“Bringing Hope to the Hobby”

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
It is good to actually find out that an important position holder actually exists.
You may find that the biggest thing that relegates users such as I and most other forum users to the outer limits of the legislative considerations, is the well founded idea that the RC fraternity, (in the vast majority), are effectively a bunch of ignorant and dangerous cowboys who do not even deserve to be considered seriously.

Locally I have tried to actually educate and inform such persons who will listen into such things as how the digital radios actually work, their shortcomings, safety, (I mean actual and demonstrable safety), proper antenna setup, the installation and use of flight controllers and stabilisers as well as being a flight instructor including strange topics such as even model repair techniques.
The result of my efforts are that I have a few very aware students but no where to fly and in inability to get insurance through the so called national associations simply because they do not understand any of the information I have presented to them and they are too self absorbed to do any research for themselves.

Their positions of power are more important to them than the safety of the membership, the insurance risks, the federal regulations and recently even disabled service veterans. Recreational users actually need to smarten up their act, as collectively we are at the fringe of a new industry with autonomous flying vehicles or drones being on the horizon. What space will remain for those who refuse to learn and act responsibly, (to be able to maintain and enjoy the recreational pastime), appears to be effectively zero unless actual and serious education of the sector is commenced soon.

A collection of confused and garbled voices from a number of self interested persons who have little actual knowledge and therefore cannot offer anything to the discussion apart from what appears to be their complaining about their individual self interests is always going to be an easy to dismiss and even greatly annoying entity. Collective and knowledgeable voices actually impress regulators and law makers.

If the collective of users cannot learn, then the sector is doomed to extinction. Heck even the AMA has a lack of knowledge of the current technology and refers its members back to the Chinese manufacturers, (with the Chinese having concerns about intellectual property, copyright and of course their national interest concerns in relation to giving a person from a hostile country sensitive information).

If nothing changes in the hobby sector I am afraid it is soon to cease to exist or remain recognisable.

Sorry for the rant but after almost 5 years of effort in just getting proper safety understood I am disgusted at the determined ignorance and unwillingness to learn anything shown by the vast majority.

Good luck with your efforts.

Have fun!

I'm not sure what you would expect of anyone that stares into the sky watching toy planes buzz around, but I can assure you that your expectations will always be unmet. Although this is true, it doesn't mean that you should give up trying to make a difference. My suggestion, though, would be to not denigrate the community in which you are wanting to help. Yeah there might be some tough cases, but don't group everyone into the same basket. Be a little more gracious and it may surprise you.
I do appreciate your candor though!

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
Hi Lee,

It's nice to see that the director of FTCA is here communicating inside the forum. I have found that the FT forum has been a big help to me. I feel others would say the same thing about being a helpful forum. I believe you will get comments here that you might not get any where else. If the hobby wants to grow we need to stay informed. There is to much dis-information or wrong information out there about the hobby. I believe you can help us out with what is really going on inside the hobby. Please keep us up to date on what is going on in the hobby especially with the FAA.

Please keep the info coming,
Al
I appreciate the welcome, and I hope to engage in some meaningful conversations through this platform.
I hope that I don't spread any dis-information. And if I do, I will make sure to correct whatever it is.
I will do my best with the FAA stuff! The biggest problem with that is that they really don't know what they are trying to communicate either. It will be my aim to interpret, or find someone who can, the jargon of the FAA into terms in which we can understand.

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
Thank you, Lee, for making the effort to connect with people here on the forum. I admit that even I haven't been frequenting here as much as I used to, but it definitely is a better place to talk to people, many of whom you won't find elsewhere. The FB platform certainly makes it easier to "see" to a greater number of fans. The forums, if you use them intentionally, will afford more meaningful and deeper connections. While FB/IG may show snapshots of "what" is going on out there, the forums are where you can answer the "who" and "why" better.
My hope is that I can connect with the true FT'er that made the community what it is today! I want to learn more about the "who" and the "why".

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
Hello Lee. Welcome to the forums.

I fly with a bunch of guys we all follow F T avidly. Within the group it was said, sort of in jest that we should organize as the Delaware contingent of the FTCA.
My immediate reply was can we identify as an autonomous membership group? Just because I don't like joining things unless it is to volunteer at Flite Fest.

We all fly at a school in the middle of nowhere, not at a club and it's nice, we are all responsible and don't need an AMA club to be told what the right thing to do is, or dues or fees.

Personally I like flying with other people, we have a group WhatsApp chat together and the camaraderie is really nice. We have even done a build night at a hall we borrowed. (Socially distanced of course)

All that said and sort of contrary to that, I wouldn't mind helping with a build night at a library or Community Center I'm sure one or two of the other guys I fly with would love to help as well.

Either way, it's nice to have some official FT representation on the forums, thank you for taking the time to be a presence here.
-Flite Risk

may it only rain when your batteries are charging.
I'm not going to pressure anyone into joining the FTCA in order to be able to fly. I would encourage everyone to join to get behind something they believe in. The FTCA is not a response to government regulations, although we will be taking part in helping with compliance. The FTCA is the result of a vision to protect and promote a hobby that we all love and want to serve. So at the end of the day if someone doesn't want to join, that's ok. But what I do believe is that we must all have something that keeps us together and focused on a central mission/objective.

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
Hey, Lee! Good to see you on the forums. I've made a concerted effort to be more involved with the forums since Flite Fest. Not really sure why I migrated away for a while. Lots of good stuff going on here. This is a great place to find community based builds and challenges that can be incorporated into Flite Fest. We didn't have any of those this year (I blame the wooziness from Covid and no one really knowing what to expect), but we have in the past. These are some things I'm planning on pitching to you for next and future years.
Keep your A&D Ointment handy! :LOL:
Patrick Murphy
Oh, there's plans for you Murphy!!!

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
Hello Lee.

It was good to meet you in person at Flite Fest this year. Very glad to see you reaching out to the FT forum community as well. There are quite a few folks in here who avoid all the other social media platforms who have voices that should also be heard.

My local flying field is a non AMA park flyer only (smaller electric planes) field maintained by a few of the guys that fly there. The field is on property that is owned by the county and we recently signed a contract to be able to fly there for the next 5 years. There are no memberships required, no dues, and no meetings. Anyone is free to show up and fly there whenever they want to. With the upcoming changes coming from the FAA requiring remote ID except at a FRIA's, I would be very interested in getting our field recognized as an FTCA FRIA. I realize that might be months or years out yet, but I would love to know what the requirements will be as soon as possible to start that process.

I've also had several conversations with the owner of the nearest Hobby Town about the possibility of hosting and running some build nights. I'd be interested in knowing if Flite Test or the FTCA might be able to help facilitate or support that.
It was great to meet you as well! It sounds like you have a pretty sweet gig there going on. I would love to help you with becoming a FRIA when the FAA gets around to that requirement. The first thing we need is for them to make up their mind about how they want to recognize CBO's. Once they do that, I think the rest will fall into line...I hope!

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
For our club I had to dig into the FRIA`s the biggest part is you have to prove you are a community based organization, in other words some type of structured group. Once that is done they require where you do your flying by GPS coordinates, by my understanding was all four corners of the airfield where you fly at. Now all this may change as the final rules at that time were not all up and at that time they would not be out until Nov of 2022. Once you have your FRIA`s status it had to be renewed every four years and you have a window of 90 days to renew.
The key is what they are recognizing as the requirements for a CBO. As of right now, the draft of FAA's AC 91-57c gives a little more of a glimpse into that. It is much more than just a structured group, I would recommend you take a look at that AC. If you need any help along the way, please reach out.

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
Welcome to the forums Lee. I am sure they warned you about me hehe... let me know when your settled and ready to field some direct questions.
Nope, haven't heard a thing about you. I hope that doesn't disappoint you.
Feel free to direct fire my way. I have been trained how to engage and/or avoid terrorists pretty well!😉

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
Hey Lee! Bout-time you showed up!... :ROFLMAO:
(Just remember, there ARE quite a few of us here that don't do FB or other social media, so you are more than welcome!)

I'm sure you'll find a great community here in the same FT tradition as those of us you met at Flite Fest this year.

And oh, yea, if no one has warned you about @PsyBorg let me be the first! ;)
I've never really been one who is always on time, just one who seems to always show up.
Looking forward to meeting this great community!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I appreciate the welcome, and I hope to engage in some meaningful conversations through this platform.
I hope that I don't spread any dis-information. And if I do, I will make sure to correct whatever it is.
I will do my best with the FAA stuff! The biggest problem with that is that they really don't know what they are trying to communicate either. It will be my aim to interpret, or find someone who can, the jargon of the FAA into terms in which we can understand.
I have experienced the exact same lack of technical legislative in the local legislators but I have been making submissions with actual technical information and so far the submissions have been well accepted and a few documents relative to the operation of drones from the regualtor have been subject to amendment or have been corrected.

Current submissions have been made with more information as well as a request to amend the appropriate legislation ot improve actual safety of operation country wide.

I still a way to go but the slow progress made so far is still progress and the education is proceeding slowly for surely.

I wish you equal or greater success. You will need a great deal of actual information of the tech, safety, and even be able to suggest what will work and what will not. Effectively you will almost need to be able to do their job for them.

Good Luck!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@FTCA Director Ok Lee....

So when the time comes to finalize the FTCA as a CBO how fast will you cave in to all their "Suggested" rules that are total B.S. that were in the original NPRM and got shot down. The way these :poop:birds work is they will find a way to get their agenda accomplished no matter what.

They proved this when they pulled the NPRM without not even a thought of the MANDATORY "Risk Assessment" before proposing new rules.

Just how hard are you guys willing to step up after they take you aside and tell you flat out.. You use "OUR" suggestions or you dont become a CBO. They know they cant get that crap passed legally so they are going to dump it all on CBO's to be "the bad guy" to accomplish what they want.

EVERYONE screwed the pooch when you all took that "Lets Compromise" stance instead of taking a ZERO regulation stance and meeting in the middle. These guys KNOW if they pile a bunch of crap really high to get everyone in a panic that later down the road they can remove tiny pieces until the "Lets Compromise" snowflakes think "well this aint so bad" just like you ALL did with the first round or poo we all now have to eat.

Most sane people know FT has a HUGE stake on the line here after the Edgewater acquisition and we also know you have to as smart business people protect that. So look me in the eye and tell me "We are not going to cave in on anything other then what we have always preached as guidelines" and make me believe it.

Just what is Flite Tests acceptable limit?

I lost my last bit of faith in the Flite Test way when you guys teamed up with DJI. Specially after you guys publicly proclaimed that DJI race drone was a great beginner start. Have you all gone goofy? That is the LAST thing a new pilot would need to fly to learn on. Gonna stop about that now as Im gettin fired up. It irks me enough when 99% of the people that use their junk cant even say the initials correctly. DJI ARE the enemy driving a lot of this stuff getting dumped on us. Their hobby stuff is a side business. They have ZERO care for our level of aviation. They are just using it to finance their bigger part of their business which is the commercial stuff.

Go to post #32 and have a think on that. See if you figure out how you are all hand feeding the beast by giving in and "Compromising"

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-up-to-no-good-again.67945/page-2#post-670673

Flite Risk

I'm not going to pressure anyone into joining the FTCA in order to be able to fly. I would encourage everyone to join to get behind something they believe in. The FTCA is not a response to government regulations, although we will be taking part in helping with compliance. The FTCA is the result of a vision to protect and promote a hobby that we all love and want to serve. So at the end of the day if someone doesn't want to join, that's ok. But what I do believe is that we must all have something that keeps us together and focused on a central mission/objective.

I can put aside my nonconformist ways for the greater good.
I recognize there is strength in numbers.
Lets stand side by side all of us and tell "Them", show "Them"

We will not go quietly into the night, we will defend our Liberty.

M

MCNC

What about Walmart test in Fayettenam, nc and the ups drone delivery

Flite Risk

What about Walmart test in Fayettenam, nc and the ups drone delivery
If I were writing a fiction novel I would say in it, lets generate some RF noise and foil their success.

GPS scramblers every 2mi in a 6x6 grid then placing many orders within the grid should do it.......

I dont think that kind of book would sell very well so I will probably never write it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Like I said when all this hype over drone delivery started years ago. Its a non starter.

1. Battery tech is no where near viable for regular use like that.
2. The cost vs what can be delivered with a drone is a very bad ratio.
3. Safety. No matter how many safety sensors and drop methods there are some one IS going to get hurt either by stupidity or purpose and they will sue the delivery company out of existence.
4. People have been hyped against RC flight regarding terroristic acts or spying and don't like us flying in secluded spaces let alone have them flying over their homes on a regular basis. The media has killed this concept in their attempt to demonize US. The only people using drones to kill or spy are the very governments trying to push us out of the hobby.
5. Criminals are going to criminal just like a cats gonna cat. These will be the ones stealing deliveries or flat out hijacking the delivery drones outright. They already infest every other aspect of life and they are the ones who broke long standing self regulating rules we governed ourselves by. Besides DJI's dumbass marketing "Oh ANYONE can fly a drone" they are the biggest threat to our hobby. (Besides the crooked politicians jumping in to grab those Lobby Dollars recently)

So.. what does regulation actually do.. it is just another tax on the poor to feed the rich and keep them in power.

There are MANY other things where the tech can be of use and I agree those need to have qualified people doing it as well as integration into the air space. Our toys usually get flown in parks, private properties, or organized air fields. there is no need for a commercial drone to be in any of those areas on a regular basis. If an occasion does come up its a simple thing to have the commercial safety crew let other pilots know they are working in the area and the field is closed to recreational flight for a short time. We don't need to be integrated into any of that let alone regulated like a full scale aircraft. Following the original rules we have flown safely with for 100+ years is all that is needed. If what we have been doing is a threat to any full scale aviation in a particular instance that is more likely due to full scale not following their rules OR the fact that aircraft is already in trouble and our toys ain't gonna effect the outcome either way.