Please Help.

Rookie430

I am helping my 13 year old son build a FliteTest tutor. The build went fine, but we are having trouble getting the electronics to work properly.
We have a Spektrum AR620 receiver and a DXS transmitter.
The tail flaps and rudder are working fine, but the motor will not turn.
We have checked to make sure the motor on/off switch is not activated, and have tested the receiver functionality by plugging the wire that goes to the rear rudder, into slot #1. Nothing happens. What does that mean? does that mean that the receiver is not working properly?
Please see attached image. This is how I understand it needs to be setup. Battery plugged into ESC. motor plugged into ESC, ESC plugged into slot #1 one, Tail flaps and rudder plugged into 2 and 3. (in this configuration as shown in the picture, the tail flaps and rudders work. the motor does not)
Does anything need to be plugged into the very far left slot labelled 'battery'?

Also do you know what the small red plug is hanging off of the ESC? does that need to plug into the slot labeled 'Battery'?

Any advice on how to get the throttle working would be awesome.

many thanks
-Dan
IMG_1.jpg
IMG_2.jpg

SSgt Duramax

I haven't used a FT ESC before, but I believe that little red plug is there to accept a smaller battery connector. Have you tried calibrating your ESC yet? This is how you do it if you haven't.

1. Power on transmitter with battery unplugged.
2. Throttle all the way up.
3. Plug in battery.
4. ESC should beep and nothing should really happen with the motor.
5. Throttle all the way down on the transmitter, and then it should complete it's start up sequence.

Of course, do not have a prop on the motor.

Hvon11

The slot/position “Battery” is for a binding plug (not needed if you push and hold the receiver bind button while powering up) or when using another power source to power the receiver (old school, glow fuel engines, before we had ESCs). Now we have electric motors and Electronic Speed Controllers that provide a Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC) that power the recieiver through the throttle slot # 1. So plugging in your ESC to slot 1 powers the receiver. The other small red plug is for accessories and is full battery voltage. Good for lights and other things but generally not used.

So your problem seems to be that the ESC won’t arm. Let’s start by making sure your propeller is removed as the next steps may cause the motor to activate. 1st, make sure radio throttle stick is all the way down and throttle trim is lowerted to lowest setting before powering on radio. Power on Radio and then Receiver/plane, You should hear a series of tones as the receiver boots up and finishes with the number of tones of your flight battery cells (3S = 3 tones) then a long tone indicating ESC is armed. If servos are active, then try raising throttle to run motor. Check that Throttle Cut Off Switch is on (up). This is usualy the switch on the upper right of the radio. If that doesn’t work check that throttle travels are set to -147 to 147 on the transmitter. I don’t know that transmitter, but on other Spektrum transmitters the servo/throttle trim limits are adjustable and need to be at least -147 to 147 for most ESCs to arm.

Last edited:

Gavinski

I am helping my 13 year old son build a FliteTest tutor. The build went fine, but we are having trouble getting the electronics to work properly.
We have a Spektrum AR620 receiver and a DXS transmitter.
The tail flaps and rudder are working fine, but the motor will not turn.
We have checked to make sure the motor on/off switch is not activated, and have tested the receiver functionality by plugging the wire that goes to the rear rudder, into slot #1. Nothing happens. What does that mean? does that mean that the receiver is not working properly?
Please see attached image. This is how I understand it needs to be setup. Battery plugged into ESC. motor plugged into ESC, ESC plugged into slot #1 one, Tail flaps and rudder plugged into 2 and 3. (in this configuration as shown in the picture, the tail flaps and rudders work. the motor does not)
Does anything need to be plugged into the very far left slot labelled 'battery'?

Also do you know what the small red plug is hanging off of the ESC? does that need to plug into the slot labeled 'Battery'?

Any advice on how to get the throttle working would be awesome.

many thanks
-Dan
View attachment 223510 View attachment 223511
Have you tried binding the transmitter to another receiver and re-binding it to the 6x receiver. Have you also tried turning off the safe mode by flipping on an off the safety switch. My last idea is to try to make sure that the ESC works in a servo tester, then try again.
To make sure that you have the best experience possible, I would recommend that you use a triangle to make sure that your rudder and elevator stabilizers are all in 90 degree angles from each other.

Rookie430

The slot/position “Battery” is for a binding plug (not needed if you push and hold the receiver bind button while powering up) or when using another power source to power the receiver (old school, glow fuel engines, before we had ESCs). Now we have electric motors and Electronic Speed Controllers that provide a Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC) that power the recieiver through the throttle slot # 1. So plugging in your ESC to slot 1 powers the receiver. The other small red plug is for accessories and is full battery voltage. Good for lights and other things but generally not used.

So your problem seems to be that the ESC won’t arm. Let’s start by making sure your propeller is removed as the next steps may cause the motor to activate. 1st, make sure radio throttle stick is all the way down and throttle trim is lowerted to lowest setting before powering on radio. Power on Radio and then Receiver/plane, You should here a series of tones as the receiver boots up and finishes with the number of tones of your flight battery cells (3S = 3 tones) then a long tone indicating ESC is armed. If servos are active, then try raising throttle to run motor. Check that Throttle Cut Off Switch is on (up). This is usualy the switch on the upper right of the radio. If that doesn’t work check that throttle travels are set to -147 to 147 on the transmitter. I don’t know that transmitter, but on other Spektrum transmitters the servo/throttle trim limits are adjustable and need to be at least -147 to 147 for most ESCs to arm.

So your problem seems to be that the ESC won’t arm. Let’s start by making sure your propeller is removed as the next steps may cause the motor to activate. 1st, make sure radio throttle stick is all the way down and throttle trim is lowerted to lowest setting before powering on radio. Power on Radio and then Receiver/plane, You should here a series of tones as the receiver boots up and finishes with the number of tones of your flight battery cells (3S = 3 tones) then a long tone indicating ESC is armed. If servos are active, then try raising throttle to run motor. Check that Throttle Cut Off Switch is on (up). This is usualy the switch on the upper right of the radio. If that doesn’t work check that throttle travels are set to -147 to 147 on the transmitter. I don’t know that transmitter, but on other Spektrum transmitters the servo/throttle trim limits are adjustable and need to be at least -147 to 147 for most ESCs to arm.

Thank you all for your help and information!
Hvon11 the throttle cut off switch was the problem. Many thanks for that suggestion!
So frustrating, but a simple solution!