šŸ”„šŸ”„Rekindling the FT FirešŸ”„šŸ”„

clolsonus

Thanks for sharing some of the background of what's going on at FT via a podcast. I met Josh and his wife (and some of the other team) one year at oshkosh and it was immediately apparent that this is one of the nicest families you'll ever meet. Thanks for all you do!

fdnyjery

MR.Kachner; Just finished listening to your new Pod cast and I see there are a few responses that will be similar to this one.I have been with FT since almost its inception in JOSH"S garage where they would video the building with fom how to build one of their kits and even show how the new kit flew. Josh has done an incredible job with that. I think those early years were excellent for people who wanted to get into the hobby economically and the videos were a training school for whoeverwanted to learn to build.Most importantly it was a great transition bridge from the Balsa Builders to foamies.AS progress marches on the FT crew seemed to get away from the simple kits and have headed towards the more pre built foam planes, such as ...ARF ...RTF Almost ready to fly and Ready to fly charge the battery in your cigarett lighter in the car on the way to the field. Those 2 models teaches absolutely nothing about the Hobby. :eek:((
I belong to a club of 127 members few fly balsa and a dozen of us fly foamies from the FT plans and the free plans on RC GROUPS.I say to each his own and I realize that FT is a business and they have to satisfy the general public and their wants. I wonder how long these ARFs and RTFs will stay in the Hobby my feeling is not many.Even the model Mags cater to the Jet Boys and 1000.00 dollar radios with little interest in the builders whether foam or someones own design. Thank you for reading this toolong post. Respecrfully Submitted
Jerry OKeefe FTCA00000222

2jujube7

I personally think that ft is forgetting why they first started up....
i am well aware of the 60+ simple planes that ft has.. but for the past years.. we haven't seen any new simple ft planes released...
the simple planes are not that hard to design, and i believe that a lot of people want a plane that is easy to build, and flies great...
if you've ever flown the simple ft spitfire you'll know what i am talking about...
not saying anything about them having to release plans or anything like that...
but just a couple of new great looking & flying simple planes...

i believe this is what @The Hangar was talking about, how now all ft's new planes are master series planes, that take a lot of time to build...
Because when you are trying to hold a job/school, and trying to fly planes you do not really have time to spend 8 hours building a master series plane, that won't really fly as well/better than the standard ft ones.

Just my opinion

Honestly, I agree. Although the new MS planes look beautiful and are very scale, I prefer the simple ones. Ex. I've made 5 Tiny Trainers so far and flown them until they've broken, and they just fly great. I'd like to stick with building the occasional MS plane (like an A-10 :D), but have the ease of building, flying, and repairing the simple ones, especially because the simple planes fly just as good. I also feel like it's easier to modify and have fun with the simple planes, as you don't really have to keep up the aesthetic curves to make it look nice.

I'm in school and on a school sport team, so I don't have the time to build a big complicated plane that I would just be scared of crashing. Having a simple plane that repairs easy makes flying much more fun. I think there's an old FT saying goes: fly, crash, repair, repeat.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
question: are you going to release all the MS plans to the FTCA members?
No, none of Johnā€™s designs will be released as free plans. However, in the future there will be an option to buy full size prints of the plans for Johnā€™s designs. The plans that are released to FTCA members are going to be relatively simple designs, like the Waco and simple stick. Thatā€™s good news for guys wanting simple planes since that means that FT will be releasing more simple designs in the near future.

Byrdman

I listened to the podcast and and have only been around about 2 months, so maybe my opinion doesn't count as much as some of the others here.

IMO, I think there are plenty of free plans already out and available on the site. The kits and plans that are out already give plenty of options for me. I can throw most of them together in a few hours and I can plan-bash them how I want. Personally I do not have the time or patience to scratch build a MS plane, so the plans would not be much help to me, but I realize I'm not speaking for everyone.

Maybe a new twist on FTCA membership and plan releases that could satisfy everyone a little, would be re-releasing the existing plans in bigger sizes and with re-designed reinforcements to handle the additional forces and motor sizes. Maybe that would be a compromise for everyone. I believe in a few videos back around 2018 or 2019, you guys started building bigger versions of your kits and said kits and plans would eventually be available for the bigger versions. Did that ever come to fruition? I don't think I have seen any SBK's or plans at bigger sizes but I would like to. Maybe build videos on bigger versions or a video on how to scale up with different software and what additional reinforcements are needed at bigger sizes for a FT Tech video.

You are not going to make everyone out here happy, so concentrate on on what does make you happy and grows the business. Personally, I think it is reasonable to keep the MS plans separate from the free stuff since it's your intellectual property.

BTW, if you ever come back to Lake Wales FL for a Flite Fest, let me know if I can help in any way. I live about 5 miles from LW airport.

Also BTW, I cant wait to see/build the Tutor

Thanks for the ability to give some feedback!

Byrdman

Marzipan

I listened to the podcast and and have only been around about 2 months, so maybe my opinion doesn't count as much as some of the others here.

IMO, I think there are plenty of free plans already out and available on the site. The kits and plans that are out already give plenty of options for me. I can throw most of them together in a few hours and I can plan-bash them how I want. Personally I do not have the time or patience to scratch build a MS plane, so the plans would not be much help to me, but I realize I'm not speaking for everyone.

Maybe a new twist on FTCA membership and plan releases that could satisfy everyone a little, would be re-releasing the existing plans in bigger sizes and with re-designed reinforcements to handle the additional forces and motor sizes. Maybe that would be a compromise for everyone. I believe in a few videos back around 2018 or 2019, you guys started building bigger versions of your kits and said kits and plans would eventually be available for the bigger versions. Did that ever come to fruition? I don't think I have seen any SBK's or plans at bigger sizes but I would like to. Maybe build videos on bigger versions or a video on how to scale up with different software and what additional reinforcements are needed at bigger sizes for a FT Tech video.

You are not going to make everyone out here happy, so concentrate on on what does make you happy and grows the business. Personally, I think it is reasonable to keep the MS plans separate from the free stuff since it's your intellectual property.

BTW, if you ever come back to Lake Wales FL for a Flite Fest, let me know if I can help in any way. I live about 5 miles from LW airport.

Also BTW, I cant wait to see/build the Tutor

Thanks for the ability to give some feedback!

Byrdman

indeed! there are so many free plans out there...they may not be FT actual's, but there is no shortage of selection!

I just think the fact that FT said the plans would always be free and then the move to making them all pay for has stuck in the craw of many members. understandably so, it was one of the tenets of what Flite Test stood for and grew on. alas, that generosity was used and abused and they had to do this to save Flite Test. their name was being tarnished by the pirates products being so bad, but being sold on the recognition of being a FT plane. they were being inundated with support tickets for inferior products that did not come from them. what is impressive though is how they said they still made everything right by those coming to them, which would have been a financial burden.

it sucks...the 1% ruined it for the 99%. :(

tomlogan1

Elite member
Nobody deserves anything for free. For those who demand a free ride, try North Korea or perhaps a sunnier clime, Cuba. Flite test is a business. For a public corproation, the first responsibility is to the stockholders. Since Flite Test is privately held, they have a responsibility to return to their funding partner(s) a respectable return on their investment. If Flite Test used free plans to generate interest, it worked! There is, however, no obligation to continue to do so. Like many, I do prefer the older, simpler designs. The Tiny Trainer in particular is the first plane I scratch built. While the free plans were convenient, the techniques that I learned watching the videos and building planes is something that i treasure. While not a master series capable builder, I've found a few pearls in their techniques as well. The forum here provides a plethora of plans and information that will keep me busy for some time to come. So if Flite Test wants to grow and expand from its beginnings, I say good for them. When you plant a seed and nurture it you end up with something you can harvest. The same is true for Flite Test.

Marzipan

Nobody deserves anything for free. For those who demand a free ride, try North Korea or perhaps a sunnier clime, Cuba. Flite test is a business. For a public corproation, the first responsibility is to the stockholders. Since Flite Test is privately held, they have a responsibility to return to their funding partner(s) a respectable return on their investment. If Flite Test used free plans to generate interest, it worked! There is, however, no obligation to continue to do so. Like many, I do prefer the older, simpler designs. The Tiny Trainer in particular is the first plane I scratch built. While the free plans were convenient, the techniques that I learned watching the videos and building planes is something that i treasure. While not a master series capable builder, I've found a few pearls in their techniques as well. The forum here provides a plethora of plans and information that will keep me busy for some time to come. So if Flite Test wants to grow and expand from its beginnings, I say good for them. When you plant a seed and nurture it you end up with something you can harvest. The same is true for Flite Test.

yes...and the comments are just back and forth arguments of the same points and principles. in short, things change...change with them or be left behind.

let's move onto better and more positive thoughts and discussions! :D

ThatPolishHotdog

yes...and the comments are just back and forth arguments of the same points and principles. in short, things change...change with them or be left behind.

let's move onto better and more positive thoughts and discussions! :D

Moving on from the free-plan issue that seems to be the biggest topic of discussion, I think another aspect is how FT has grown. I've watched them since 2016, and got hooked after David but a butane afterburner in a vampire. For me, it was those kinds of videos when FT was smaller. The challenges, the old team, the small local vibe that they had was what I liked.

While I don't discourage growth or think the new team is doing a bad job, I think what I miss the most is that small town aspect of FT. It felt like a small little community that just had fun doing the most random stuff, and I feel like the newer style has lost that charisma.

Marzipan

Moving on from the free-plan issue that seems to be the biggest topic of discussion, I think another aspect is how FT has grown. I've watched them since 2016, and got hooked after David but a butane afterburner in a vampire. For me, it was those kinds of videos when FT was smaller. The challenges, the old team, the small local vibe that they had was what I liked.

While I don't discourage growth or think the new team is doing a bad job, I think what I miss the most is that small town aspect of FT. It felt like a small little community that just had fun doing the most random stuff, and I feel like the newer style has lost that charisma.

absolutely! FT can't forget their roots...where they came from, but, as things change and grow and get busier, much falls to the wayside. let's hope they can catch themselves.

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
I can reveal a little, but don't tell anyone...
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.53.49 PM.png