaster TS16s has hall gimbals and my Spektrum DX9 does not and I do not notice a difference in the gimbals. Bad thing about hall sensor gimbals is they need to be recalibrated as temperature effects them where standard gimbals once calibrated will not change. I have had my TXs6S for just over a year and have had to recalibrate them several times due to temperature changes. Calibrating is an easy thing to do only takes a couple of minutes.

When talking about FlySky are you talking new as they have gone to a proprietary protocol as in there new receivers will only work with the new radios. They did not make them backwards compatible so any of the old FlySky receivers will not work Many jumped ship from Frysky when they did this just for this reason.

Last edited:

Marzipan

I bought the TX12 off Banggood, but I'm concerned they sent me a used device. there is no seal sticker on the box and no protective film over the LCD cover and the LCD cover has finger print smears and scratches all over it. the case appears unmarked, but there are some sort of particle debris all over it. most came off with a few puffs but some stuck.

edit - attached picture
20211208_150702.jpg

Last edited:

Marzipan

By looking at your picture it sure looks like there is a plastic layer over the display, I have not even removed the one from my Radiomaster TX16s yet.

yeh, not my first rodeo so that was my first thought, but it doesn't appear to be so. :p

I guess I could try a hair dryer or heat gun and see if a protective film wrinkles.

edit - I emailed RM and asked if we can get replacement covers.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
yeh, not my first rodeo so that was my first thought, but it doesn't appear to be so. :p

I guess I could try a hair dryer or heat gun and see if a protective film wrinkles.

edit - I emailed RM and asked if we can get replacement covers.

Unless that screen is actually broken you can see the bubbles from the plastic cover, my TX16s came with an extra screen protector in the box.

Marzipan

all my TX12 came with was the tx itself, the manual and a lil bag with antenna and USB cable.

TX12 is not as premium as the TX16...cost me $120 CAD whereas the basic TX16s is about $100 higher and then the color and color w/touch being upwards $250 - $400.

Bricks

Master member
all my TX12 came with was the tx itself, the manual and a lil bag with antenna and USB cable.

TX12 is not as premium as the TX16...cost me $120 CAD whereas the basic TX16s is about $100 higher and then the color and color w/touch being upwards $250 - $400.

Ah you got a manual I never did, does not really matter with all the websites and OTX.