WWI SE5A 1:6 SCALE FOR DAWN PATROL FF 2022

noahangel11

3A2FD991-1023-4D0D-B05F-77F1746A3108.jpeg

noahangel11

Still need to mount machine gun, engines, and pilot wind shield, but the pilot was anxious to sit in the plane. I may not be able to put the bottom bullseye on the bottom wing, as the servos and mounts for wing struts are in the way.
76D8F19D-4A27-46CC-AA4D-25A5AE138CA4.jpeg
76D8F19D-4A27-46CC-AA4D-25A5AE138CA4.jpeg
765A360B-F66E-45B9-8E8F-D8D9E3F6B96C.jpeg
1DEA8245-EAC6-431B-86DE-0C690033BD33.jpeg

Attachments

• CDC99F2A-9E35-4DCF-A776-1D906A3D93EB.jpeg
    CDC99F2A-9E35-4DCF-A776-1D906A3D93EB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Meh... rigging is a "nice to have" at this point. It's pretty but ads more drag than you may think. Looking forward to your flight report.

noahangel11

update. I had to move the battery (4s 3000 mah) all the way forward. This means that the nice magnetic hatch I made up top that includes the machine gun and cockpit area is now a glorified receiver and servo access 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I ended up cutting loose the fuse bottom up front and will turn it into a hatch. Inside I added a battery tray and Velcro tie down for the battery.

Sigh. Biplanes are so hard to balance withought a ton of nose weight, so I am at least thankful that it balanced with just battery weight and no additional lead. I’m glad I went with the overkill heavier motor.

So the total weight comes in at a whopping 5.3 lbs (85oz)!

I looked at other 1:6 scale Se5as on the market and home built, and they all weighed in at 5-6 lbs.

Will it fly? Who knows. But radio is all set up and programmed. Only need to make the hatch.
380D0B34-C91F-4835-8644-7D49624C47D0.jpeg

noahangel11

Looks fantastic! Updates?
I flew it, it flew but was tail heavy. Corrected that and flew again, it was a dog in the air due to due heavy wire I used for the struts.
I did not take it to FF 2022 as I could not fit it in the vehicle with my other planes.

I plan to redo the CAD a little and make ply wing struts and removable wings.
It’s on my list of todos after I finish my FireFox and DarkStar

LundiThembi

Well...sorry to here it didn't fly as you hoped, cause...it was a heck of a nice looking build.

I've only been at this for 1 1/2 years so my learning curve is still pretty steep. I've built 4 FT Minis, 4 FT swappables and 1 Master series. I have to say they have all been consistently tail heavy. Added 5 - 6 ounces nose weight in both the Bushwacker and Spitfire. Jusyt hate to add all that weight after trying to keep the build light.

So now, I'm on my second version of Vincent's D-7. My first was a complete disaster due to lack of understanding of CG for biplanes. I've just finished my second, 25% lighter but STILL need almost 7 oz. of weight to balance ATFER installing a 2200 mad battery!!

I've done a good bit of read biplane CGs and keep coming across how challenging it is for WW I models. So not sure if ws all due to your strut wire, looked like 1/8"? How much weight did you add to the nose? I'lll see how this goes and then try this SE5A. I really want a WW I biplane!!

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 9.00.12 PM.png

noahangel11

Well...sorry to here it didn't fly as you hoped, cause...it was a heck of a nice looking build.

I've only been at this for 1 1/2 years so my learning curve is still pretty steep. I've built 4 FT Minis, 4 FT swappables and 1 Master series. I have to say they have all been consistently tail heavy. Added 5 - 6 ounces nose weight in both the Bushwacker and Spitfire. Jusyt hate to add all that weight after trying to keep the build light.

So now, I'm on my second version of Vincent's D-7. My first was a complete disaster due to lack of understanding of CG for biplanes. I've just finished my second, 25% lighter but STILL need almost 7 oz. of weight to balance ATFER installing a 2200 mad battery!!

I've done a good bit of read biplane CGs and keep coming across how challenging it is for WW I models. So not sure if ws all due to your strut wire, looked like 1/8"? How much weight did you add to the nose? I'lll see how this goes and then try this SE5A. I really want a WW I biplane!!

View attachment 232495

I did not need weight added to nose, I had a heavy battery and was able to move it way forward. The long nose on this plane helps. my original battery location was just forward of the pilot and the whole pilot canopy area was removable. When I realized how tail heavy it would be, I moved the battery way forward and made a battery access panel underneath.

LundiThembi

Good you didn't need extra weight, do you think the overall weight was too heavy? I scaled up the swappable Mustang by 140% and used the Scout XL Power pack, it could perform but was just too heavy, only 3 - 3 1/2 minute flights if I babied it.

I'm interested in pursuing a larger biplane once I figure out this one. Any flight video of yours?

Thanks for your input

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 11.20.40 PM.png

noahangel11

Good you didn't need extra weight, do you think the overall weight was too heavy? I scaled up the swappable Mustang by 140% and used the Scout XL Power pack, it could perform but was just too heavy, only 3 - 3 1/2 minute flights if I babied it.

I'm interested in pursuing a larger biplane once I figure out this one. Any flight video of yours?

Thanks for your input

View attachment 232496
yes overall weight was too high. I know I can lighten up with less ply in the fuselage and using ply instead of 1/8” wire for wing struts. Then I think it would be a great flyer.

quorneng

Master member
You only have to look at a typical WW1 biplane with the fabric covering removed to see just how lightly built the tail is compared to the heavy engine in the front that has many solid steel parts in it.
Pupframe2.jpg

LundiThembi

Wow, I guess all steel solved their balance problem! I was on one forum (dang, can't find it now) where one guy commented he had to add nearly 10 pounds to the nose to get his D-VII to balance, assume it was a pretty big scale plane!