Flite Fest 2022 Community Challenge – WWI “Dawn Patrol”

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
@wilmracer what do you say??

@willsonman laid the dates out and I'm in agreement that the Stearman (one of my favorite birds) doesn't qualify as WWI. I LOVE the barnstormer idea for next year and already have my @Mid7night designed stearman ready to go...

I want to be as inclusive as possible but I don't think we can include the Stearman in this event.

Tench745

Master member
If anyone is still looking for a plane to model, I'd like to recommend the Thomas Morse Scout. It's the USA's intermediate trainer aircraft, something between the Jenny pilots would have learned in and the Nieuports and Spads they would be flying in combat. Very few were built and almost none survive.
I would do it because they were built near me in Ithaca, NY but my storage for planes is already reaching saturation.
s4c-17a.jpg

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
This would be awesome! Lots of under-modeled military airplanes in that era. Lots of yellow wings...
And then there's the racers :cool:.
We did try and do a racer challenge a few years ago that was fun. It coincided well with the build of my Bugatti 100P with the contra-rotating motor.
It was definitely more racer focused than Golden Era focused. We had hard hats to prove it in the pylon races. Still, I'm a sucker for a Gee Bee and anything involved with Art Chester. I currently own a R-1, Z, and am about to assemble a Seagull models Z for a fellow club member. Many more fun aircraft of that era but the history is really where the excitement is.

mastermalpass

Elite member
I think I may just settle for that xl scout... With some fun mods...

What happened to that weed whacker engine you wanted to get in the air? I remember after all the debate on whether or not it had sufficient power I was like 'WW1 planes - under powered engines were the ONLY engines around back then and they flew'.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Would a very large 1/6 scale burgess-dunn BD-8 flying wing work for this challenge?

cyclone3350

Master member
Are there plans available for this? That is a very nice looking airplane/model.

Thanks for that. That is a micro model I made from 2mm depron back when that was available. I don't know Sketchup or Inkscape so my plans R fabrications from balsa plans from Outerzone. I believe @willsonman set this thread to get folks started on the endless possibilities for converting balsa plans to FB. I put some info here https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/new-to-ft-my-stuff.66655/page-2 as to how I do this. Probably not very well explained, but I am sure Josh, aka willsnman could do a better job if U R interested & contact him.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Would a very large 1/6 scale burgess-dunn BD-8 flying wing work for this challenge?

Sounds awesome! I had to do some googling to learn a bit. May not have actually seen combat or military use in WWI but definitely the right era and spirit. Do it!

And yeah, over 90" span delta biplane on floats. I'd like to see that :eek:

mastermalpass

Elite member
I would like to see a Spad XIII in Francessco Baracca's colors. Just because I like the story behind his prancing stallion.

View attachment 217225

Well I'll be damned, someone CG'd one of those... And it looks awesome! I have a minimum RC Sopwith Pup kit sitting around waiting for parts, now that I've accrued a little bit of experience with 1S set ups, I might actually assemble it - your model certainly makes me want to. :)

The Fopster

Master member
OK WW1 builders. Does anyone have some good examples of simple ways to do rigging wires? I think that's the last design decision I need to take and I'm not coming up with any ideas I like. Does the FT hive mind have any genius ideas?

Last edited:

FlyingTyger

Elite member
OK WW1 builders. Does anyone have some good examples of simple ways to do rigging wires? I think that's the last design decision I need to take and I'm not coming up with any ideas I like. Does the FT give mind have any genius ideas?

I have used elastic cord in the past if they do not need to be functional.

cyclone3350

Master member
Well I'll be damned, someone CG'd one of those... And it looks awesome! I have a minimum RC Sopwith Pup kit sitting around waiting for parts, now that I've accrued a little bit of experience with 1S set ups, I might actually assemble it - your model certainly makes me want to. :)

I'd wish I had bought one when they were available. In the winter, I have some indoor options. I used to luv making those little 1s simple 3ch biplanes. They all fly like this.

cyclone3350

Master member
Ooops, when U mentioned Minimum RC, I was thinking of the Ares micro Pup. I forgot those micro kits. U should post a build & expose others to them. I am sure there would be an interest.

Tench745

Master member
OK WW1 builders. Does anyone have some good examples of simple ways to do rigging wires? I think that's the last design decision I need to take and I'm not coming up with any ideas I like. Does the FT hive mind have any genius ideas?
400548_8a780d64490d0e3d69d35c1158416d7c.jpg

I just did flying wires on my little balsa Jenny with some black thread. Tied a clove hitch around each strut end and then hit it with a little CA glue.
Haven't flown it yet, but it was simple enough to do anyway. As long as you have solid struts it should work ok. If you had foam struts the thread would probably cut into them pretty quickly.
I've also seen elastic cord run through holes drilled in plywood struts. Your specific materials and size will affect which choices work for you.

cyclone3350

Master member
400548_8a780d64490d0e3d69d35c1158416d7c.jpg

I just did flying wires on my little balsa Jenny with some black thread. Tied a clove hitch around each strut end and then hit it with a little CA glue.
Haven't flown it yet, but it was simple enough to do anyway. As long as you have solid struts it should work ok. If you had foam struts the thread would probably cut into them pretty quickly.
I've also seen elastic cord run through holes drilled in plywood struts. Your specific materials and size will affect which choices work for you.

Whoa...too cool:cool: Whacha used for covering? Tissue? If so, nice job(y)