FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
had this in the closet for awhile. got a sunnysky x2305-1450kv that i am going to mount to an Opto 12A ESC w/ a micro 5A/3V BEC. hoping to swing a 9x4.5 prop on 2S. should be stupid. ;)

20211208_181616.jpg

laters,

me :cool:

Bricks

Master member
I use a 2206 1500 kv 8X4.5 and 450 lipo 3s defiantly more then enough omph to get out of tight situations. On 3s it will handle a 9X5 but does not have the same punch, feels like it lags a bit on the throttle.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
not rc but i finally got a pic of all 3 of our aggressor planes.

in early mid 90's Top Gun was transitioning from the A-6 Skyhawk to the F/A-18 for Aggressor role. while they did that, my squad picked up the duty of being the bad guys at Top Gun.

my fav and what liked to call my plane, was 413 in the green camo. did 2 trips to TG with this one

vfa-305 413.jpeg

next fav was 403, the dez paint.

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 9.19.50 PM.png

and finally the ghost...407

vfa-305 ghost.jpeg

also found a pic of a carrier landing on my last trip out to sea. a few of our reserve pilots still needed carrier quals so they flew 8 of us to North Island, and then a COD out to the Vincent. i would have been at the front of the mast working final check for launch.

VFA-305 Last Landing.jpeg

really wish i had been better at taking pics, glad someone else has. :sneaky:

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
busy weekend.

SBach 3D profile. no pics of flight yet but flown 5x and soooo happy.

20211208_181616 (1).jpg

maidend fellow members SU-30. mixed feelings on this one. needs a little more umph, long take off and even longer landing. stupid cool looking in the air though.

20211219_155153.jpg

hadn't flown the mario cart car in a bit so thought it was about time.

Jason5.jpg

Luigi .jpg

the Geebee is fun as always, just wish i could find the hand painted pilot that my daughter did for me. he ejected unnecessarily and has been missing in action since...

geebee.jpg

EFlite Pitts was a gift to me from another member and always fun with crazy roll rate.

pitts.jpg

also flew the paper plane a few times. so happy with how quiet and easy this is to fly.

pp2 (1).jpg

good weekend!

busy weekend.

SBach 3D profile. no pics of flight yet but flown 5x and soooo happy.

View attachment 214010

maidend fellow members SU-30. mixed feelings on this one. needs a little more umph, long take off and even longer landing. stupid cool looking in the air though.

View attachment 214011

hadn't flown the mario cart car in a bit so thought it was about time.

View attachment 214012

View attachment 214013

the Geebee is fun as always, just wish i could find the hand painted pilot that my daughter did for me. he ejected unnecessarily and has been missing in action since...

View attachment 214014

EFlite Pitts was a gift to me from another member and always fun with crazy roll rate.

View attachment 214015

also flew the paper plane a few times. so happy with how quiet and easy this is to fly.

View attachment 214016

good weekend!

What a weekend. :eek:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
kinda quiet down here... :censored:

i was in Sand Hollow last week and had a blast with my crawlers. started day with just me, by end there we prob 20 people with rc cars.

my 1/24 was prob my fav.

20211229_115149.jpg

i had hoped to have 4 wheel steering on my 10th scale but didn't have a spare front axle drive to make it all work. still had not problems getting to top.

20220108_191056.jpg

finally bit the bullet and ordered 2X set front/rear axles from another ride and hope i can hack together.

meanwhile i have been working on my "boulder problems" course in front yard. not easy in any direction but i think once i have the 4WS i should be ok. doesn't look like much but 2 of them i haven't made yet, and most the others i still have to work at. :sneaky:

bolder problems.png

for reference....

20220109_195551.jpg

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

laters,

Tench745

Master member
Is there a contest for longest build time? I started building this plane back in 2010, it was going to be my first scratch-build RC plane.
IMG_1978[1].JPG
That didn't happen for a lot of reasons.
Originally I covered it with tissue, but decided I wanted a more durable covering so I stripped it and applied some Monokote. I only had enough money for one color so it looked horrible and was way too heavy. The plane sat for a while and then I stripped it and put on tissue again.

I had tried installing a park 180 size motor in it, which was bigger than the plane needed but was the smallest I could find at the time. That motor now flies my mini-scout.

This was my first electric, so when I accidentally reversed the throttle channel, shot the plane across the room and tore the front off I learned about the importance of programming a throttle cut and testing with the prop removed.
The plane sat for a while longer before I cut out the 1/16" plywood firewall and removable servo tray I thought I would need. At some point I had to rebuild the h-stab when the glue joints failed. The new one had gussets on all four corners. Originally I had built the plane like a rubber-powered model so the gear, wings, and tail all attached with magnets. I put the plane on a diet and removed a number of them. The tail glued on permanently and the center section of the upper wing glued on too. I kept the wings and landing gear removable.
And then it sat again, this time atop my kitchen cabinets. By the time I got back to it all the tissue had soaked up years of aerosolized cooking oil and had to be replaced again.

A few months ago I got tired of looking at the poor thing sitting on my bench, so I put in an order for some UMX electronics from Banggood. A month later it still hadn't shipped, so I canceled the order and tried again. This week it came in and I was able to install a 1304 4000kv motor, micro receiver, and two micro servos.

And now, FINALLY after 11 years, 5 apartments, multiple lost parts, an airframe diet, and multiple covering jobs, my first ever scratch build is finished.
As soon as it warms up I'll try to get her flying.
Flying weight with a 600mah 2s: 4.1oz
Wing loading: 2.8oz/sqft
Cubing wing loading: 2.3

This little thing should be a real floater.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
crickets down here...

been working on this for awhile and finally got it to work. big issue was there were no more stock front axles to be had for this machine. so, i installed longer axles from the 2.0 version and that just created more issues. i ended up having to custom design and 3D print upper arm mount, steering arms front and back, and servo brackets for the rear. at many points i almost threw my hands in the air and just bought an axial capra but the almost $600 price tag was too much to take. this now has front and rear Savox HV metal geared servos. the front is 4X the stock torque and the rear is half the size but just as strong as the stock. so tickled when i finally got it all together.

taking it out tot he field in the morning for its maiden.

laters,