Need a recommendation for a kids' camp craft

MamaBear24

I'm looking for a super-simple design to make with a class of 20 elementary-aged kids (1st - 4th). I have access to a laser cutter. Any recommendations? They have to be easy to build (they'll have about an hour to build), but I'd like something that the kids can enjoy having.
Has anybody else had experience doing something like this? Advice is much appreciated.

SSgt Duramax

@nerdnic has some pretty neat chuck gliders on his website. I have built both the P-51 and the F-16 and both fly great. I actually liked the F-16 a little better.

https://www.nerdnic.com/chuck-glider.html

There is also the flite test EZ gliders, which also sound like what you are looking for. Although cutting them out in mass probably wouldn't be smiled upon (I think that would defeat the purpose of the "stem store" wouldn't it).

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/ft-ez-glider.56/

I don't know if there are any community stem designs out there as far as "full fuselage" gliders. If there aren't maybe someone with the ability to design could take a look at that.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I have built the ez glider, I don't think that would be a 1 hour build for someone without any experience building the planes.

SSgt Duramax

I have built the ez glider, I don't think that would be a 1 hour build for someone without any experience building the planes.
Oh, guess I missed that. I think printing out various designs of those chuck planes I posted would probably be cheapest/best. They are only one sheet each too.

bisco

Elite member
i gave my grandsons a couple of simple foam gliders, punch out and slide together. they had a ball with them

ennobee

I have built several gliders from sheet balsa, sheet styrofoam and even sheet foam rubber in my younger days -read, the eighties-. So from my own experience I can tell, everything can become a glider once you get the principles of trimming and dihedral right. And after you get some eye for wing surface and weight, most of them actually fly pretty well. So it's more of a question as to what you want to build and how complex you can make it for kids still being able to make them in an hour. If you get access to plastic props, even a simple rubber model is possible. So the first idea is roughly what do you want to make - roughly- the size you can go and the materials you have.....and what facilities do you have to show it off: courtyard? Second story window for altitude launches/distance records or a meadow with enough space for bungee/winch launches of serious sailplanes.... And then go backwards from there.

And don't be afraid to ask for help in this forum. I for one could probably get you close to a dozen plans for every idea.

So ask ahead.

Piotrsko

Master member
Depending on stock/availability, I had a lot of cubscout success with dollar tree foam gliders or walmart dittos and a couple of sharpie permanent markers (just because a bazjillion identical white gliders is annoying in it's own fashion). The only issue with DIY kits is the DIY cutting unless you have something numerics controlled