Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Finally got the polaris dolled up a bit after some fixes and tuning. She flies great. Cant wait for a calm day to try some water takeoffs and landing. Or some snow! Whichever comes first.
View attachment 210009

The next project is going to be a umx f117 nighthawk mostly to learn the build style As a precursor to my next real goal. The f117x/n seahawk. an aircraft carrier based actual dogfighting capable stealth fighter. It was basically canned in favor of newer tech the f22 yf23 but its sexy as hell and I want one. Lucky timing, the local dollar store had a new shipment of black foam. Better get busy!
View attachment 210010
For a long time I've been thinking about building something to fly off of snow. Seeing your Polaris is prompting me to maybe start drawing something up. (y)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just curious. I understood UMX to be an ultra-micro series of models from E-Flite, but is that a generic class of DTFB or any-mat'l model? What parts or specs makes UMX? Weight, dimensions, electronics? What does that acronym even mean?
I made a 2.5oz balsa Sinbad junior for 1S battery with a "brick" (RX/ESC/servos), which I think are found in UMX planes, so does that make it a UMX?
But of course, anybody can use acronyms as they see fit. 😀
“UMX” was the term coined by Eflite for their micro line up and stands for “Ultra Micro eXtreme”. It’s kind of like calling a community designed foamboard plane a flitetest plane, people do it all the time even if it’s not technically a model from flitetest themselves.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Details soon posted in my DGA-6 build thread
IMG_20211018_132214_232.jpg

IMG_20211018_132244_669.jpg

IMG_20211018_132257_816.jpg

Hoomi

Master member
Just curious. I understood UMX to be an ultra-micro series of models from E-Flite, but is that a generic class of DTFB or any-mat'l model? What parts or specs makes UMX? Weight, dimensions, electronics? What does that acronym even mean?
I made a 2.5oz balsa Sinbad junior for 1S battery with a "brick" (RX/ESC/servos), which I think are found in UMX planes, so does that make it a UMX?
I think you may have intended to address that question to Jade Monkey. I'm not sure I have any planes that qualify as ultra-micro.

Jade_Monkey07

“UMX” was the term coined by Eflite for their micro line up and stands for “Ultra Micro eXtreme”. It’s kind of like calling a community designed foamboard plane a flitetest plane, people do it all the time even if it’s not technically a model from flitetest themselves.
Yeah I was using it as a generic term. All the planes I build are about the same size as those.
If you say "mini" people may think the mighty mini series from FT and that's a fair bit bigger than these. Minis, micros, nanos? I dont really kno what category mine fall into. 25-150 grams 8-20 in, 1-3s.

All I know is that airplanes are cool

Jade_Monkey07

For a long time I've been thinking about building something to fly off of snow. Seeing your Polaris is prompting me to maybe start drawing something up. (y)
It flew great off the grass too. Cant wait for some fresh powder to try it on though, nice crisp calm morning with fresh snow. Iv also always wanted to do a snow speeder build like ft does. Maybe I will this year

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yeah I was using it as a generic term. All the planes I build are about the same size as those.
If you say "mini" people may think the mighty mini series from FT and that's a fair bit bigger than these. Minis, micros, nanos? I dont really kno what category mine fall into. 25-150 grams 8-20 in, 1-3s.

All I know is that airplanes are cool
Yeah, for sure!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Managed to fit the two main wheels on the Sea Otter today. I wanted a detachable wheel option, just in case I ever fly it as a water plane in the future. So drilled a hole in the hull directly below the CG mark on the wing, I inserted a drinking straw through the holes and glued it in place, externally and internally (to seal against water leaks). I then placed a carbon fiber shaft through the straw as an axle, placed some spacers between the fuselage/hull and the wheels then used collets to secure the wheels.
I can easily remove the wheel assembly, plug the ends of the straws (not necessary just cosmetic) and she is a sea plane again.
I still need to set up a front nose wheel, that's the next job (it also needs to be detachable). As the project is not finished, I have no photo's yet.
The Rudder appears quite effective for directional corrections on the ground, so the nose wheel doesn't need to be steerable. Once the plane gathers some initial momentum, the front will lift off the ground anyway. So the front wheel will be pretty ineffective anyway for steering.
I will keep you posted and will supply photos later, incase anyone else fancies doing the same modifications to their Sea Otter. That way if you are land locked, you can still build and fly this model (y);)

shadeyB

Legendary member
where are plans?
choose from over 40+ jets with more in design and going through test stages. Most for less than $5
choose to add to your build with 3D parts if you wish but all are designed and made without. Fantastic Clear canopies for sale also
https://jetworks.online/product/gripen-plans/
a 8DB753B7-C51E-4340-BFC0-D3DA8905CEA9.jpeg a very comprehensive step be step guide is there for everyone to see and use

Attachments

• C5996753-AD3E-4606-8E0E-CBEA3FA064DA.jpeg
    C5996753-AD3E-4606-8E0E-CBEA3FA064DA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • B8DA2EB2-4D80-457F-9350-C6970E8802C4.jpeg
    B8DA2EB2-4D80-457F-9350-C6970E8802C4.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 04999372-2053-4D19-A0E1-38ECDDC73D43.jpeg
    04999372-2053-4D19-A0E1-38ECDDC73D43.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 8323F933-4540-4ECA-AAD2-4DD5CE36E572.jpeg
    8323F933-4540-4ECA-AAD2-4DD5CE36E572.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 55122440-8E1B-4160-AE1F-726AE67B315E.jpeg
    55122440-8E1B-4160-AE1F-726AE67B315E.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • E083DC0D-8636-4682-B46E-46A9245EB55E.jpeg
    E083DC0D-8636-4682-B46E-46A9245EB55E.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
choose from over 40+ jets with more in design and going through test stages. Most for less than $5
choose to add to your build with 3D parts if you wish but all are designed and made without. Fantastic Clear canopies for sale also
https://jetworks.online/product/gripen-plans/
a View attachment 210162 a very comprehensive step be step guide is there for everyone to see and use
Nice! Sad they never got the factory seam tolerances right on the skins of those F-14s. I can see shadow lines from here. :(