Help! Looking to build a largish drone for security purposes

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I was going to suggest the same, a used phantom is the only chance you have of staying on budget while maintaining mission capability.
i guess but just for comparison a Phantom new here is R100,000 and $500 is R7,500.......... a bit a tremendous difference:ROFLMAO:.
i will look for seconds hand drones, as that could certainly be a cheaper way to get the frame and electronics

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
something to consider for sure.. btw i wasn't planning to shoot at them.. if i spotted them i would call the armed response and they would be here in 7min....
the actual chance that they are armed is about 1/100 but it is that 1% chance that we don't like taking...

so just a question... if for now we ignored the video platform.. the price for just the drone's parts and electronics... would it fit under $500?

if your not going to use a video platform for it, just get yourself a good set of binoculars as that will let you see better then the drone with no video will.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
if your not going to use a video platform for it, just get yourself a good set of binoculars as that will let you see better then the drone with no video will.
DSC_0770.JPG

Not to sure how well a pair of binoculars will work:cautious:

JasonK

Not to sure how well a pair of binoculars will work:cautious:

ranked order for seeing better:
- binoculars
- your naked eyes [better then with the drone w/o camera as no distraction of flying said drone]
- drone with no camera (so you using your eyes from where your standing)

I would argue that the binoculars are going to be at worst the same as the drone with no camera and should be better.

ranked costs:
- drone with no camera
- binoculars
- nothing

which to me puts binoculars or nothing at the top of the cost/benefit equation.

My point is that the drone is basically useless for spotting intruders with out the camera/video link as that is all it is really doing, letting you see from a different vantage point, if it doesn't give you that, it gives you nothing to help spot people.

JasonK

Yes👍👍
then you should say that... also, if you can't afford the camera _now_ I would suggest waiting until you can afford the whole thing. (unless your expecting inflation to hit hard and trying to get parts before that happens). tech in drones is still moving rather quickly [at least to an extent] and what is valid parts today are less likely to be useful in 3-5 year if usable at all [like that one FC board you found]).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
something to consider for sure.. btw i wasn't planning to shoot at them.. if i spotted them i would call the armed response and they would be here in 7min....
the actual chance that they are armed is about 1/100 but it is that 1% chance that we don't like taking...

so just a question... if for now we ignored the video platform.. the price for just the drone's parts and electronics... would it fit under $500?

I didn't mean YOU shooting them from the aircraft.. them shooting you down as a deterrent. Which is a risk you will take with anything you fly in proximity of evil doers.

As far as a build without the video gear... doesn't that defeat your entire need, want, or desire to build the platform?