EZ indoor/outdoor Flying Wing

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Use your EZ pack to build this simple fun indoor/outdoor RC plane:
SSGlider.jpg
When Looking up some walk behind gliders. I saw some interesting indoor planes. I found a wing that reminds me of the Mara. (I dub it a Flying Mustache).
After reviewing the plan and I had an EZ power pack from Flite

http://www.roberts-r2d2-bau.de/fmbindoor.html#Glider_X-Twin

In about 20 mins. I had this constructed:
IMG_20211209_022628488.jpg IMG_20211209_022633867.jpg IMG_20211209_022704196.jpg
Construction Note:
After creasing using the BBQ to open up the crease, I used the tip side to open up the shallow (10deg Bends). After they cooled completely I removed the paper from both sides, behind the CG.
When Complete, this weighs 76g, with a 450mAh 1S battery, 30g heavier that the original. I feel that 8g is the battery and about 10g is the glue. The original used a EPP safe foam adhesive like foam tac. The foam tac doesn't weigh as much after it dries as hot glue.

Glide test:

Maiden Flight:
The next day I fitted out my EZ Pack in and did this:

If you would prefer I can put an FT style Plan for it. (lay down and cut.)
If you build it, show us how it turns out down below.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

This may be your best creation so far. It flies very elegantly. Beautiful. 😎👍
Thank you.
I wish I could take full credit. The design isn't entirely mine. it's a pretty standard walk behind glider, and the plans linked In the first post are what I did this from

Anyone have ideas on decals / color schemes?

TooJung2Die

Master member
Anyone have ideas on decals / color schemes?

You want to avoid adding any more weight. Do you own an airbrush? A simple mask and stencil pattern accenting the lines using bright primaries would look nice.

The design isn't entirely mine.

Nothing is purely anyone's design anymore. Come up with something entirely your own and someone is sure to say, "Hey, that looks exactly like a ___________ (fill in the blank)". 😁

AgentC

Elite member
An albatros would be a great paint scheme :)

Have you thought about stripping the paper to make it even lighter?

FoamyDM

@AgentC - Good idea. Yes, the paper is stripped from the CG back, on top and bottom (after glue)
Do you have a picture of the paintscheme?

AgentC

Elite member
@AgentC - Good idea. Yes, the paper is stripped from the CG back, on top and bottom (after glue)
Do you have a picture of the paintscheme?

I haven't seen a paint scheme, but based on the original design (he had an eagle head on his), I think an albatross is a much cooler bird to have for a glider/wing :)
Basically a head of a gull, black tips on the ends of the wing!

FoamyDM

I look at it and am disappointed I needed 20g of Ballast. I am wondering if I should rid myself of the upturned wingtips. see about losing some weight. I was thinking a good bungie launch (up to 100' and hunt for a thermal.) possibly add an AIO with a 150mah batt. to replace half the ballast.

FoamyDM

Sorry, yeah. the AIO is a ~6g Camera and Tx in one TINY, light, package. the 150mah bat weights 4g so 10g AUW is Ballast, AND FPV.

I have an Eachine TX06 but there are others. most are reasonably priced with similar function.

L Edge

Master member
Going to introduce NEWGEN flying wing and it's plans after trying one more small variation to see what effects if any, take place. There are no vertical components at all.

After a few design generations of flying wings, I have a dropped the wing tips that were needed and substituted what I call a stabilizer which is kickass!!!!! I have been flying wings for many moons.

The wing is flat, has a 2200kv with a APC 8x3/8 P prop and with a 1300 3s lipo and weighs 332.2 grms. Goes like a bat out of !!!!!!

Does not have to be chucked, in fact, in calm can be released at 1/2 throttle. Like any wing, needs about about 2-3 degrees of up reflex. The stabilizer is the controlling factor where it changes the flow across the wing. Hence, like today with the gusty winds(Front is going thru) it prevents rolling overs, tip stalls and actually can be flown standstill(still jumping around ) above the trees. Lacking rudder control, it needs to be landed into the wind. I have use the same wing planform with the stabilizer and because of the modified airflow, landings are slow and controlled. My previous version of the wing has a "UDDER RUDDER" and that one is even easier to fly in crosswinds. The udder rudder can be used in front or rear of the prop. Just turn it around. That was my contribution to giving STOL yaw control at low speeds.

Here is version 2 with the "udder rudder" and the new generation without any vertical components.
old.JPG

Without any vertical stab

newgen.JPG

I am going to do a thread on how to build my setup with the new generation wing to stab design. FoamyDM, hope you try the stabilizer approach on one of your designs.

FoamyDM, now I can tell you what I am doing using the concept of the Prandtl, I am taking a theoretical paper that explores a rectangular wing, putting no dihedral or sweep into it and introducing a different approach to solve the yaw problem. It took me 2 months to figure out how to duplicate to even solve the possibility of getting the "right number".

Guess what part the "stabilizer" is going to do. I am going to mount it to improve the odds of working. I know the flow pattern is going to be laminar, so maybe I have a 25% chance of it working. Love working on things that don't exist. Again, thank you for presenting info that got me started.