what do you use for skid plates to save from landing damage?

Marzipan

in most of the FT videos, they are always talking about using some tape to reinforce or protect superstructure. that's cheap and effective for a lot of stuff, but I find it questionable for use as a skid plate. sure, it's better than nothing, but wouldn't a custom cut piece of lightweight cutting board not be a lot better? it's not going to be shredded up by a couple of dirt landings like packing tape would. it is heavier, but a piece the size we're talking about is still very light and no doubt there are ways to minimize any drag the edges could cause.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
in most of the FT videos, they are always talking about using some tape to reinforce or protect superstructure. that's cheap and effective for a lot of stuff, but I find it questionable for use as a skid plate. sure, it's better than nothing, but wouldn't a custom cut piece of lightweight cutting board not be a lot better? it's not going to be shredded up by a couple of dirt landings like packing tape would. it is heavier, but a piece the size we're talking about is still very light and no doubt there are ways to minimize any drag the edges could cause.
I use 1.5mm aluminium sheets... Works very well.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Another thing to look at that is semi free is the plastic containers fresh fruit comes in. The clear flat sections can be easily cut to shape and they also make great plane windscreens and windows. They also form easy enough using a simple hair dryer.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I think in a past FT vid they said something about using plastic folders (the kind that people use for school and stuff). They can be very cheap especially around back to school time, and they should hold up ok.
I think that the packing tape trick is for grass mostly. The belly landers are more made for grass fields where you will have a softer surface for taking off and landing.

Marzipan

I think in a past FT vid they said something about using plastic folders (the kind that people use for school and stuff). They can be very cheap especially around back to school time, and they should hold up ok.
I think that the packing tape trick is for grass mostly. The belly landers are more made for grass fields where you will have a softer surface for taking off and landing.

yeh, those cheap plastic folders are made out of the exact same stuff as plastic cutting boards, only it's thinner. I'll have to see if that makes them cheaper to boot!

randyrls

Randy
I have used strapping tape with fiberglass reinforcement. I cover the entire nose and bottom of the explorer with it and wrap the edges, make relief cuts and it goes about 3/4" up the side.