Help! Optimal battery bugs3h w 4in1 esc. Does anyone know if it can handle a higher c rating and what aftermarket lipo is the best quality also. I was plann

DoubleD72

Bugs3 h altitude hold w 4in1 esc. Does anyone know if I can run a 1500mah 7.4v 50c lipo without frying the board? Any working knowledge would be greatly appreciated, thank you. I have only had the bugs 3 manual prior w independent esc that I flew on 3s 30c 2200mah spectrum no issues and pretty fast, but a bit heavy sacrificing agility so of course I had to go 4s 1800mah in it and 2nd flight burned out esc under mild punch out. I'm hoping for a little more snap for this without cooking it right away. Thanks again in advance for any possible advice

b-29er

So looking at some videos, that doesn't have a 4 in 1 esc, that has a proprietary controller integrated into a power delivery board with 4 escs soldered to it. If your drone's internals look anything like this, I would give it nothing in terms of battery outside of what it specifies. If you want a "punchier" drone, get a lighter battery with a higher C rating or be prepared to replace the internals with a 40mm stack and escs. I don't know if the escs could handle the power, but chances are if your pdb/controller fried it's probably not designed for the extra voltage of a 4s.
1669592247274.png

DoubleD72

So looking at some videos, that doesn't have a 4 in 1 esc, that has a proprietary controller integrated into a power delivery board with 4 escs soldered to it. If your drone's internals look anything like this, I would give it nothing in terms of battery outside of what it specifies. If you want a "punchier" drone, get a lighter battery with a higher C rating or be prepared to replace the internals with a 40mm stack and escs. I don't know if the escs could handle the power, but chances are if your pdb/controller fried it's probably not designed for the extra voltage of a 4s. View attachment 232555
I'm going to follow your advice and go lighter and higher c rating, thank you. Some of the bugs 3 get away with flying on 4s and some don't. Lesson learned, I'll stick to 2s and 3s occasionally 👍

Piotrsko

Master member
Pulling off the shrink wrap and using a much better heat sink could help longevity of the esc. If they were really hot to the touch and you punched it, then that's why the fried.

DoubleD72

Pulling off the shrink wrap and using a much better heat sink could help longevity of the esc. If they were really hot to the touch and you punched it, then that's why the fried.
Thank you very much for your excellent advice sir, it is truly appreciated!!! 👍😊💯 What part is the heat sink? I'm not 100% sure, thank you very much again for your time and knowledge

quorneng

Master member
DoubleD72
There are components on any micro board that are voltage limited. They simply cannot handle more than their rated voltage. If its rated 3s then stick to 3s.
There are components on a micro board, usually involved in switching amps, that are amp limited. Exceed that rating even if still within the voltage limit and it will fry.
Unless you can find out the manufacturers volts and amps limits for the individual parts adding more power comes down to trial and error testing to destruction which is going to be expensive, unless you can exactly follow what someone else has already proved.

As has been advised the safest way to improve performance is to "add lightness".

DoubleD72

DoubleD72
There are components on any micro board that are voltage limited. They simply cannot handle more than their rated voltage. If its rated 3s then stick to 3s.
There are components on a micro board, usually involved in switching amps, that are amp limited. Exceed that rating even if still within the voltage limit and it will fry.
Unless you can find out the manufacturers volts and amps limits for the individual parts adding more power comes down to trial and error testing to destruction which is going to be expensive, unless you can exactly follow what someone else has already proved.

As has been advised the safest way to improve performance is to "add lightness".
Thank you very much sir, I appreciate your knowledge and input.