Airplane Batteries vs Cord-less Drill batteries

randyrls

Randy
Is there a difference between batteries used in the newer brush-less / cord-less drills vs the batteries we use in our airplanes? Different chemistry? or something?

I have seen people abusing drill batteries and the batteries never seem to have problems. Drop them, bounce them around in toolboxes, knock them off sawhorses, Charge them every night for years and the batteries keep on truckin.

Piotrsko

Master member
Our stuff tends to have a higher discharge rate (C rating) and lacks all that neat steel casing for bulletproofness. If you need to abuse your batteries in a toolbox, I suggest encasing them in dollartree pool noodles. If you need longevity, don't charge or discharge them to the level and rates we do, so fly for only two minutes a time with a teensy motor

tamuct01

Most consumer appliances/tools use Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) batteries and not Lithium-Polymer (Li-Po) chemistry. The Li-Ion batteries have a very good power density but don't have the discharge rating that Li-Po does. They are also more chemically stable than Li-Po. The battery packs are usually made from a bundle of 18650 cells grouped together in series (for voltage) or series-parallel (get the required voltage plus capacity/current). Some folks have used Li-Ion 18650 cells in RC airplane applications, but you have to be very cautious with power draw or you can damage the cells. That being said, if you can pull it off, the flight times can be very good.

Bricks

Master member
My 12 - 14.4 volt drills when the the original batteries go bad I cut the plastic case apart pull the old junk batteries out, add XT60 connectors and use my old 1500 3 Cell Lipo`s, Most of the plastic cases will hold the 3 cell then use velcro to hold the pieces together. They work great I have never worried about them getting banged around I have dropped a few on concrete harder on the plastic then the battery.

Most consumer appliances/tools use Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) batteries and not Lithium-Polymer (Li-Po) chemistry. The Li-Ion batteries have a very good power density but don't have the discharge rating that Li-Po does. They are also more chemically stable than Li-Po. The battery packs are usually made from a bundle of 18650 cells grouped together in series (for voltage) or series-parallel (get the required voltage plus capacity/current). Some folks have used Li-Ion 18650 cells in RC airplane applications, but you have to be very cautious with power draw or you can damage the cells. That being said, if you can pull it off, the flight times can be very good.
Tom stanton Made a video about it explaining how to pull it off and giving a bit of science about the difference. Pretty interesting and helpful to watch if you’re interested in using Li-ion batteries.

tamuct01

My 12 - 14.4 volt drills when the the original batteries go bad I cut the plastic case apart pull the old junk batteries out, add XT60 connectors and use my old 1500 3 Cell Lipo`s, Most of the plastic cases will hold the 3 cell then use velcro to hold the pieces together. They work great I have never worried about them getting banged around I have dropped a few on concrete harder on the plastic then the battery.
You should be cautious when doing this. All of the major tool manufacturers' batteries have Low-Voltage Cutoff (LVC) circuitry built into the battery to prevent over-discharge. If you bypass that by connecting your own cells, just be aware that you may accidentally damage them from over-discharge.

randyrls

Randy
You should be cautious when doing this. All of the major tool manufacturers' batteries have Low-Voltage Cutoff (LVC) circuitry built into the battery to prevent over-discharge. If you bypass that by connecting your own cells, just be aware that you may accidentally damage them from over-discharge.

Yes; If I over-use a drill battery, it gets down to 1 light (out of 4) the light flashes and the drill just shuts off! It doesn't slow down, it just will not work.

danskis

Master member
And it only takes one or two batteries going bad in that "drill" pack to make the whole thing pretty worthless. Open it up and you have 10? good batteries. I modded my electric razor to take one and now I only have to charge it every two months. It goes whirrrrrrrrr a little faster too. I use another one on my servo centerer/tester

Bricks

Master member

Don`t really care they are too weak to fly anything with, other wise they would be thrown away. For drill purpose they have taken a beating and still keep going, have drained them so low the drill won`t turn throw on the charger and off they go again. One battery in particular probably has at least 120-150 charge discharge cycles thru the drill.