“Fly as hard as you can” challenge!

mayan

Legendary member
Well unfortunately the flight where I really pushed it and crashed twice the camera was too low and filmed the grass the whole time!😣 But here is the first flight. I did some fun stuff but my camera didn’t capture all of it since it was a little on the low side as well...
@The Hangar your flying is always beautiful and fun to watch. The cub was the very first plane that I built and never got it to fly properly. I tried it once again with a GoPro on it and flew well how to say sketchy, will have to give it a try again. I think your problem with the APC props at the moment might be the cold weather, might causing them to over tense. I'd actually try the more flexing type props during the winter and stiffer props for the summer, assuming it gets hot over there.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@The Hangar your flying is always beautiful and fun to watch. The cub was the very first plane that I built and never got it to fly properly. I tried it once again with a GoPro on it and flew well how to say sketchy, will have to give it a try again. I think your problem with the APC props at the moment might be the cold weather, might causing them to over tense. I'd actually try the more flexing type props during the winter and stiffer props for the summer, assuming it gets hot over there.
Thanks! Oh, good point. I’ll give them a try in the summer for sure.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well unfortunately the flight where I really pushed it and crashed twice the camera was too low and filmed the grass the whole time!😣 But here is the first flight. I did some fun stuff but my camera didn’t capture all of it since it was a little on the low side as well...
Nice flying! Inverted with that plane is pretty scary looking! It sure did not like it one bit. It's a shame the camera was too low. I would have loved to have seen the fun stuff that was above the shot!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Nice flying! Inverted with that plane is pretty scary looking! It sure did not like it one bit. It's a shame the camera was too low. I would have loved to have seen the fun stuff that was above the shot!
Thanks! I flew a lot harder the next flight, which was a total of 2-3 min. I crashed twice. I was doing things like corkscrews and all other sorts of things. If I am able to fly tomorrow, I’ll make sure to get the camera a lot higher!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I have too many planes... So I am planning on flying super hard over the winter and see if i have less planes by the end of it ;). I fly alone tho so ill see how i can video them
I use a GoPro on a head strap. Others have velcroed inexpensive cameras to hats. Still others have put their phone in a headband. Where there's a will, there's a way! I'm really looking forward to seeing your Fly Hard video. Good Luck! :)

Samh

Elite member
@SquirrelTail and I had an extreme foamy fly hard day, where we sent our 3d foamys to the limit. It was sooo fun, and we certainly sent it. I flew straight into a 75ft tall light pole, and just kept flying. We were doing knife edge circles around the pole, flushes, etc. Also ACDC is the best music to fly to. Back in Black and Thunderstruck are the best in my opinion, cause they have the best beat, perfect for those snappy things.

OliverW

Legendary member
@SquirrelTail and I had an extreme foamy fly hard day, where we sent our 3d foamys to the limit. It was sooo fun, and we certainly sent it. I flew straight into a 75ft tall light pole, and just kept flying. We were doing knife edge circles around the pole, flushes, etc. Also ACDC is the best music to fly to. Back in Black and Thunderstruck are the best in my opinion, cause they have the best beat, perfect for those snappy things.
You missed my fly hard flight yesterday. It ended in a crash but it was LOW. Scraping the tips in knife edge and in Jase Dussia snaps.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
You missed my fly hard flight yesterday. It ended in a crash but it was LOW. Scraping the tips in knife edge and in Jase Dussia snaps.
That sounds like too much fun! Any video?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I had a similar experience. I built the cub (2, actually) and never got it to fly for more than 30 seconds. I finally buddy boxed on a friend’s glider and then built and flew the old speedster successfully. Fast forward half a year and I built another cub for Flitefest 2019. Had a blast flying it there but when I got back after a few failed and disappointing attempts, I put it back in my closet and kinda forgot about it. Then I took it out today and had a blast!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
That really makes me want to try fpv! Great flying!
I think the quad's kind of stole the FPV market. Don't get me wrong, I've got some little quads I bomb around quite a bit with the kids and have a blast, but flying fixed wing FPV is another thrill entirely. I'd recommend everyone try it. Most of my flying (especially the bonsaing through the trees stuff) is done with cheap little All in one FPV cameras. I've got cheap box goggles so nothing fancy there either. All in all pretty inexpensive to take the hobby to another level. You can put that same little AIO camera and put it on just about anything. I've even flown my UMX Timber with it a time or two.

Warning, once you start FPV... you'll want to put it on everything! lol

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Just my $0.02 watching your cub take off... it takes A LOT of rudder to keep a tail dragger pointing true during take off. Same is true with "full scale" in my experience. A tail dragger will often get in the air before it is really flying, ie it will lift off the ground while still essentially stalled. This is fine but you have to fight the urge to use aileron to correct the dropping wing while taking off. If your wing is not making lift applying the aileron will only serve as an air brake and make the stall/turn/spin worse. It is best to try to level the wings with the rudder until sufficient speed is achieved...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just my $0.02 watching your cub take off... it takes A LOT of rudder to keep a tail dragger pointing true during take off. Same is true with "full scale" in my experience. A tail dragger will often get in the air before it is really flying, ie it will lift off the ground while still essentially stalled. This is fine but you have to fight the urge to use aileron to correct the dropping wing while taking off. If your wing is not making lift applying the aileron will only serve as an air brake and make the stall/turn/spin worse. It is best to try to level the wings with the rudder until sufficient speed is achieved...
Thanks so much for the tips! I will definitely keep this in mind when I fly tomorrow!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think the quad's kind of stole the FPV market. Don't get me wrong, I've got some little quads I bomb around quite a bit with the kids and have a blast, but flying fixed wing FPV is another thrill entirely. I'd recommend everyone try it. Most of my flying (especially the bonsaing through the trees stuff) is done with cheap little All in one FPV cameras. I've got cheap box goggles so nothing fancy there either. All in all pretty inexpensive to take the hobby to another level. You can put that same little AIO camera and put it on just about anything. I've even flown my UMX Timber with it a time or two.

I'm trying to decide between the Eachine ev800 and the vr-007. Which ones are better? I plan on doing mainly los flying but I really want to do a little fpv, probably on a simple scout! Is there a cheap all in one camera on banggood (or some other site) you recommend? What kind of battery would you hook up to it?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I don't have the 800, but I've got the 007 for the kids. They love them but I find that they hurt my eyes. Given the choice of the two, I'd take the 800 for sure. My main googles are spektrum boxes. I like them because the screen is detachable which is nice when you switch from FPV to LOS several times in one flight (I just mount the screen on my DX8) or I can go full FPV and put the screen in the goggles and fly that way. Plus you can have a couple spectrum screens to give to other bystanders to watch what you're doing. I've been looking to upgrade but just haven't made it a priority yet... to much fun spending $$$ on other things, but I do use the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra a lot...

As far as AIO cameras go they get a lot of hate, and TBH they DO kind of suck. BUT that doesn't mean they don't have their place. I've got 3 or 4 that I purchased a long time ago that are miserable. They are only .25mw and the camera is atrocious.
Then I found these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY3QSIE/?tag=lstir-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VSW41LN/?tag=lstir-20

I've got a couple, can't remember for sure which is which anymore but it doesn't seem to matter. Find an all in one with 200mW and a cloverleaf and it will do great in my experience. There are several on BG and Amazon for under $20.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
What kind of battery would you hook up to it?
As far as a battery goes, the AIO cameras I like are 1S (3.2 - 5 volt) You can either run them with a separate lipo (i've used old micro drone batteries) or run them off of your BEC on your ESC. Not that i'd recommend it but I've also rigged up a lead that can plug into one cell of a balance lead if you're flying something you don't want to put a lot of work into converting to FPV. It does drain one cell a bit faster but in a 4 or 5 min flight it doesn't seem to draw enough to damage a battery.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
As far as a battery goes, the AIO cameras I like are 1S (3.2 - 5 volt) You can either run them with a separate lipo (i've used old micro drone batteries) or run them off of your BEC on your ESC. Not that i'd recommend it but I've also rigged up a lead that can plug into one cell of a balance lead if you're flying something you don't want to put a lot of work into converting to FPV. It does drain one cell a bit faster but in a 4 or 5 min flight it doesn't seem to draw enough to damage a battery.
Thanks for the info and I'll definitely look into this. I have a lot of batteries for my champ that look like they will work perfectly for this. fpv on the champ would actually be super fun!

mayan

Legendary member
+1

Thanks! I flew a lot harder the next flight, which was a total of 2-3 min. I crashed twice. I was doing things like corkscrews and all other sorts of things. If I am able to fly tomorrow, I’ll make sure to get the camera a lot higher!
Now you are obligated too :). I want to see a corkscrew maneuver :).

That sounds like too much fun! Any video?
+1

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:.

@Hondo76251 Thanks for all the useful information :).