Solved Painting a FT Mighty Mini DR1 Triplane

Inq

Elite member
I bought the DR1 some time ago, but was a beginner flyer. Although, still a beginner, I think I'm willing to take a chance on flying one now. I'm wondering how do you all paint these. Do you paint them while in parts or once you've put it together? I'm imagining I would not be able to paint between the wings.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I bought the DR1 some time ago, but was a beginner flyer. Although, still a beginner, I think I'm willing to take a chance on flying one now. I'm wondering how do you all paint these. Do you paint them while in parts or once you've put it together? I'm imagining I would not be able to paint between the wings.
Of 8 DR1s I only painted the 150% version. I painted the wings and fuselage separately before assembly. If you're doing the wings and fuselage all the same color then it's not a huge problem. If not, before painting I'd mock up the wings and get your alignment right and then glue the middle one. That'll let you put on the front posterboard. Once that assembly and the wings are painted then you can put the bottom wing, struts, and top wing together. Hope that made sense.

Reactions: Inq

Inq

Elite member
Of 8 DR1s I only painted the 150% version. I painted the wings and fuselage separately before assembly. If you're doing the wings and fuselage all the same color then it's not a huge problem. If not, before painting I'd mock up the wings and get your alignment right and then glue the middle one. That'll let you put on the front posterboard. Once that assembly and the wings are painted then you can put the bottom wing, struts, and top wing together. Hope that made sense.

Yes, very clear instructions... and more logical than trying to paint the stock version.

Do I still need to oil-base poly this FT kit board? They said something in the video saying its semi-water proof.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Yes, very clear instructions... and more logical than trying to paint the stock version.

Do I still need to oil-base poly this FT kit board? They said something in the video saying its semi-water proof.
If it's the brown WR board then you need to scuff it for the paint to hold otherwise it will pull off with masking tape. It's a fine line between scuffing enough to get the paint to stick and over doing it to the point of fuzziness. For anything I'm going to paint I prefer DTFB, oil based poly and then sample size paint from Lowes or Home Depot.