FTCA & FT Value

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
edit - dropping out of this pissing match, I have better things to do with my life.

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Just in case FT reads this talk about selling plans, I would be more likely to buy printed plans over digital. Open the tube, lay the plans on the FB and get started .
I completely agree.

I hope that your respectful request would have more impact than some of the accusatory and sometimes angry "helpful suggestions" that have oddly made their way from FaceBook to this otherwise tranquil online oasis. (What is this "FaceBook" everyone is leaving these days? /sarc)

SSgt Duramax

Here is kind of how I feel about the issue.

1. There are plenty of plans out there, you don't need these. Why do we just have to have the newest plans from flite test?

2. What is it with the Tutor? I have a theory. The community is hyped about it, and everyone wants to do the build together and compare tutors. However, some feel like they are being left out of the community... is that it? I personally built a micro plane that is super easy to fly and build based off a community members plans, I can't imagine another high wing plane flying that much better.

3. I don't think bothering FTCA/Flitetest about the plans and berating them is a solution for anything. Would I like to see them make the most basic plans free (like the tutor) and some of the more complex niche plans member perks (like the trojan,p40 or flerken) for aircrew? Sure, I think that would be neat, but I don't run things. I do know that this incessant bickering is more likely to screw it up for EVERYONE and ruin free plans for the members of FTCA and non members.

4. Does it create a divide between club members and non club members? Sure. I don't see any non FTCA members complaining they won't have access to the insurance when it comes on line though. So a divide, unintended by @FTCA Director and the gang (and I certainly don't believe they had any malintent or intended for this to happen or drive a wedge in the community) small as it may be exists. Now, what is making it bigger? Oh, yes, parties on both sides tearing each other apart over this, which brings me to my next point.

5. So we have club members and long time community members who resort to name calling and berating people when they don't agree with every single point they make, or don't believe the same things they believe. If you don't buy in to the program, and the whole program, for the reasons that they see as appropriate, you are wrong. Sounds like a bunch of whiny snowflakes. Then you have people who think that all of the plans are an entitlement and they should get them for free, who also sound like a bunch of whiny snowflakes.

So at the end of the day flite test can choose what to do or not to do with their IP, and they can choose to provide or not provide this property to members of FTCA as a perk. Do I wish I could buy a nice set of templates printed on thing plastic stencil material? Sure do. Do I eye roll a little when I watch an old video and they say the plans will always be free? Sure, I empathize there. Do I think we should be arguing over this, name calling, and drawing lines in the sand? No. So I think both sides are kind of wrong, and if you don't like it, fill out one of these, and then submit it to me. After I get a brief laugh from it, I will safely store it in file 13.

7ky7DWf.png

Last edited:

alan0043

Just in case FT reads this talk about selling plans, I would be more likely to buy printed plans over digital. Open the tube, lay the plans on the FB and get started .

Hey Mac,

Remember this is just a rumor. Earlier this fall when I was at Edgewater trying to learn to fly :D :ROFLMAO: I was talking to one of the Flite Test crew and the subject came up about printed plans. Here is the rumor. Flite Test is kicking the idea around about selling plans. I don't know if there has been any more discussion about selling plans among the Flite Test crew. One of the ideas was to put the plans into a tube another idea was to have the plans folded up into flat envelope.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator

1. There are plenty of plans out there, you don't need these. Why do we just have to have the newest plans from flite test?

2. What is it with the Tutor? I have a theory. The community is hyped about it, and everyone wants to do the build together and compare tutors. However, some feel like they are being left out of the community... is that it? I personally built a micro plane that is super easy to fly and build based off a community members plans, I can't imagine another high wing plane flying that much better.

3. I don't think bothering FTCA/Flitetest about the plans and berating them is a solution for anything. Would I like to see them make the most basic plans free (like the tutor) and some of the more complex niche plans member perks (like the trojan,p40 or flerken) for aircrew? Sure, I think that would be neat, but I don't run things. I do know that this incessant bickering is more likely to screw it up for EVERYONE and ruin free plans for the members of FTCA and non members.

4. Does it create a divide between club members and non club members? Sure. I don't see any non FTCA members complaining they won't have access to the insurance when it comes on line though. So a divide, unintended by @FTCA Director and the gang (and I certainly don't believe they had any malintent or intended for this to happen or drive a wedge in the community) small as it may be exists. Now, what is making it bigger? Oh, yes, parties on both sides tearing each other apart over this, which brings me to my next point.

5. So we have club members and long time community members who resort to name calling and berating people when they don't agree with every single point they make, or don't believe the same things they believe. If you don't buy in to the program, and the whole program, for the reasons that they see as appropriate, you are wrong. Sounds like a bunch of whiny liberals. Then you have people who think that all of the plans are an entitlement and they should get them for free, who also sound like a bunch of whiny liberals.

So at the end of the day flite test can choose what to do or not to do with their IP, and they can choose to provide or not provide this property to members of FTCA as a perk. Do I wish I could buy a nice set of templates printed on thing plastic stencil material? Sure do. Do I eye roll a little when I watch an old video and they say the plans will always be free? Sure, I empathize there. Do I think we should be arguing over this, name calling, and drawing lines in the sand? No. So I think both sides are kind of wrong, and if you don't like it, fill out one of these, and then submit it to me. After I get a brief laugh from it, I will safely store it in file 13.

7ky7DWf.png
I'm shocked that we didn't have that form in the Army. It would have come in handy. Though they might have it now since we never had a say in what shots or vaccinations we got either. (Just a little more gasoline for the fire)

I'm shocked that we didn't have that form in the Army. It would have come in handy. Though they might have it now since we never had a say in what shots or vaccinations we got either. (Just a little more gasoline for the fire)
You guys might know better than I - or at least have stronger opinions - but I don't believe our armed forces are a democracy. If they decide to shoot you all with chemicals in your arm to make you ubersoldiers, yes you did sign up for that. I'm not suggesting right or wrong. When they tell you to storm the gate, your job is to storm the gate, even though you're certain you'll get shot down long before you reach it. When they tell you to stand still while I shoot this into your arm, you do it. I think the only trouble they had with the virus thing is that it remained an elective. It was never an order, was it? And then everybody whined that our Marines aren't vaccinated. I served too.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Hey Mac,

Remember this is just a rumor. Earlier this fall when I was at Edgewater trying to learn to fly :D:ROFLMAO: I was talking to one of the Flite Test crew and the subject came up about printed plans. Here is the rumor. Flite Test is kicking the idea around about selling plans. I don't know if there has been any more discussion about selling plans among the Flite Test crew. One of the ideas was to put the plans into a tube another idea was to have the plans folded up into flat envelope.
It's not a rumor. It was mentioned during one of the podcasts.

SSgt Duramax

I think there is an Army version floating around too. Just google the hurt feelings report and I believe there is the Army counterpart.

You guys might know better than I - or at least have stronger opinions - but I don't believe our armed forces are a democracy. If they decide to shoot you all with chemicals in your arm to make you ubersoldiers, yes you did sign up for that. I'm not suggesting right or wrong. When they tell you to storm the gate, your job is to storm the gate, even though you're certain you'll get shot down long before you reach it. When they tell you to stand still while I shoot this into your arm, you do it. I think the only trouble they had with the virus thing is that it remained an elective. It was never an order, was it? And then everybody whined that our Marines aren't vaccinated. I served too.

I actually just got done telling my students about how this isn't a democracy and I am in charge.

You can get a religious exemption for the vaccines, but it is pretty hard to get I think. I have had way worse ones than the covid one. But yes, they made it mandatory. Basically your squadron commander officially orders you in writing to get it (and they got the order to order it from the wing commander, crap rolls down hill), then if you don't get it, you are in violation of article 92 of the UCMJ "Failure to Obey and Order" which is kind of a catch all. So that is how you hear people getting less than honorable discharges for refusing to get the vaccine. They aren't getting in trouble for not getting it, they are getting in trouble for disobeying an order. I am sure they did BS like that when you were in too. Such is life. Two years until retirement.

I am not sure to what effect vaccinating some of the healthiest 18-45 year olds in our population had on public health, but it sure did make the politicians feel good about themselves.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I think there is an Army version floating around too. Just google the hurt feelings report and I believe there is the Army counterpart.

I actually just got done telling my students about how this isn't a democracy and I am in charge.

You can get a religious exemption for the vaccines, but it is pretty hard to get I think. I have had way worse ones than the covid one. But yes, they made it mandatory. Basically your squadron commander officially orders you in writing to get it (and they got the order to order it from the wing commander, crap rolls down hill), then if you don't get it, you are in violation of article 92 of the UCMJ "Failure to Obey and Order" which is kind of a catch all. So that is how you hear people getting less than honorable discharges for refusing to get the vaccine. They aren't getting in trouble for not getting it, they are getting in trouble for disobeying an order. I am sure they did BS like that when you were in too. Such is life. Two years until retirement.

I am not sure to what effect vaccinating some of the healthiest 18-45 year olds in our population had on public health, but it sure did make the politicians feel good about themselves.
I probably needed to be clearer. With all the news about troops deciding not to get vaccinated my brother, my wife and I (all of us veterans) could not remember a time that any of us 1) had a choice or 2) even knew what we were getting. You formed up single file and walked down the line of medics.

And we didn't have any FTFB planes!! (back on topic)

SSgt Duramax

I probably needed to be clearer. With all the news about troops deciding not to get vaccinated my brother, my wife and I (all of us veterans) could not remember a time that any of us 1) had a choice or 2) even knew what we were getting. You formed up single file and walked down the line of medics.

And we didn't have any FTFB planes!! (back on topic)
Dont get me started... but yes, about those planes.

jfaleo1

5. So we have club members and long time community members who resort to name calling and berating people when they don't agree with every single point they make, or don't believe the same things they believe. If you don't buy in to the program, and the whole program, for the reasons that they see as appropriate, you are wrong. Sounds like a bunch of whiny liberals. Then you have people who think that all of the plans are an entitlement and they should get them for free, who also sound like a bunch of whiny liberals.

7ky7DWf.png
FYI I am a liberal, I don't feel entitled, I am trying to help with ideas for healing and income stream for a non-profit, and Im out I took it direct. also not offended by the form its funny, nor by the liberal comment, i'm proud of it.

M

MCNC

It is unfortunate that comments include political sarcasm when we all know there is no reason for it in toy airplane discussions . Not sure why some insist on adding political jabs to their otherwise meaningful comments and help.

SSgt Duramax

It is unfortunate that comments include political sarcasm when we all know there is no reason for it in toy airplane discussions . Not sure why some insist on adding political jabs to their otherwise meaningful comments and help.
Youre right. Fixed.

bisco

Elite member
not speaking for anyone else, i thought the tutor was a very attractive model, and they said it flew extremely well. that's what got me so excited.
i got a free storch plan with my membership, but it looks like another tiny trainer to me, and that's just mediocre

SSgt Duramax

not speaking for anyone else, i thought the tutor was a very attractive model, and they said it flew extremely well. that's what got me so excited.
i got a free storch plan with my membership, but it looks like another tiny trainer to me, and that's just mediocre
You got the simple stick plan. That will fly different than the tiny trainer. I bet if you built it you would like it.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
You got the simple stick plan. That will fly different than the tiny trainer. I bet if you built it you would like it.
So true! The Simple Stick, with its symmetrical wing is a true joy to fly - right side up as a trainer - or inverted for more advanced. A very nicely done design, indeed.

SSgt Duramax

So true! The Simple Stick, with its symmetrical wing is a true joy to fly - right side up as a trainer - or inverted for more advanced. A very nicely done design, indeed.
I still haven't built one. I am going through a warbird phase right now. I was thinking my next plane is going to be highwing, like a legacy or tutor or something custom like one of the above. (I have a 60" armin wing with dihedral in decent shape). Then after that I'll build a stick.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I still haven't built one. I am going through a warbird phase right now. I was thinking my next plane is going to be highwing, like a legacy or tutor or something custom like one of the above. (I have a 60" armin wing with dihedral in decent shape). Then after that I'll build a stick.
The Simple Stick is a high wing. The wing is attached with rubber bands to the top of the fuselage.