Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
IMG_20220120_184349867.jpg
IMG_20220123_161239883.jpg
IMG_20220123_161247579.jpg

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
All together now, rudder and nose landing gear servo installed as well. Need to print a tire for the front and a receiver tray and they are final pieces. Need to figure out a solution for the elevator pushrod as mine are not long enough at 15 inches. Ordered a motor and ESC last night, should be here in a couple days. Sharp looking plane.
IMG_20220126_061912296.jpg
IMG_20220126_061852543.jpg
IMG_20220126_061843829.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member
OMG this brings back good memories. Hitec had a small series they referred to the Weekenders. One of the models was the Zipper. It was based the the Blackshape Prime & looked like the Aero. Dude, put a high power high kv motor in it. U R gonna luv it. The Hitec was a 630mm WS. I installed the E-flite park 340 1700kv with a 3s turning a 5X5. AUW was about 270g. It would keep up with the Freewing Jets @ the field. I did 2 & hot dogged them both into golf divots. They have been long since discontinued. I would luv to find another. Now U got me wanting to get a printer to bring it back. U R killing me with that undercarriage. Too cool :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2031.JPG
    IMG_2031.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
OMG this brings back good memories. Hitec had a small series they referred to the Weekenders. One of the models was the Zipper. It was based the the Blackshape Prime & looked like the Aero. Dude, put a high power high kv motor in it. U R gonna luv it. The Hitec was a 630mm WS. I installed the E-flite park 340 1700kv with a 3s turning a 5X5. AUW was about 270g. It would keep up with the Freewing Jets @ the field. I did 2 & hot dogged them both into golf divots. They have been long since discontinued. I would luv to find another. Now U got me wanting to get a printer to bring it back. U R killing me with that undercarriage. Too cool :cool:
Wow those are some cool birds, love the color schemes. Can't believe how similar they are to the Aero. Going with a 3530 motor and an 8x8 prop with a 4s 2250, so I'm thinking it should rip pretty good. Printed the front wheel last night and finished installing the elevator and rudder/front gear servos. Wing servos tonight and some decals, sprayed a coat of clear last night. Couple of pics of how it looks, love that front wheel.
IMG_20220126_213050741.jpg
IMG_20220126_213132494.jpg
IMG_20220126_193327521.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member
Wow those are some cool birds, love the color schemes. Can't believe how similar they are to the Aero. Going with a 3530 motor and an 8x8 prop with a 4s 2250, so I'm thinking it should rip pretty good. Printed the front wheel last night and finished installing the elevator and rudder/front gear servos. Wing servos tonight and some decals, sprayed a coat of clear last night. Couple of pics of how it looks, love that front wheel.
View attachment 217176 View attachment 217177 View attachment 217178

Oooooh Yeah, did a similar setup on a 1.6kg swept wing. Running a 9X7 & it took me by surprised by the speed. As son as I get comfy with it, going 8X8 to see if it can create a cloud of vapor & shatter windows.

SSgt Duramax

Sweet! I dont know what motor I am going to put on it. These planes arent going to be 270g that is for sure.

I have a 3530 currently affixed to the F6F, extra C pack motors laying around, and I have 2 1200kv 3536 i got in the mail.

I think it will fly fine on the C pack.

I was originally planning on moving my F6F to a 3536 and run a 10x7 on it, so that will leave me with whatever motor I choose. It more depends on how it balances out than anything. I dont want a brick with a fuselage and wings attached behind it.

@Ratcheeroo, I am almost done printing PLA and going to switch to PETG. Do you mind telling me which landing gear files are needed since there are about 70?

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Sweet! I dont know what motor I am going to put on it. These planes arent going to be 270g that is for sure.

I have a 3530 currently affixed to the F6F, extra C pack motors laying around, and I have 2 1200kv 3536 i got in the mail.

I think it will fly fine on the C pack.

I was originally planning on moving my F6F to a 3536 and run a 10x7 on it, so that will leave me with whatever motor I choose. It more depends on how it balances out than anything. I dont want a brick with a fuselage and wings attached behind it.

@Ratcheeroo, I am almost done printing PLA and going to switch to PETG. Do you mind telling me which landing gear files are needed since there are about 70?
So you need the front gear bracket,lever and spring, as well the front gear tube(I guess you need to print all four and choose the one that fits best) I am not sure which one I used but can measure for you when I get home which one it was to save you the trouble of printing all 4. The front gear leg can be printed as one piece vertical, or two pieces horizontal, I went vertical and it turned out fine. Then the main landing gear print 2 each of main gear leg, main gear lever leg and main gear spring.

SSgt Duramax

So you need the front gear bracket,lever and spring, as well the front gear tube(I guess you need to print all four and choose the one that fits best) I am not sure which one I used but can measure for you when I get home which one it was to save you the trouble of printing all 4. The front gear leg can be printed as one piece vertical, or two pieces horizontal, I went vertical and it turned out fine. Then the main landing gear print 2 each of main gear leg, main gear lever leg and main gear spring.

Thanks! It may be overkill to print the gear in PETG, I don't know but I am going to do it anyways. Have you flown your model A yet? I haven't got a chance to take mine up because we have been in home renovation hell for the past week or so. I am excited to see what this thing weighs printed with the low density PLA.

Oh and as far as servo rods go, I am going to try and use the hanging wire and snake it through there, It looks like there is enough support with the guides in there. Most of my scratchbuilds consist of hanging wire and coffee stirs.

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Thanks! It may be overkill to print the gear in PETG, I don't know but I am going to do it anyways. Have you flown your model A yet? I haven't got a chance to take mine up because we have been in home renovation hell for the past week or so. I am excited to see what this thing weighs printed with the low density PLA.

Oh and as far as servo rods go, I am going to try and use the hanging wire and snake it through there, It looks like there is enough support with the guides in there. Most of my scratchbuilds consist of hanging wire and coffee stirs.
Haven't flown it yet and we have another blizzard heading our way tomorrow, so think I am going to print some skis if I want to fly it. Are you printing wheels?

SSgt Duramax

Haven't flown it yet and we have another blizzard heading our way tomorrow, so think I am going to print some skis if I want to fly it. Are you printing wheels?
For my shark yes. I am thinking of just belly landing the model a. It will be my first time printing with tpu. I have a direct drive kit coming in that relocates the extruder right next to the hot end. I may install that first. If not I have a capricorn tube.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
For my shark yes. I am thinking of just belly landing the model a. It will be my first time printing with tpu. I have a direct drive kit coming in that relocates the extruder right next to the hot end. I may install that first. If not I have a capricorn tube.
I can send you the files I used for my wheels if you want them

SSgt Duramax

I can send you the files I used for my wheels if you want them
That would be great! I'll PM you my email address. Did you use CA hinges, or did you make them from TPU. I found the TPU hinges that he was talking about in the video. I have also heard of folks using tyvek (that is the stuff those hard to tear plastic envelopes are made from)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I made them from clear mica plastic , I buy these laminating sheets from the dollar store, I usually use this stuff for making canopies but it works great for hinges too, and the price is right , LOL.
IMG_20220127_170102289.jpg

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
That would be great! I'll PM you my email address. Did you use CA hinges, or did you make them from TPU. I found the TPU hinges that he was talking about in the video. I have also heard of folks using tyvek (that is the stuff those hard to tear plastic envelopes are made from)
And I used the 10.3 file for the front landing gear tube

cyclone3350

Master member
I made them from clear mica plastic , I buy these laminating sheets from the dollar store, I usually use this stuff for making canopies but it works great for hinges too, and the price is right , LOL.
View attachment 217202

I haven't seen that stuff before. I will have to look it up. U say it works for canopies. That has always been my nemesis. Finding a suitable material for making canopies. That, & of course making them. Aaaagh, I get all frustrated just thinking about making them.:mad::ROFLMAO:

SSgt Duramax

The 19 gauge hanging wire fits through the tubes ok. I guess one of mine is off (the longer one) so it binds in that one. I need to figure something out.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I haven't seen that stuff before. I will have to look it up. U say it works for canopies. That has always been my nemesis. Finding a suitable material for making canopies. That, & of course making them. Aaaagh, I get all frustrated just thinking about making them.:mad::ROFLMAO:
yep, that's what I used on the Tri-Pacer and my P-39

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
The 19 gauge hanging wire fits through the tubes ok. I guess one of mine is off (the longer one) so it binds in that one. I need to figure something out.
So when I found that my regular pushrods were not long enough I remembered that I bought this spool of wire to make my own pushrods and then everything was good. Not easy to straighten by hand but then I found a video on youtube about how to do it and never used it until now because I haven't had the need for such a long pushrod. In the end worked out great. I got this on Amazon for I think around 12 dollars for 42 feet
IMG_20220127_205112093.jpg
IMG_20220127_205035279.jpg