“Fly as hard as you can” challenge!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I challenged myself today, inspired by all the vids of seeing you guys fly the SNOT out of your machines. Got me thinking I need to push myself harder, with that is always a price. No vid because I wanted to practice some before I subjected you all to half a$$ footage.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, plus some more good :p

The good is the fact that I had 3" of powder to play with the floats on the Sportster. Got some take off and landing practice, did break a 10x45 prop in a nose over on the first take off but was quickly changed. Found out some right rudder really straightens out the trajectory for take off, and did a couple landings smooth as butter. While in the air I got 3 decent flat spins and some sick inverted, not figure eights yet but some turns in both directions. First pack done!

Second pack was much of the same as far as aerobatics, some snappy rolls and some lined up loops, the low passes were awesome and coordinated with turns involved so I am getting used to keeping the plane at lower altitudes with out being nervous of crashing. Being that I was flying hard and pushing limits, started doing rolls and knife edges closer and closer to the ground... to bad there was no film on this. Battery getting low, one more knife edge and bring it home. Then I pulled out of the knife edge, by pulling up and not rolling, which comes the bad...
20191204_141148.jpg
20191204_141157.jpg

So this will be the end of the Sportster, even if I fix it, it will be ugly, but out of this comes some good. Although i have to make a new firewall again to fix the pod, I didn't break the prop. More good, I can add this to my VTOL list. Even more good, I now have 4 servos to play with, 2 of which will go into the Goblin. And this gives me more confidence in my aerobatics abilities to play with on the Bushwhacker.

In conclusion, am I upset? Not at all! I see this as a success, got my take offs and landings down, tried the flat spins a few times which amazed me that I got it, inverted and knife edges have skilled up a notch or two, plus more servos to maiden the Goblin. It's a great day.

Thanks for reading

mayan

Legendary member
I challenged myself today, inspired by all the vids of seeing you guys fly the SNOT out of your machines. Got me thinking I need to push myself harder, with that is always a price. No vid because I wanted to practice some before I subjected you all to half a$$ footage.

The good is the fact that I had 3" of powder to play with the floats on the Sportster. Got some take off and landing practice, did break a 10x45 prop in a nose over on the first take off but was quickly changed. Found out some right rudder really straightens out the trajectory for take off, and did a couple landings smooth as butter. While in the air I got 3 decent flat spins and some sick inverted, not figure eights yet but some turns in both directions. First pack done!

Second pack was much of the same as far as aerobatics, some snappy rolls and some lined up loops, the low passes were awesome and coordinated with turns involved so I am getting used to keeping the plane at lower altitudes with out being nervous of crashing. Being that I was flying hard and pushing limits, started doing rolls and knife edges closer and closer to the ground... to bad there was no film on this. Battery getting low, one more knife edge and bring it home. Then I pulled out of the knife edge, by pulling up and not rolling, which comes the bad... View attachment 149929 View attachment 149930
So this will be the end of the Sportster, even if I fix it, it will be ugly, but out of this comes some good. Although i have to make a new firewall again to fix the pod, I didn't break the prop. More good, I can add this to my VTOL list. Even more good, I now have 4 servos to play with, 2 of which will go into the Goblin. And this gives me more confidence in my aerobatics abilities to play with on the Bushwhacker.

In conclusion, am I upset? Not at all! I see this as a success, got my take offs and landings down, tried the flat spins a few times which amazed me that I got it, inverted and knife edges have skilled up a notch or two, plus more servos to maiden the Goblin. It's a great day.

Thanks for reading
Poor baby :(, hate to see her go down. Well good news is the goblin min wax her or wrap her with packing tape and she be sweet just belly landing in the snow. I want snow! I want to fly off of snow land in snow. I want snow!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I promised I'd join the fun so here I am, I just can't believe you started the party without me :). Any how I said I join with the Easy Edge by @Headbang but all the ones I built I RIPed too, during practice. I still need to build a new one to keep practicing my 3D flying and use it to join the challenge but in the mean time here is video of me going crazy with my Spifir, or like @BATTLEAXE said fly the snot out of it :). Enjoy!

Great flying, mayan! That was definitely "hard as you can!" Inverted low passes are well beyond my current skill level. I'm going to have to step up my game if I'm going to keep up!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Second pack was much of the same as far as aerobatics, some snappy rolls and some lined up loops, the low passes were awesome and coordinated with turns involved so I am getting used to keeping the plane at lower altitudes with out being nervous of crashing. Being that I was flying hard and pushing limits, started doing rolls and knife edges closer and closer to the ground... to bad there was no film on this. Battery getting low, one more knife edge and bring it home. Then I pulled out of the knife edge, by pulling up and not rolling, which comes the bad... View attachment 149929 View attachment 149930

Thanks for reading
Bummer, man! Your builds are always so good, I hate to see them crash. It sounds like you did some awesome flying until the unfortunate ending, though. It's a darn shame you didn't get video of all that! But hey, who doesn't need more servos!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Bummer, man! Your builds are always so good, I hate to see them crash. It sounds like you did some awesome flying until the unfortunate ending, though. It's a darn shame you didn't get video of all that! But hey, who doesn't need more servos!
Yea I was considering doing video and I am kinda wishing I did, I actually laughed. It looked like someone spiking a football in the end zone, it just exploded, straight down and yes there was a bounce.

Wildthing

Legendary member

Thanks for reading
That sucks, such a cool looking plane.

mayan

Legendary member
Great flying, mayan! That was definitely "hard as you can!" Inverted low passes are well beyond my current skill level. I'm going to have to step up my game if I'm going to keep up!
Thanks buddy! :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:. Inverted with the Spitfire is easy its really stable flying that way, when you get closer to the ground though remember that what you need to bail out is first throttle up with a bit of up elevator and then roll out.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeaahhhh. You've seen my try at that, right? :LOL: Now if I had done it with a bit of down elevator, I'd of been OK. ;)
I was gonna make a joke about the inverted up elevator thing... but then I though about my flight today with that sudden gust of gravity... and it would be serving it to myself lol! I make fun of myself enough to cover anyone else who wants to take over that job, but anyone who wants to put in some overtime is welcome to :LOL:

mayan

Legendary member
Up elevator and then roll while inverted sounds like a lawn dart to me, I think you would have to start the roll first and then quickly up elevator. I am still trying to get comfortable flying inverted so I stay up high anyways and if it is a plane where the roll is slow I go higher :D:D
Aka spitfire! The roll isn’t very slow but the wing tip stall is noticeable. I think!

mayan

Legendary member
Up elevator and then roll while inverted sounds like a lawn dart to me, I think you would have to start the roll first and then quickly up elevator. I am still trying to get comfortable flying inverted so I stay up high anyways and if it is a plane where the roll is slow I go higher :D:D
BTW I’ll try to get a friend to film what I mean on the sim.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Heres the sukhoi I have @SquirrelTail this is a awesome plane you should get it.sorry didn't get the landing my little brother arms were getting sore. View attachment 150709 video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KcPBKEujiklcJ-yQvGy-N37SPWVbwKCl/view?usp=drivesdk
That was some seriously cool flying @mach1 rc ! I just looked up the Sukhoi, and it is on my list of rtf planes to buy now! Pretty high up since I want a good 3D plane that looks cool and this seems to be a really good option. I actually had never heard of it before you mentioned it. Tha other planes that I would consider are the eflite extra 300 and some of the flex innovation planes. Also, @SquirrelTail have you ever flown the Hangar 9 Sukhoi?

mach1 rc

Master member
That was some seriously cool flying @mach1 rc ! I just looked up the Sukhoi, and it is on my list of rtf planes to buy now! Pretty high up since I want a good 3D plane that looks cool and this seems to be a really good option. I actually had never heard of it before you mentioned it. Tha other planes that I would consider are the eflite extra 300 and some of the flex innovation planes. Also, @SquirrelTail have you ever flown the Hangar 9 Sukhoi?
Yes definitely should consider the sukhoi but for some reason I've found a bunch of other planes are able to do a knife edges better then this one. The extra 300 is a plane I really like but it cost more so I went with the sukhoi.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yes definitely should consider the sukhoi but for some reason I've found a bunch of other planes are able to do a knife edges better then this one. The extra 300 is a plane I really like but it cost more so I went with the sukhoi.
Since the extra has more wood in it it would be harder to fix as well...